Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2014, 7:10 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I think the incidence might be unrealistically high already due to overbroadening of criteria and overdiagnosis in children at both ends of spectrum.

Personally, I agree with the overdiagnosis view and I assume it comes from the fact that they screen so young that it's easier for a kid that struggles in some areas but would eventually catch up to get tagged as being on the spectrum.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 2:10 am

Combination of broadened diagnostic criteria and changes in society that make it harder to function. The broaden diagnostic criteria has been massively discussed so I won't here .

Work and school activities are much more group oriented then 30 or 40 years ago.
Beck in the day when the school day was over aside from homework it was over. Kids went outside and played pickup games outside. These games were non structured, kids themselves figured and the games and the rules
If the kid was quiet/Autistic from 3 pm until bedtime with the exception of homework and dinner (usually the family was together for this) he or she could read or listen to music to de stress from the bullying until bed time.
Now there is more homework and constant structured activities and parents fear their kid being a pedophile victim if they go out by themselves (Youth crime is a lot less now but there are more mass and spectacular crimes now leading to the perception it is more unsafe). And when the kids do get time to themselves it is with computers gaming which is aural and visual stimulation and does not allow them to learn whatever body language they are able to.
Helicopter parenting. I have been to several ADULT support group meetings where the mothers attended. I can see accompanying the person on the subway or bus. I can see the parent sitting outside but let the YOUNG MAN try to interact with other adults by himself. If your a guy there are some topics you do not feel like discussing with mom sitting next to you. (One mother goes out to clubs with her son grrrr)
These trends are not good for people with executive function and sensory issues. I find it hard to believe that there are not a lot of people whose severity of Autism would have been functional then are not or less functional today even taking in the consideration no knowledge back then.

As for overdiagnoisis while there always is going to be people diagnosed who shouldn't be. I suspect the idea that it is a important or main cause of increased diagnosis are organizations that stand to lose a lot of money by paying support and benefits and professionals that never believed in the Autism Spectrum in the first place. How real the widespread overdiagnosis is, is almost not important at this time. What is important that it has become conventional wisdom even within large sections of ASD community. This is not good in a lot of ways. Legitimate autistics are dealing fear of if not actual invalidation, this is leading to suspicion, scapegoating/group shaming (people who identify Aspie, people at the self diagnosis point in their search etc). Look at how many threads lately we have had of people who are doubting their professional diagnosis. The explanation offered is Aspie skepticism. That is and always will be a factor. When you add to that reading on a "support" sites belief in widespread overdiagnosis the result is heartbreaking. lf it is not occurring already at some point under diagnosis will start occurring, Maybe most importantly we are using our "spoons"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory on this instead of something more positive.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 03 Oct 2014, 9:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 2:27 am

Obsession with developmental milestones + early intervention to enforce a common path of development probably drives diagnosis of autism, since autism diagnosis provides the most/best services in childhood.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 2:56 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Obsession with developmental milestones + early intervention to enforce a common path of development probably drives diagnosis of autism, since autism diagnosis provides the most/best services in childhood.

Which while looking at from a different direction then you in many ways we are looking at the same issue of things being more controlling and more of an emphasis on conformity making more people to be what is considered non functional. Anything that had "common" in it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Cor ... Initiative it is harmful to us that are different.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 1:31 pm

Yes, I think there is greater emphasis on being normal as the only path to a happy life.
I don't know if it comes from the whole parenting industry or the schools or what, but it sucks.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:48 pm

It surely comes from the development of worklife as it is today.
The qualities in demand: Speed, multitasking, frequent shifts and increased social demands are not aspie-friendly.
The ones, thatbest meet these demands are the so called normal.
The harder it is to get by, the more normal the ideal.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 12:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can't see the video:

What did the video say were the other causes of the increased incidence? They're probably talking about environmental influences--which is possible.

Assortative mating is also a possibility.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 11:26 am

I don't think the numbers are increasing, but how you cast your net.

I started school in 1969. Any kid on the low end was shunted of to a state home for the ret*d. That was a catch basin for anyone from CP, to Downs Syndrome to I don't know what the hell you got, but you "aren't  quite right."

In the middle 70's special education was just coming around, and it was more for the deaf, blind and physically handicapped.

Around the 1980's anyone with an Austim diagnosis was fairly low functioning and diagnosed as a child.

1990's was the boom of heavy diagnosis for everything-Aspergers, ADHD to the kitchen sink. And an adult still couldn't be diagnosed with Autism.

ASD people have always been around. That loner dad, who barely interacted with his family. You worked your manufacturing job, came home and chilled. You worked your job where you had a very narrow skill set. There was no fabulous multitasking back them. You didn't have to do all the social stuff now required of parents. Your wife didn't expect you to truly help out in the house, and do homework with the kids. Almost all the dad's in the 1970's were like that where I lived.

Society changed. The social norms changed. Jobs changed.

How many here could handle this which is what my dad did:

-work the same job, with no surprises for 30 years. Go in, do your thing, go home. Co workers didn't  say much, and didn't really care if you were BFF. And you made about $25/hr.

-Your wife did all the domestic work. You didn't worry about clothes being washed, dinner, dishes none of it. You had very specific roles.

-You loved your kids, but you didn't have to hover, fight with the school, bond with other parents over soccer or gymnastics . You might do things like Scouts or sports, but it wasn't required.

-Men had down time. You could do your special interest to unwind, and no one really bitched. Your kids didn't need 24/7 entertainment and your wife would go out with her friends. You may or may not have buddies over.

See how different everything is? See how expectations are different? I'm sure many ASD men "passed as normal" back then.

Then the rules change, some people take the hit. My husband would have fuctioned wonderfully as a dad during the 1970's. Now with everyone having to be the über cheerful, social, multitasking, extrovert faster rat, he's sunk.

I think Autism diagnosis is in a state of flux. I believe there will be more fine tuning of diagnosis, especially since the DSM has add items like sensory processing disorder.

My two pennies of thought....

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 11:38 am

Beautifully stated.

In the 1970s, there was a push to get rid of institutionalization. It was both good and bad. There were lots of people who didn't need to be in an institution, but we really opened the floodgates and downsized the infrastructure. Now, people who should be in an institution can't find one because the state hardly operates any or keeps them set up for long-term care.

For all the BS about "diversity," society really only accommodates a few "diverse" types...the rest can either learn to conform or rot.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 11:39 am

Beautifully stated.

In the 1970s, there was a push to get rid of institutionalization. It was both good and bad. There were lots of people who didn't need to be in an institution, but we really opened the floodgates and downsized the infrastructure. Now, people who should be in an institution can't find one because the state hardly operates any or keeps them set up for long-term care.

For all the BS about "diversity," society really only accommodates a few "diverse" types...the rest can either learn to conform or rot.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 9:56 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Beautifully stated.

The institutions were a horror show of abuse but the fix was wrong

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 10:22 pm

Tawaki wrote:
I don't think the numbers are increasing, but how you cast your net.

I started school in 1969. Any kid on the low end was shunted of to a state home for the ret*d. That was a catch basin for anyone from CP, to Downs Syndrome to I don't know what the hell you got, but you "aren't  quite right."

In the middle 70's special education was just coming around, and it was more for the deaf, blind and physically handicapped.

Around the 1980's anyone with an Austim diagnosis was fairly low functioning and diagnosed as a child.

1990's was the boom of heavy diagnosis for everything-Aspergers, ADHD to the kitchen sink. And an adult still couldn't be diagnosed with Autism.

ASD people have always been around. That loner dad, who barely interacted with his family. You worked your manufacturing job, came home and chilled. You worked your job where you had a very narrow skill set. There was no fabulous multitasking back them. You didn't have to do all the social stuff now required of parents. Your wife didn't expect you to truly help out in the house, and do homework with the kids. Almost all the dad's in the 1970's were like that where I lived.

Society changed. The social norms changed. Jobs changed.

How many here could handle this which is what my dad did:

-work the same job, with no surprises for 30 years. Go in, do your thing, go home. Co workers didn't  say much, and didn't really care if you were BFF. And you made about $25/hr.

-Your wife did all the domestic work. You didn't worry about clothes being washed, dinner, dishes none of it. You had very specific roles.

-You loved your kids, but you didn't have to hover, fight with the school, bond with other parents over soccer or gymnastics . You might do things like Scouts or sports, but it wasn't required.

-Men had down time. You could do your special interest to unwind, and no one really bitched. Your kids didn't need 24/7 entertainment and your wife would go out with her friends. You may or may not have buddies over.

See how different everything is? See how expectations are different? I'm sure many ASD men "passed as normal" back then.

Then the rules change, some people take the hit. My husband would have fuctioned wonderfully as a dad during the 1970's. Now with everyone having to be the über cheerful, social, multitasking, extrovert faster rat, he's sunk.

I think Autism diagnosis is in a state of flux. I believe there will be more fine tuning of diagnosis, especially since the DSM has add items like sensory processing disorder.

My two pennies of thought....

I have been trying to explain this in different ways but you did a better job. As a kid in 60's and high school and college I was mainstreamed. It was mixed. As an Aspie plus shortest kid in the class the bullying was horrendous, was a rite of passage. If you did not fight back your were weak and less of a male. But once at home that was your time to unwind, no cyber bullying. In the 80's as a young adult programming computers you were expected to be "weird" and by yourself. But I did socialize with my other colleagues but we were the same age same interests. There was a lot of overtime but I loved the work. And when you got home it was my time, no boss getting you on the mobile at 1AM with a unexpected AM deadline, no social networking or checking what is going on at the office in China at 1AM. In 1985 as far I was concerned I had no real reason to think that I had not overcome my difficult child and teenage years. I was more then "passing" I was a different but a fully functional person. I was also just as Autistic as I am now and in retrospect I see it clearly.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2014, 8:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe that the increase in incidence is caused by a broadened definition of what AUTISM is, not necessarily an increase in autism itself.

I agree with this 100%. Additionally, it really bothers me when people attempt to paint a picture of autism as an "epidemic" using increasing diagnosis rates without addressing how much those rates are influenced by changes in awareness and the diagnostic criteria. I think it's especially dishonest when that picture is presented alongside fundraising efforts.