Can you understand what people are saying?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have difficulties understanding what people are saying?
Yes (written but not spoken) 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Yes (spoken but not written) 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
Yes (spoken and written) 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
Yes (both) 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 29

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

Yep, I have the same problem understanding spoken word, as everyone else, here----and, if that wasn't enough fun, I also have CAPD, which means I can't understand a WORD someone is saying if they speak too quickly, or too loudly----it's as much fun as a barrel full of monkeys, I tell ya!! ! LOL

As for the written word: I'm dyslexic; so, often I have to read things a couple of times. Also, with written word, there's no way, sometimes, to tell inflection----which could change the meaning. That's why I use alot of caps and italics and run-on sentences because that is the way I would say it, in person.

mel113
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2014, 12:46 pm

Dude....yes! And I think that's why I'm more able to look people in the eye. I stare at their face to read their lips and try not to make it any more awkward than it is. And omg do not yell! It hurts my ears :(

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2014, 3:00 pm

Yes, and very often I need to make people repeat what they just said (unless I'm really only paying attention to them and only focusing on them) so that I can understand, and the meaner people often answer back "are you f...ing deaf?"
But the worst part is in the middle of a crowded place where tons of people are all talking at the same time, then even when I concentrate It's hell to understand what a person is saying and I need to make them repeat 2 or 3 times, I get the words, I get what they said but I need them to repeat so that I can analyse what they just said.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 3:23 pm

People need to catch my attention first before they start speaking or I ask what so they could repeat themselves. They either do or say never mind. I also need people to talk louder when there is noise and other sounds.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LizardWizard
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2014, 7:01 pm

Kiriae wrote:
LizardWizard wrote:
(...)

Me too; I'm extremely good at where someone is in the house by the subtle sounds of their steps/movements. Do you know how autism fits into not being able to understand people?

The lack/impaired filter seem to be responsible for this, at least in my case. NT brain tends to automatically assign voice as something important and focus on it, ignoring other sounds as far I know. I have to consciously realize someone speaks to me before I understand what is being said, and even then other sounds distract me. The most irritating thing is when I actually try to focus on a voice but I can't because the noise around doesn't let me to. I want to hear but I can't turn off all other sounds and other people don't seem to have the problem in the same environment.

Also, understanding speech is not so easy itself. It is complicated operation. You don't only have to hear it but also distinguish separate words and translate them to your own mind language. And most of autistic people think visually not phonetically.
That's why I find reading easier. I do vocalize the words in my mind but it is only matter of habit, I practice speech this way. Actually my written word understanding rely more on how a word looks than how it is pronounced. I look on a sentence and I understand it before I vocalize it. The words and its meaning is connected. I see "lemon" written word and at the same time see a picture of lemon in my mind and feel its taste. When I hear "lemon" I have to picture the word "lemon" and then get the lemon image and taste in my mind. One step too much.
But thats me. It might be different for every person.

Do you know if this is connected to having difficulties being able to understand written text? Is that linked to autism too?

Autism Spectrum Quotient: 42
Emotional intelligence quotient: 32

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2014, 11:11 pm

Written words aren't a problem for me, but I can have a really tough time with spoken words sometimes. It's almost like there's a slight delay between what you are saying and what I'm understanding. Also, if you give me too much verbal information at once it's like there is a buffer in my memory that will fill up and start being overwritten, causing me to miss things. I often have to ask people to repeat themselves just to give my brain a little bit of extra time to process what they said.

I definitely relate to LizardWizard's comment. I have excellent hearing, but something about speech just gets jumbled up to a point where the first few words someone says to me may seem like they are speaking a foreign language.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 12:00 am

most of the time it's other people that cannot understand my own spoken word, given my quietness, monotone and fuzzy voice. i usually have to be asked twice for clarification...

nuttyengineer wrote:
Written words aren't a problem for me, but I can have a really tough time with spoken words sometimes. It's almost like there's a slight delay between what you are saying and what I'm understanding. Also, if you give me too much verbal information at once it's like there is a buffer in my memory that will fill up and start being overwritten, causing me to miss things. I often have to ask people to repeat themselves just to give my brain a little bit of extra time to process what they said.

yep^^. this is something i can relate to. written words aren't a big deal, i like to casually read advanced texts sometimes infact. but i experience a delay too, to fully absorb what has been said and possibly a bit more to form a response, if needed. also not recognizing if someone is talking to me can be a problem also, if i'm not sure i'll just block it out even if they;re looking in my broad general direction. "did you get that?' is sort of like a wake up call, and i have to ask for clarification.

not only depends on volume of course, but the sound of the language i'm hearing. english, which is very much flow‐y to my ears and with a lot of slurred sounds and shortened words in casual speech tends to be understood a little less than languages with more pure vowels and a staccato‐like sound, such as spanish, which i understand and hear a lot. or greek, which i suspect...don't hear it around much.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 12:30 am

I'm good one one on in a quite environemnt. Every other sound happening in the area adds a layer of difficulty. Another voice happening at the same time and I'm really challanged. Or a room with bad echo.

My boss's boss is Scottish with a strong accent. So when we have a meeting in the conference room (it's a large room with lots of echo). If I concentrate I can catch about every 6th word he says. When I give up and just pretend to listen I accidently catch every 10th word. A great waste of time on my part, and they refuse to put anything in writting. So I still have no idea what was said for 3 hours in the room.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 11:55 pm

I shift between the two. Either I'm good at one or the other. Dyslexia may also interfere.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 7:33 am

Sometimes when a stranger speaks to me when I'm not expecting it, I don't hear what they said so I have to ask them to repeat. A lot of times I come off as stupid, and I feel embarrassed. I was thinking of passing off as deaf, but I'm not sure how to alert the public about that. And no I am not alerting the world that I'm Asperger's, because I look far too ''normal'' and people will just think that I want their sympathetic attention or something. But I AM hard of hearing anyway, so it would make more sense to get some sort of badge or band or whatever to alert people that I may not respond very quickly to certain sounds because I don't hear. I'm not deaf enough to need a hearing aid, but I think I will need one before I'm 40.