Do you believe there are Extraterrestrial beings ?

Page 1 of 13 [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 4:38 pm

I ask this question because I was wondering how many individuals on the spectrum believed in the possibility of Extraterrestrial Beings. I myself find it hard to theoretical conceptualize that if the Universe likely contains billions of Earth-Like Planets that Extraterrestrial beings do not exist.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm

The short answer is YES! I'm sure they exist but they are so few and so far apart in space AND in time that sapient species of different solar systems usually go extinct before they ever encounter another sapient species from another solar system. So they may exist-but for practical purposes they dont exist. And we likely will never encounter any.

Am very skeptical about UFO's etc.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:32 pm

I'm one of the rare believers that aliens do exist and some form of human has made contact with these ETs.

My theory why they do not contact us, is that they likely did in the past. Part of our species migrated to space, and made the earth a protected reserve.

It would explain why we have not made contact in the current time span.

Yet would account for the fact that aliens would of had between millions and 100s of million of years to travel the milky way.

They are not ignoring us, but are simply allowing our own species to protect itself.

Its a wierd theory no doubt, but if you believe their is intelligent life in the galaxy, than it seems to be the only logical answer.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:38 pm

i agree with natural plastic.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:43 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The short answer is YES! I'm sure they exist but they are so few and so far apart in space AND in time that sapient species of different solar systems usually go extinct before they ever encounter another sapient species from another solar system. So they may exist-but for practical purposes they dont exist. And we likely will never encounter any.

Am very skeptical about UFO's etc.

There is a numerical fact, that if a truly intelligent species is in our galaxy, they likely have maid contact with us.

Our planet is 4 billion years old give or take a 100 million years.

It's likely that if a species is 1000 year ahead of us technologywise , they have developed some kind of space travel.

with a give or take 100 million years ahead of us, they had plenty of time to span life out into the galaxy.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:47 pm

Probable that there's life on other planets in the universe. Earth doesn't appear to be specifically unique.

Though since interstellar space travel is pretty much impossible for all but the most dedicated with generation vessels (and then, it's dangerous as hell), the chances of seeing them are small.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:50 pm

Yes, definitely, and I believe it is likely that ETs have been interfering with life on this planet for a long time.

The word I would use is not extraterrestrial, but extradimensional or interdimensional.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:50 pm

To paraphrase the Jodie Foster character in the film, "Contact", the universe would be a very empty place, if Earth was the only planet that harboured life forms. Also, it is possible that phenomenon such as warp holes could circumvent the problems of distance and enable humans one day to encounter ET's.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:58 pm

Earth is a relatively young planet. So older planets in much older galaxies have had much more time for higher forms of life to evolve. If it happened here, it seems to me quite bizarre to ignore the probability that it happened elsewhere in the universe/multiverse. Most physicists these days would answer your question with YES. A recent survey of some of very prominent ones came up with a consensus of opinion that within the next 30 years, the existence of other advanced of life beyond our little system will be discovered. Apparently it could be sooner if we had big enough computer capacity operating at a single time (like mega-huge). Perhaps we are just shrimps in the huge ocean of the multiverse. For me the far more interesting question is not if there is other life out there, but how it will affect life on Earth to discover that we are not unique.

Also, and quite recently, an important discovery is that there are other planets in other galaxies which are very similiar in composition to Earth. This discovery did seem to change a lot of formerly doubtful minds in the scientific community. Now it seems that doubters are in the minority. Whatever you believe, this century looks likely to be one of unparalleled discoveries.

It's amusing to consider that we may be regarded as "their" aliens, their "extra-terrestials"... their "little not-green people" :)

Last edited by B19 on 29 Sep 2014, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:59 pm

For intelligent life to exist, beings have to arise that have language that is past from generation to generation. Languages grow, and eventually there are words for every little thing. But it is very complicated... just look at Iran, where they just executed a man who didnt believe that the story of Jonah happened as written. The smarter we get the chance that we will destroy the planet seems to be rising. I think that intelligent beings with words running through their minds is the rarest event in all of time and space.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2014, 6:18 pm

Billions of them. We call them NTs.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 6:34 pm

Sure. I believe in ET's. Perhaps they're not as advanced as us, maybe they're simple one cell animals, but I believe they exist.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 7:37 pm

Yep, I believe they exist, and hopefully one day, we'll see them.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 7:40 pm

Hope this will happen in my lifetime.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2014, 8:30 pm

I believe in probability, and if you even try to grasp the sheer scale of the universe the probability of multiple planets containing some sort of life nears one.

Our biggest challenge will be whether we can ever find a way to traverse the vast universe before humanity destructs itself. So much money and effort is going into weapons and superstitions while we should be exploring beyond the known horizon. After the moon landing we have simply stopped exploring and stopped dreaming. Space exploration lost almost all of it's funding in favour of the weapon industry.

It is such a shame. Space exploration was probably the most effective way of getting a new generation into science. It brought nations closer together and made a lot of productive jobs possible. Many important advances and inventions stem from this kind of research.

Last edited by qFox on 29 Sep 2014, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 8:35 pm

As long as there are planets with favorable conditions for life and a cell forms with a self-replicating molecule like DNA and perhaps billions of years for intelligent life to evolve, it's possible.
I like to think that there is a lot of intelligent life out there in the universe.
Sometimes I wonder if the universe itself is a conscious and intelligent system.