Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PersonaThief
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

Hello!

For those that have or know about Sensory Integration Disorder or Sensory Processing Disorder, I was wondering if we could make a list of "hacks" or "tricks" to making clothing less irritating (or worse) sensory-wise!

So far I've come across the following:

-Cutting the tags, necklines, and/or cuffs off of t-shirts
-Wearing socks and underwear with seams inside out
-Using a razer to soften materials and remove pills
-Soaking "icky" fabrics in fabric softener to make them more pleasing
-Layering to keep materials like wool off the skin

I'm looking more for things you can do to pre-existing clothing as I have very little money, but ADULT brands of sensory-friendly clothing would be appreciated too! It seems almost every sensory-friendly clothing company out there is aimed at kids, and the few that do cater to adults seem only to cater to women -- which is a bit of a problem, as I'm a guy! Let's make the list friendly to all genders if we can.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 4:28 pm

What about buying second hand clothing? Much softer because it's worn - and cheap.
I soak my clothes in water with vinegar added to make them soft.
Sandpapering the inside of shoes (especially leather shoes) to soften the edges.
Also have used sandpaper on annoying seams of jeans.
Heat will break down harsh fibres quickly - sunlight, dryer and ironing.
Rubbing wet clothing on concrete to soften - as long as it's a sturdy fabric - don't try it with knits!

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2014, 6:34 pm

Wear jeggings instead of jeans
Always use lots of shea butter to prevent dry skin, which makes sensory stuff worse
Girls: Brazilian jeans that are fully elasticated instead of mainstream American jeans that are stiff
Wedges shoes instead of stilettos

PersonaThief
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2014, 9:09 pm

I hadn't even considered a way to make shoes more bearable -- I was just excited to find I could make it so wearing a shirt wasn't so bad by cutting off the neckline and tag. Sadly I hate having any sort of lotion or cream on my skin, so I'll have to stick to other fixes.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2014, 9:37 pm

for making shoes more comfy may I recommend the notorious Dr. Scholl's insoles. Also if your shoes are tight in the front, what u want to do is freeze a baggie of water - like double bag the baggie - in the front of ur shoe when it's brand new... it loosens it right up. Also use shoe trees to hang them up and a shoe horn to get them on.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2014, 9:42 pm

People that hate greasy lotions, you can use Corn Huskers Lotion, which is found in many sources. It's completely oil free and sinks in after a few seconds. Grease fanatics can stick to shea butter and Queen Helene Cocoa Butter. This is a major concern in the wintertime we have to keep dry skin away

PersonaThief
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2014, 1:13 pm

So it seems like soaking clothing in vinegar or fabric softener, rubbing them on concrete or with sandpaper, or ironing/putting clothes in a hot dryer are common ways to make clothing softer or reducing how noticeable seams are, and buying clothing that has stretch in them or stretching them out helps.

I also just found out about seamless socks and underwear, and rip-out tags (mainly on shirts) as well as clothing done with "flat seams." They aren't tricks you can do to existing clothing, but when I do a shopping next I know what I'll be looking for!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 1:45 pm

Speaking of seams - back in the day we used to sew garments with French seams, which is a seam where the edges are enclosed within the seam. What makes seams so scratchy today is the overlocking on the edge. You can cut this off close to the overlocking for more comfortable seams.