Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2014, 7:12 am

I have poor short term memory, but my long term memory is outstanding. I am able to recall events that have took place years ago in photographic detail in my mind. I'm able to take these images and manipulate the memory so that I can see the image in a full 360 degree view in my head. I find this to be very amazing. Anyone else do this as well?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 7:24 am

My ST memory is horrible as well. It seems to be a processing issue. Unless a memory imprints with intensity (e.g., emotional stress), I best recall events after X time has passed.

dilanger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2014, 8:15 am

yes,

My short working memory is awful. It gives off the notion that I do not listen to people. It makes communicating very tough and stressful when in a relationship.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 10:59 am

My short term memory is only good if I'm paying attention.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 1:45 pm

What's the definition of "short-term memory"? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days?

I realize I'm not very good at repeating a >~7-digit number immediately when someone says it. Also I'm amazed at how people can immediately get it when someone spells out a word quickly. It might be a problem with processing rather than memory, i.e. my brain is not even catching what's being said because it's too quick.

Other than that I believe my long-/short-term memory is better than average. I can quite comfortably rely on my memory.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 1:53 pm

My ST is not all that great ether. If someone tells me their name. I will forget 3 seconds later.

Data001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2014, 3:33 pm

My short term memory is awful as well. When I was a child my mum tell me to do something and then when I get to the top of the stairs I had forgotten what she had told me. But, I remember if I was a) listening to her b) told me what to do in simple short steps such as this:

Go to the top of the stairs
Open the cupboard
Get the table cloth with the pink flowers on it
Bring the tablecloth and put it on the table.

In addition, I have found that I have terrible issues with remember people names but can remember faces and I have a great photographic memory that allows to me to retain all sorts of useless facts, figures, and anything I thought was interesting.

As for my long term memory is quite good as I can recall a number of big events in my life and I had the ability when I was younger to recall everything that I learned at school and then explain it at the end of the school day to my parents.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 8:06 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
My ST memory is horrible as well. It seems to be a processing issue. Unless a memory imprints with intensity (e.g., emotional stress), I best recall events after X time has passed.

Exactly!

If I want to remember something I've learned to force myself to have an emotional response so that the entire experience will be stored in the subconscious.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 9:21 pm

According to various tests (WAIS, Wechsler Memory Scale), my short-term memory (aka working memory) ranges from exceptional to very below average depending upon the type of information being processed.

My short-term memory is exceptional, when processing numbers and operators in my head. As an example, I scored quite high on the WAIS Arithmetic sub-test.

However, my short-term memory is very below average, when processing complex information. As an example, verbal directions.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 9:46 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
According to various tests (WAIS, Wechsler Memory Scale), my short-term memory (aka working memory) ranges from exceptional to very below average depending upon the type of information being processed.

My short-term memory is exceptional, when processing numbers and operators in my head. As an example, I scored quite high on the WAIS Arithmetic sub-test.

However, my short-term memory is very below average, when processing complex information. As an example, verbal directions.

I didn't take the test, but I am very similar. I can remember specifications/measurements, but if someone tells me directions I have to write it down.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2014, 10:54 pm

My short-term memory has gotten horrible in recent years. I used to be able to remember pretty much everything. I remember the first time a friend said "Remember when we went there and did that?" and I drew a blank. I was certain she was mistaken that I had gone with her but now that kind of thing happens all the time.

On the other hand, I have a photographic memory for things. I know where everything is in my environment. I used to be an evidence custodian in a crime lab and I knew in my head where every piece of evidence in the evidence room was. In my current situation it pretty much only helps me not lose my keys.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 1:24 am

That is so bizarre. I didn't realize so many autistic people had this much of an issue with short term memory. For me it's completely opposite. There are many events in my life and even a number of them after childhood that my family members will remember and tell me it was something significant, but I can't recall a thing. However, you can give me random strings of numbers and letters, ask me what was on page thus and such a minute ago while we were going over the tax code book, etc. and that's easy as pie. Now if you ask me what was in a book I read when I was ten, I could probably tell you absolutely everything about it. But I wouldn't know if I had ever been to disneyland or done whatever if not for family members.

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2014, 7:09 am

Well, my it seems as if seemingly innocuous events have embedded themselves in my mind, such as walking into a gas station 10 years ago to buy a pack of smokes. I recall everything in great detail. It seems strange to me that I would even remember these events from long ago since there was no emotional attachment to the memory. One memory that still lingers, is of a time when I was in a mall with my mother, and a woman in a dress, wearing high heels. As she walks by me, my oversensitive hearing is strongly attracted to the sound of her heels walking on the floor, and it provided me with a feeling I get in the present when I stimm. I know, I'm wierd