Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2014, 7:30 pm

so it's Saturday night, I feel that I'm strange, regarding not doing what others do on a Saturday night, such as hanging out with friends, or going to the club ( not my scene lol). but instead I choose to be by myself and play videogames. I bask in the thought of being in a comfortable environment, and I rarely get lonely. is this normal? I don't like hanging out in chaotic places that are not structured. does anyone else act in this manner? people think I'm wierd to not want human contact. I've recently discovered that I might have Asperger's syndrome. I'm not saying that I do have it, as I have only read articles on line regarding autism.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 7:38 pm

The trick to enjoying being alone is to plan what to do. You have done that. Congratulations.

Oh, and welcome to Wrong Planet!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2014, 7:43 pm

thank you for the welcome. it is a pleasure to meet you

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 7:47 pm

Is this normal? Is to me. Human contact is too draining. A comfortable environment sounds ideal. Like you, I rarely get lonely either. If this is weird, I'm not seeing it.

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2014, 7:55 pm

finally someone who thinks like me

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2014, 8:27 pm

I haven't had a friend in nearly 5 years. Do I get lonely?I mean once every few months or so I will have a particularly bad day and all I can think is "Man, it sure would be nice to have somebody that would come over right now, chill out and chat about life, and watch some movies with me." Actually, I have a boyfriend now, so I do have somebody to fill that once in a blue moon loneliness, but even when I didn't, it was something I'd be a bit down about for a night and move on the next day content with things.

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2014, 9:23 pm

yes, I have had relationships, but it always ends up with the same outcome. I always end up getting too drained by having another constantly near me. I'm pretty particular on needing a personal space where it can unwind and defuse with no one else around. once in a great while I wish that I could be like other people. don't get me wrong, I'm not totally devoid of human contact. I enjoy being around my parents, family, close friends. but for the most part I just enjoy being by myself.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 9:23 pm

There are plenty of times I enjoy being alone, even on the weekends. If you enjoy doing what you are doing, keep at it. I tried the party/club/bar scene and had to be intoxicated to really deal with. Since I don't drink anymore, I prefer more quiet evenings at home, especially I am getting old-47.

Welcome to wrong planet.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2014, 9:26 pm

Metalgear29 wrote:
yes, I have had relationships, but it always ends up with the same outcome. I always end up getting too drained by having another constantly near me. I'm pretty particular on needing a personal space where it can unwind and defuse with no one else around.

First relationship and this has been my biggest issue... still trying to figure out how to define boundaries.

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2014, 9:49 pm

Let me ask this question? have any of you felt at ease in certain social situations? I find that structured environments are easy for me to be in, such as playing in a poker tournament, where there are hundreds of people, but they share one common goal. and vice versa, if I'm in a crowded bar, with no order, I get extremely bothered

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2014, 12:43 am

If you don't get lonely, it surely shouldn't be a problem. I know too little about other people's lives to be able to tell how much is it normal to be alone, but I doubt that everyone attaches special importance to Saturdays. I, too, like to be with others more if it's with a purpose; even if we may talk about things unrelated to the purpose too.

LaughingAtTheSky
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2014, 2:28 am

Most of the things I enjoy doing are solitary things, such as making music, photography, walking. I do have a few friends, but I prefer most of my free time to be on my own.

One thing I've found really useful to combat loneliness is journal writing. This kind of enables you to be your own best friend.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 2:48 am

I'm probably in the minority with having no friends aside from my parents and my dog.

I have no issue with it either nowadays. Guess it comes from being a loner in high school, working alone on projects (I had something in my report in school that I had the right to do so) and not doing things with people outside of school.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2014, 3:16 am

I have been alone so long, I would not know or comprehend what it is like to live any other way.

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2014, 10:26 am

I guess as long as being solitary doesn't confine us and inhibit our dreams and goals, it could serve purposeful to ourselves. I'm always thinking when I'm alone, whereas when I'm around others I rarely get lost in thought, and I find people are distracting

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 10:56 am

I crave having time alone. I've constantly got people around me.

The only alone time I get is for about 3 hours on a Sunday when I go for my walk. I look forward to it all week.

It's the only time I get where I can clear my thoughts and refresh myself for the week ahead.

If you are happy and comfortable in your own company, then how can that be weird?