Any other aspie with low pain tolerance?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

How is your pain tolerance? (only aspies)
Poll ended at 16 Feb 2019, 8:13 am
I have low pain tolerance 56%  56%  [ 10 ]
I have average pain tolerance 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
I have high pain tolerance 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
I am non aspie and I want to see the results 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2016, 8:13 am

I read that aspies have higher pain tolerance than NTs but I have lower pain tolerance than the average person

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 8:16 am

Mine is lower too. Kids used to think it was hilarious to poke me repeatedly and hear me say "ow."

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2016, 8:29 am

I have quite low pain tolerance, I'm very aware of any aches and pains in my body. This in the past has lead to a lot of hypochondria, going to a&e a lot, ringing nhs direct, thinking I'm dying often. Though I'm a lot more chilled out these days and it's not as much of an issue.

I would have thought having sensory issues (hypersensitive) would go hand in hand with low pain tolerance, but I know a lot of Aspies are hyposensitive or can swing between the two.

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 8:42 am

I believe I have average to low pain tolerance.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 8:46 am

I have high pain tolerance remember at school kids trying to give me Chinese burns no one could hurt me..

Now I live in constant pain just varies on the amount its not constant but it doesn't really bother me other than make me hesitate in what I do sometimes when it's bad.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 8:49 am

This depends on your definition of "pain".
If i assume the NT definition (hitting your head, cutting your finger, that sort of thing), then my tolerance is almost freakishly high; although i do not consider those situations as pain, rather some mild discomfort.

Using my definition, things that inflict pain are: sharp sounds, bright lights and light skin contact, to name a few.
In that case, my tolerance can be summarized as "wussie", i squirm and flinch at the lowest stimulation of the above types, even merely thinking about it can make me shiver all over.

cgblittlezero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2016, 2:06 pm

I have higher pain tolerance. But I've heard other people that have had higher pain tolerance to pain like hitting head and getting cut, but feel a lot of pain to light skin contact with clothing etc.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
AQ:42
Alexithymia Quiz = 144 (High)
PDD Assesment = 155 (Severe PDD)

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 4:01 pm

I think it can go either way. I personally have a higher pain tolerance than most NTs, but I've heard people with ASD can have low pain tolerances as well. I have tactile sensory issues, but don't feel any pain for them, I just really hate the sensation or it may make me itchy (like tags in t-shirts, which I cut out).

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2016, 4:31 pm

I have weird pain tolerance. My friend is a physio and gave me a sports massage. While doing it he said "this may hurt it usually has people in agony or words to that effect. Nothing. He digs in deeper...nothing. He says people are usually screaming from it. I couldn't feel anything. Things that shouldn't hurt do.like squeezing a spot has me in agony. Needles(medical) are really painful. My pain tolerance can also shift. Things that used to hurt don't. And vice verse. My daughter who I suspect has ADHD has exceptionally high pain tolerance.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 5:14 pm

Mine is not fully consistent but mostly I seem to have a low pain tolerance. Things like needles hardly bother me at all and sometimes I get a cut without noticing it, but there are also things that bother me but not others and when I was younger my pain tolerance was certainly lower then it is now.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 6:39 pm

Everything seems to hurt me!