Neuroscientist says 1% of the population are psychopaths

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

03 Nov 2014, 7:19 pm

From the article, list of criteria includes: "glibness and superficial charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, cunning/manipulative, pathological lying, emotional shallowness, callousness and lack of empathy, a tendency to boredom, impulsivity, criminal versatility, behavioural problems in early life, juvenile delinquency, and promiscuous sexual behaviour."

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-s ... z3I3QS8LMO

(Autism is brought up in discussion on empathy.)

In a population of 316 million, that's 3.16 million psychopaths running around in society. By comparison, there's somewhere around 850,000 licensed physicians. (http://www.nationalahec.org/pdfs/fsmbph ... census.pdf).

So if you're ever wondering how some people can mistreat others for fun and not care about the effect, there are psychopaths, literally psychopaths, out there who really don't care whether you live or die, and may just mistreat others for enjoyment or to gain their own advantage, and they seem to have a skill for detecting others who are vulnerable.

"I'm not shy? I just can't think of anything to say."

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 7:36 pm

Here's a BBC documentary about them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LE-UlvzmoM[/youtube]

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

I had heard the number was 4%.

Based on my personal observations, I'd guess 5-10%.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 7:50 pm

Autistic people tend to have a thicker, more densely packed amygdala than most other people. Pschychopaths, just the opposite, smaller amygdalas. Because of the fact that so many autistics were raised by monsters, I wonder-knowing NOTHING about genetics and heredibility- if it is possible that the "whatever" we inherit that makes us autistics with big fat beautiful [but very anxiety ridden] amygdalas, could be the same something that could cause someone else to inherit the short, loosely packed amygdala of a psychopath. I do not know. Just wondering.

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2014, 8:48 pm

vickygleitz, is it your experience in talking to autistics that they had monstrous parentage?

YippySkippy, what's your reason for estimating 5-10% in your experience?

The video LupaLuna posted says it's 1 in 200 in Britain, which is 0.5%. But they're not citing margin of error on their numbers.

Still, even at 1% in the US, think if there are about 3.2 million psychopaths, odds are that for every doctor you come in contact with, you'll encounter almost 4 psychopaths.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 8:52 pm

they are not uniformly distributed among the population but tend to concentrate in certain areas, I have found. they abound in the military and government and upper levels of corporations as well.

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2014, 9:01 pm

Maybe not, but this explains some of the behavior I've seen in several apt. dwellers around me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

voleregard wrote:
Maybe not, but this explains some of the behavior I've seen in several apt. dwellers around me.

my college psych prof told me that there is a difference also between genuine psychopaths versus sociopaths, which is rather like a hardware versus software type of thing, the latter are more common. also there is a division between antisocial people versus dissocial people, the latter tending to band up in communities.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

I have to wonder if the article really means "sociopath" because most other studies I've seen tend to say that sociopaths are a smaller percentage than that, so I am a little skeptical of there being that many psychopaths. On another note, my father was a sociopath. He was a great person too and I think sociopaths can be very misunderstood, as many of them are capable of empathy too, it just doesn't happen as often and it depends on the person. From what I understand psychopaths also can have empathy towards specific people that they are close to, although of course they are still very manipulative. And then there are the Mansons of the world, I wonder how common those are, people who just don't have regard towards anybody.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 10:10 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
I have to wonder if the article really means "sociopath" because most other studies I've seen tend to say that sociopaths are a smaller percentage than that, so I am a little skeptical of there being that many psychopaths. On another note, my father was a sociopath. He was a great person too and I think sociopaths can be very misunderstood, as many of them are capable of empathy too, it just doesn't happen as often and it depends on the person. From what I understand psychopaths also can have empathy towards specific people that they are close to, although of course they are still very manipulative. And then there are the Mansons of the world, I wonder how common those are, people who just don't have regard towards anybody.

that is probably why my psych prof differentiated between dissocial [nice to certain types of people] versus antisocial [anybody is fair game].

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm

There are several kinds of psychopaths each with noticeable behavior differences.
The ambitious kind flocks to power.
The other kinds don't.
All are manipulative, but they have different motivations. They all have goals they want to achieve. These goals may be simple or complex. They may endanger others or not.
Some psychopaths gain a family and abuse the family. Other psychopaths gain a family, treat them extremely well, and kill other people ( Dr. H.H. Holmes for example). Psychopathy comes in many forms.
Not to mention all the other Antisocials.

At least we know the probable gene for psychopathy. If we go by that, the rate is roughly 1/24 people being psychopaths. But the gene can be either active or inactive. It also presents in different ways. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. What could be good about the psychopath gene? Well, it gives some people the gift of temporary psychopathy which allows a person to suddenly be capable of staying calm and collected during intense pressure. Temporary psychopathy is frequent among surgeons.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 12:03 am

^^^
I would imagine some military men/fighter pilots also.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 12:33 am

voleregard wrote:
: "glibness and superficial charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, cunning/manipulative, pathological lying, emotional shallowness, callousness and lack of empathy, a tendency to boredom, impulsivity, criminal versatility, behavioural problems in early life, juvenile delinquency, and promiscuous sexual behaviour."

Frankly that describes my current boss to a "T" and at least a few former employers of mine as well. It is frightening to think that many of this horrible characteristics might actually be that kind of qualities that help some people achieve and move up the ladder to success.

- Albert Einstein

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 12:42 am

r2d2 wrote:
voleregard wrote:
: "glibness and superficial charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, cunning/manipulative, pathological lying, emotional shallowness, callousness and lack of empathy, a tendency to boredom, impulsivity, criminal versatility, behavioural problems in early life, juvenile delinquency, and promiscuous sexual behaviour."

Frankly that describes my current boss to a "T" and at least a few former employers of mine as well. It is frightening to think that many of this horrible characteristics might actually be that kind of qualities that help some people achieve and move up the ladder to success.

in my experience it is the exceptional leader who is not at least a bit of a bastard.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2014, 9:43 am

I'm not surprised. Actually I take it back, I'd be surprised if the percentage was that low. If we're counting sociopaths along with full-blown psychopaths, it's definitely higher.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2014, 3:30 pm

As to the psycho/socio-pathy in the military:

http://gazette.com/27-afa-cadets-injure ... cle/146671

Officials will make public relations statements about not tolerating such behavior, but my experience was that they often knew what was going on, and tolerate/encourage it as a part of toughening up the troops. The nuking ritual they refer to can be a quite violent event, and like the "first snow, first shirt" event described in this article, is often done in freezing weather. I saw many nukings, and couldn't understand how such mistreatment of students could be tolerated (no need to explain - I understand it now).

The game the officials play is how to allow the hazing to go on, but not get so out of hand that it causes a scandal or unfavorable public exposure. Anyone who reports it runs the risk of brutal retaliation unless the problem is thoroughly dealt with, which it never is.

The traits may be desired in leaders, but the real question is, what is it they are leading others to do. Is the ultimate outcome of p/s-pathic leadership, whether on battlefield or boardroom, really something helpful to society?