No 39%  39%  [ 43 ]
Yes, because I'm on the Spectrum 37%  37%  [ 41 ]
Yes, for reasons other than being on the Spectrum 24%  24%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 111

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 8:28 am

I see myself being a trouble maker magnet due to body language. Unlike before, I don't have any anxiety that would 'disable' me in any way. I simply have trust issues afterwards, and sick of being involved with people, EVEN I get the body languages right.
Routines? Comfortable. But breaking it wont frustrate me, which I managed much better as I got older. But the downside is, I end up being less organized on schedules overtime.
The sensory issues? I can manage. XD I can have sensory overload, but not enough to make me sick or disoriented, or otherwise. Just losing focus and frustration, the typical reaction (and excuse). I somewhat managed quickly as well, probably because I live somewhere where almost everywhere I go is loud, and I ended up being dragged into parties.
And meltdowns? They won't know. And they don't HAVE to know. Overtime, duration turns shorter. I simply need a few minute break, then I'm fine. And no, I don't go home and cry about it afterwards.

But emotions... Simple vigilance over people, but not enough to classified as paranoid. It's the only thing I have to manage. But yet, this won't disable me enough, on the workforce at least. And I've seen many NTs that are far worse than me to be honest. And no, I never took any meds regarding to this.

Overall, I don't considered myself as disabled. But in legal terms, I ended up that way.

But if allergies is considered as disabling, then I do. :lol: My allergy is more disabling than being an aspie alone.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 10:32 pm

I don't explicitly say that I am disabled, but it is obvious that I am not normal and a few of comorbidities are noticeable, even to a bystander.

I will identify with it if I can trust the person.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 1:16 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Yes, due to my panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, depression and a host of other things.

those are the real problems, all the comobridities that go with asperger, not the syndrome itself.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 1:18 am

sometimes i do, and sometimes i dont. cant make up my mind. i dont really care about having asperger, but the insomnia an stomach aches and general anxiety and depression are annoying as hell, as is the society here who dont accept people who are different. my inability to be around people is affecting my relationship with my family members, and that really sucks.

other than those things, i couldnt care less. it's no problem.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2014, 5:26 am

There shouldn't be any negative connotation to being disabled, but there is. As a result I wish I didn't have to identify as disabled, but I have physical disabilities as well as ASD/ADHD/etc, and grew up with the label. Hated it and only gaining self-acceptance now.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 5:49 am

Technically, I think I am. Asperger's is a serious intellectual disability as I see it, and should be treated as one.. it greatly affects my quality of life and I doubt I could get through life without the help of a therapist.

I don't identify as disabled because I'm independent, but I don't take that for granted because I sure struggled to get to where I am.