Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 2:41 pm

This past Friday I wrecked our minivan-totally my fault, driving too fast for the dark conditions in an unfamiliar environment. Luckily neither me or my daughter were hurt, but I do seem to have more than my share of screwups. I have been in 4 auto accidents, all caused by me-1 while intoxicated and 3 after I got sober. I have been hit by a car while riding my bike 3 times. Back in August I missed a step while walking downstairs in my house and messed up my knee. It still hurts and I am having to go to physical therapy for it. I have had a few physical injuries in the past as well.

It just seems that I really make large scale mistakes at times. So far my wife has been willing to pay for all of these, I hope she stays that way.

I don't have ADHD as far as I know. Do Aspies tend to be more accident prone, or is it just me?

T_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2014, 3:49 pm

I'm terribly accident prone. Yesterday I tripped over my dog (I had no idea she was behind me) and fell backwards. It was pretty lucky that I didn't smash my head on a worktop.

I think I'm dumb, or maybe just happy...

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2014, 4:24 pm

It's possible. One of the "clinical signs" is relatively poor (hand-eye) co-ordination compared to NTs. I, for one, am also quite accident prone. I find that judging speeds etc quite difficult, one reason why I still haven't picked up the courage to finish my driving lessons...

I also fall over/out of things often, perhaps due to poor spatial awareness. Though thanks to judo lessons, I don't hurt myself much any more.

Though happy to report no incidents with machetes, needles and scalpels. Yet.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 5:15 pm

Probably not all autistic people but many of them. I know my coordination isn't good. I gave up driving. I compensate my poor coordination with my over-cautiousness. So I haven't had any serious "accidents".

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 12:59 pm

Yah - I can be a bit klutzy.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 1:40 pm

I'm always hurting myself. Burning myself while cooking/baking, tripping over my own feet. Recently tore a ligament in my foot after tripping over a toy -_-
This morning I twisted my hip wrong.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 1:47 pm

Yeah, I've been accused of being a bit of a klutz all my life and it used to really upset me. Now I learn that a mild to severe lack of coordination is the case with most people on the Autism Spectrum. For the same basic reason many of us have been a bit lousy in sports, a bit clumsy and many are not very good with their handwriting skills. Of course this is not the case with everyone. But this lack of coordination can certainly lend one toward being accident prone. I eventually got pretty good at driving - but for the first few years of my driving when I was still in my early twenties one would have thought by my driving that there was confused little old lady behind the wheel.

- Albert Einstein

Last edited by r2d2 on 22 Oct 2014, 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2014, 1:52 pm

Yup, I'm a notorious klutz! Since I was a child really. Tripping over my own feet, tripping over the smallest pebble on the sidewalk, dropping stuff, misjudging distances when putting dishes away, misjudging speeds and distances when I was taking driving lessons, I could go on and on.

Right now I'm really bad for walking into doorframes that I can plainly see coming :lol:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 8:28 pm

I can barely lift my feet off the ground or even get compulsions that I'll fall over and break something. I fall over a lot.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Oct 2014, 1:00 am

Sometimes, it seems like I start fumbling whatever all at once which is pretty distressing.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 3:19 am

I am, I end up hurting myself accidentally or dropping stuff by accident a lot. My motor skills have deteriorated with age.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 5:08 am

we do have terrible motor skills...

Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 6:10 am

It's very unfair to autism to say "I'm accident prone, is it an autism thing?" then say "I was drinking" "I was driving too fast" That's not autism.

Having said that, a lot of us don't even drive because of anxiety issues. I think we can have poor judgement if we need to take evasive action to avoid a collision as a result of poor motor skills as well. But I don't think asperger's affects driving beyond that. I drive for a living, I like to think I'm good at it. :?