Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 2:43 am

Had my first visit with the psychologist today. I was so nervous beforehand it was difficult to fill out the forms with any kind of legibility and I was sweating so profusely I began to wish I'd thought to bring another shirt.
When I got in he asked me a few general questions and then asked why I thought I had Aspergers. I couldn't physically tell him so I handed him my iPad on which I had prepared earlier about a gazillion dot points on exactly why I thought I was on the spectrum. He read these (took about ten minutes - I'm not kidding there were a lot of them) he made a few comments every now and then, asked for clarification etc.
While he was doing this I couldn't help but notice the clocks. There were two clocks, on opposite sides of the room. One to my left and one to the right. I was in the middle. They were set to the same time but the second hands were 20 seconds apart. The ticking was out of sync. They were so distracting, I kept looking from one to the other, right to left. Finally I had to ask, "Why have you got two clocks?" I told him my observations.
He smiled and said, "They're my Aspergers indicators. Only people with Aspergers comment on the clocks."
I began to like the guy from that moment. I don't normally like people that quickly.
At the end of the session he said judging from the evidence, his observations and how I present, he would be very surprised if I didn't have Aspergers.
I asked about formal diagnosis and he said that was up to me, but there is no funding available for adults so there would be little benefit, and besides, you already know you have Aspergers.
I can see his point. I guess I will remain self-diagnosed then.
I have to say he is the most likeable, astute psychologist I have ever encountered. He wants to work on some of the major issues related to my Aspergers in future visits. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I don't care if I'm not official. I know I have AS and I think I may be on the right track at last.
Just want to say thanks to all the people here who have given their support over the last few months. You people are awesome!

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 9:04 am

Raleigh, that's good, right? I mean, now you might be a bit more sure about the whole thing. How do you feel about it now a few hours later? Anyway, the psychologist sounds cool and it's good that he wants to help you. Good to hear it went well.

(I wonder what it'd mean if someone with AS didn't comment on the clocks.)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Sep 2014, 10:02 am

Raleigh wrote:
While he was doing this I couldn't help but notice the clocks. There were two clocks, on opposite sides of the room. One to my left and one to the right. I was in the middle. They were set to the same time but the second hands were 20 seconds apart. The ticking was out of sync. They were so distracting, I kept looking from one to the other, right to left. Finally I had to ask, "Why have you got two clocks?" I told him my observations.
This made me smile because it could be describing me - most times this sort of thing practically screams at me for attention.
Quote:
He smiled and said, "They're my Aspergers indicators. Only people with Aspergers comment on the clocks."
Heh, cute - and I think I would have warmed to him immediately too, after that. :lol:

Quote:
I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I don't care if I'm not official. I know I have AS and I think I may be on the right track at last.
Excellent. That realisation and discovery is like the final piece in a jigsaw - suddenly, a lifetime of issues has a reason.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 10:04 am

What a clever little diagnostician! I love the clocks story.

Yeah, diagnosing Asperger's Syndrome (AS) in adults seems to be sketchy in a lot of nations. Whether it is the lack of an approved standardized test or funding, it is always something. But, the good news is that your diagnostician has agreed with your self-diagnosis.

Have you considered completing the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre's tests? Aside from the Autism Quotient (AQ) test, the others are factor tests for AS and other autism-spectrum disorders and include the Empathy Quotient (EQ), Systemizing Quotient (SQ) and Friendship Quotient (FQ) tests. You might find them to be interesting. But, of course, there is no requirement to complete them, either.

Congratulations!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 10:08 am

rebbieh wrote:
Raleigh, that's good, right? I mean, now you might be a bit more sure about the whole thing. How do you feel about it now a few hours later? Anyway, the psychologist sounds cool and it's good that he wants to help you. Good to hear it went well.

It would probably mean that it's bothering me or you, but we're trying our best to be polite and not mention it.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 10:11 am

Ha, yeah probably. That has actually happened to me. My ex-therapist had two clocks and they were about five minutes apart. I thought about it many times but never mentioned it.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 11:48 am

I like the clocks story. Although, (I'm trying to place myself in that position and see what I would have done). is noticing that he had two clocks enough to make him think you have Aspergers or do you have to notice that they are 20 seconds apart? Or is it the ticking of the clocks? Or?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 1:34 pm

rebbieh wrote:

Sorry, had to sleep. Different time zones and all that.
Anyway, This morning I'm still feeling good - kind of restless and excited and pacing around. I actually feel like I want to do something instead of sitting around on the couch all day. I have a strange urge to clean??? Weird.
This psycologist didn't talk to me like the others. He didn't ask awkward questions about my past or ask how I felt about things. He was very practical and he drew diagrams, which I liked.
I'm thinking the clocks are his little joke but the idea of using them as a diagnostic aid is ingenious. I still smile every time I think about them.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

Good to hear. :) Do clean if you feel like it. Use that energy while you have it!

My psychologist draws diagrams as well. I like that. Makes things clearer and easier to understand.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 1:57 pm

Rebbieh,
This is great! I am so glad you are feeling better.

Wreck It Ralph

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 2:02 pm

nyxjord wrote:
I like the clocks story. Although, (I'm trying to place myself in that position and see what I would have done). is noticing that he had two clocks enough to make him think you have Aspergers or do you have to notice that they are 20 seconds apart? Or is it the ticking of the clocks? Or?

I think it was the whole package.
1) My eyes were drawn to the clocks, and having my chair placed between them meant it was really noticeable when I looked from one to the other because I had to turn my whole head.
2) I could barely string two words together coherently before this but I complained very clearly about the clocks.
3) I sounded quite rude now I think of it. I suppose an NT would have made a joke about it or observed more casually. I was indignant.
4) I was disturbed by the clocks. I wanted him to fix them.
At the same time I don't think it would have mattered if I had commented on them or not because I was clearly agitated by them

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 2:08 pm

skibum wrote:
Rebbieh,
This is great! I am so glad you are feeling better.

Sorry but I'm not really feeling any better. Perhaps you meant Raleigh?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 2:28 pm

Congrats , Raleigh

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 2:51 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

Have you considered completing the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre's tests? Aside from the Autism Quotient (AQ) test, the others are factor tests for AS and other autism-spectrum disorders and include the Empathy Quotient (EQ), Systemizing Quotient (SQ) and Friendship Quotient (FQ) tests. You might find them to be interesting. But, of course, there is no requirement to complete them, either.

I've done this test, and most other online Aspergers tests, including one that automatically signed me up for a dating site! That was awkward to explain to my SO. I've always scored well on the AS side of each test. The Aspie Quiz was 159/200 but I don't think I've saved any of the other scores.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 12:47 am

Congrats on your semi-official diagnosis.

I think I would have been so hyperfocused on the assessment I would have never even noticed there were clocks. I miss things that are right in front of me all the time.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 1:36 am

It is nice to know that there are some good professionals out there that listen to their clients. When I met with my psychiatrist for the first time - about six weeks ago - I was extremely nervous and had no idea whether they would be receptive to my thinking about Asperger's/Autism Spectrum Disorder. But in fact they were and they did feel that what I described to them did fit the clinical picture. They did quite legitimately ask what problems am I currently suffering as a result of Autism/Asperger's now? - not what I have suffered in the past - but what is causing me any stress currently.?Well, I said that it was really only the issue of anxiety - since I did gradually learn to cope with work and social situations much better than I did when I was younger. He also offered to do a detailed formal evaluation if I wished an official diagnoses. I suppose in my case - I will probably go for that - for my own personal psychological reasons. I guess we all have different ways of looking at something that personal.

- Albert Einstein