Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

crystalc1973
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2014, 4:10 pm

Do you drive a car? If you do, what was your experience like learning how to drive and did you or do you run into any problems related to driving? If not, what makes you not want to drive? I first took driver's ed at 19 but had tons of problems learning, which infuriated my mother who labelled me as inept and said I should just give up on driving. I finally did get my license but not until I was 27 years old, after I was basically forced to my aspie-intolerant ex husband. I eventually got the hang of it more or less but sometimes ran into problems due to my lack of depth perception. The last car I owned died over four years ago and I have not driven since. I would not even want to attempt to drive where I live now, Jamaica because they drive like maniacs mostly. When I move back to Canada I am not even sure if I want to get my license again because I did not have a full license, and would need to take another road test. The last time I took a road test was a disaster, the woman who tested me had it in for me from the beginning and deliberately got me rattled when I was driving by judging me and saying things like "have you been driving for long? because you seem to be making a lot of mistakes.", which they are not supposed to do. I ended up reporting her to her supervisor, and got re-tested with the supervisor herself, which went better, but I absolutely dread road tests. Not sure I want to go back to all the stress involved in driving.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 4:35 pm

I can't drive, actually. Far too many things to process and deal with while driving. I don't think I'll ever be able to learn because of my varying disabilities and such either. D:

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Sep 2014, 4:51 pm

I passed my test about 10 years ago, but i was always terrified and have hardly driven since. It's the mix of having to notice everything around you, make quick decisions and understand what other drivers are thinking - all at once that i find terriying. It makes life difficult because i'm often expected to be able to drive for work etc.

Strangely though - i think i'm a pretty good cyclist.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:19 pm

I didn't get my license until age 37.

I tried about five years previously, took an enormous amount of lessons, then failed the road test.

Then five years later, I met my wife, and I felt I really should learn to drive. I had no lessons--I learned merely by putting myself on the road, and learning from there. I passed the first time then. This was 1998.

I have difficulties in perception, which result in me having to always look when I change lanes, in addition to using the mirror. It's probably worse from the right side.

Luckily, I've only gotten in fender-bender type accidents over the 16 years that I've had my license--and not too many of those.

Kruger
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2014, 6:01 pm

I don't drive right now because it's overwhelming and nervewracking. I fail constantly at judging distance when I have to park, difficulty focusing while driving, and I often forget the elementary rules of the road at new intersections and places. I'm still residually frightened by the loud noises of vehicles especially whenever I'm walking along the road.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2014, 6:30 pm

I drive, been driving for 30 odd years. I've even driven professionally, which is more why I don't like to drive now, spending over 14 hours a day behind the wheel really wears you out. Problems I face still, are size of the vehicle and spaces; speed. I don't indicate as often as I should. I prefer to drive on the deserted open road than in the cities. But city driving you have to get into the zone and once there you'll be alright - bit like dodgem cars. You need to concentrate all the time while driving, whether you're an aspie or not. Know what's happening 360 degrees around you. I don't talk while driving, passengers tend to bother me and confuse my concentration. Aggressive music is a big no in the car - but cool music is a must. Never drive with emotion - if you're in an emotional state take a break. Take your time, a break in the traffic will come eventually. Stay well away from the big rigs and remember if in Australia, dusk and dawn are roo time.

I did have to do another driving test a few years ago now, and the examiner was very distracting, so even though I drove fine, he had distracted me at obscure road signs so I failed. The next time I went for it I ignored the examiner completely, just grunted at his instruction and passed with 100%.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 8:50 pm

been driving since 1977, but did not get license until 1980, about 4 years after my so-called peers. never was a terrific driver, lots of accidents, but I try not to drive any more often than I absolutely must. driving is LOTS easier when there are a minimum of other cars on the road.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 8:57 pm

Partially licensed driver, have my full test booked next month. I'm not making any claims to be a good driver, just a 'good enough' driver

Moonranch
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

Although it took me longer than average to learn to drive because I had excessive anxiety and my OCD became a bit of a hindrance (I would constantly seek reassurance from my instructor), I passed my test on the first attempt with only 2 minors (you can get up to 15, I believe, and still pass). I have been driving since 2010 and I am an excellent driver. I can still get a bit anxious but I think that helps me to drive carefully. I feel very nervous about long journeys though and have only driven on the motorway a few times. When driving locally I am fine and sometimes even enjoy it. I just bought my second car this June as my first one was getting a bit old. It is taking me a while to adjust to the new one, but I'm getting there.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2014, 9:43 pm

I can drive well. I actually had to go through the very extensive and rather expensive Swedish drivers license class. The average cost for a license is above $2,000. I passed all exams on the first try. I couldn't afford to fail a test. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 9:59 pm

Swiper wrote:
I can drive well. I actually had to go through the very extensive and rather expensive Swedish drivers license class. The average cost for a license is above $2,000. I passed all exams on the first try. I couldn't afford to fail a test. :wink:

:wtg:

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2014, 12:44 am

Nope, can't do it. Tried to learn to drive many times but it never went well. There is just too much going on at once for me to process. Driving would have given me much more freedom to do things I would have liked to do without having to bother other people. But, you deal with it and move on.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 1:26 am

I got my license a few weeks ago. I didn't think I would, so that was an absolute relief.
I'm really bad with directions, parking is still difficult and it's hard to keep my full concentration sometimes.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 4:16 am

I drive.

Got my learner's at 16 & bought my first car when I was 17. I had some frustrations learning to drive standard due to coordination issues combined with a very touchy clutch and restricted exhaust system which forced me to shift & clutch quite precisely. In hindsight, I've had some minor problems driving over the years when symptoms were bad.. but overall I've done OK. I've crunched a couple cars over the years, but never had an at fault insurance claim so have maximum discounts now. I'm 32 and have been driving most of the time since I was 16 save for a few years where I couldn't afford a car & didn't have a drivers licence for a year.

Now that I've done what I have to successfully treat my symptoms I'm a calmer more attentive less distracted driver. My coordination is much better than ever, but I drive an auto right now. I like driving. I've driven more than 18,000kms in the last 6 months. After I got my licence and a car on the road again a year ago I very quickly wondered how I'd gone 3 years without it!! I literally made 10 mile+ return treks just to pay a phone bill or buy a backpack full of groceries. Aaaah, memories lol. :P Now I just hop in my car and enjoy the convenience of it.

I like cars, but can't be bothered to waste any money on one at the moment since I have other financial goals I'm saving & investing towards. So, I drive a 1990 Honda Civic hatchback that now has over 450k kms on it. It's a transportation appliance & I love that I have zero emotional attachment to it. Being completely indifferent about the car I drive has allowed me to save a LOT of money vs. wanting to drive something newer/bigger/better etc. Just throwing that out there for those who that perspective may benefit.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 9:05 am

I love driving. The only issue I have is judging how far/how fast cars are like at junctions and roundabouts so I err on the side of caution. But I've driven 25,000 miles in the past year and a half so my judgment is getting much better.

Coolguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2014, 10:01 am

I started driving when I was 20. At 28 I have had four (at fault) accidents and three tickets. I may be able to drive, but apparently I'm not very good at it. :(