Does anyone else hate things that feel dry?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:18 pm

I mean, obviously most of the stuff we touch is dry, but certain things I hate even touching, like chalk and chalk boards, dry dirt, gritty metal surfaces etc. Touching that stuff will make me shudder and get a sudden urge to rub my hands/fingertips on something soft like my shirt, or even flap my hands a bit if it is bad enough (like if I scraped my fingernails across something like that it feels horrible, I shiver just imagining it).

I never thought it was weird growing up, for some reason I assumed it was like that for everybody. Now I'm pretty sure it has to do with sensory sensitivy. I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same issue with dry, gritty textures.

- Sherlock Holmes

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:28 pm

Yes!! omg yes! That is probably my biggest sensory dislike. I hate to touch anything that feels dry or dusty or that wicks moisture away from my skin. Things like chalk, sandpaper, raw lumber and certain types of stone are the worst. Newspaper is bad too and I also hate the smell of the ink. Sometimes it is painful to touch cardboard. It is worse in winter when my skin is dry. Thankfully where I live it is humid most of the year, even in cooler weather.

I also hate dry sounds like tearing paper or cardboard, or writing with chalk or using sandpaper.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

I dislike it too and stay out of very dry environments. I don't like the desert (and stay out of Arizona and New Mexico). If I touch something overly dry and gritty (chalk dust, dusty metal) then I touch something wet to counteract it.

ExoMuseum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2014, 2:50 pm

I'm the opposite I guess, I hate when things are moist and the worst things ever are showers but I HaVE to do it but I can understand why you'd dislike the dry things too

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

Don't mind touching dry things but I can't eat anything dry. Potatoes, meat, bread, biscuits, cake. Can't even get it down my throat. I need to smother them in sauce or dunk them in liquid if it's something like a biscuit.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 3:12 am

dianthus wrote:
Yes!! omg yes! That is probably my biggest sensory dislike. I hate to touch anything that feels dry or dusty or that wicks moisture away from my skin. Things like chalk, sandpaper, raw lumber and certain types of stone are the worst. Newspaper is bad too and I also hate the smell of the ink. Sometimes it is painful to touch cardboard. It is worse in winter when my skin is dry. Thankfully where I live it is humid most of the year, even in cooler weather.

I also hate dry sounds like tearing paper or cardboard, or writing with chalk or using sandpaper.

Yeah, I've noticed it's getting worse now that it's getting colder where I am. My hands will be already kind of dry, so touching anything dry like that feels like it's sucking the moisture out and I absolutely hate it. And the same with dry sounds, especially chalk or other scraping noises. Like when somebody scrapes their plate with a fork or knife. I can tolerate newspaper and cardboard, but I still don't like it much, especially that scrape-y feeling if I drag a fingernail across it.

- Sherlock Holmes

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 3:41 am

I don't have a problem with the dryness of things generally (except for foods).
I don't tolerate powdery or gritty feelings well though (chalk, dust, gravel, sawdust, metal filings, coffee grounds, sugar, concrete, etc.)

L_Holmes wrote:
get a sudden urge to rub my hands/fingertips on something soft like my shirt, or even flap my hands a bit if it is bad enough

I can definitely relate to that.

motherof2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2014, 10:17 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
I mean, obviously most of the stuff we touch is dry, but certain things I hate even touching, like chalk and chalk boards, dry dirt, gritty metal surfaces etc. Touching that stuff will make me shudder and get a sudden urge to rub my hands/fingertips on something soft like my shirt, or even flap my hands a bit if it is bad enough (like if I scraped my fingernails across something like that it feels horrible, I shiver just imagining it).

I never thought it was weird growing up, for some reason I assumed it was like that for everybody. Now I'm pretty sure it has to do with sensory sensitivy. I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same issue with dry, gritty textures.

My son is always getting his hands wet because he feels they are dry and things he touches feel dry.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 12:33 am

YES. dry, and slimy! chalkboards and rough wood come to mind...
i especially HATE feeling the frizz in my hair after a shower, even if i don't touch it. it tingles my neck and the slightest breeze makes me shudder. wiry hair is the worst. i like beanies for that reason.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 4:01 pm

Well I feel weird now, because I'm the opposite -- I'm almost phobic about things that feel oily or greasy. :?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:28 pm

Yep! Chalk, powder, dry clay and things like that - nails scratching on a blackboard or nylon stocking! (Some of them are classics).
I can´t stand the feeling of dry hands and feet.
It all gives me the chills.

Dry things I do like: A dry warm towel after a bath and martini :wink:

grbiker
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2014, 7:30 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Well I feel weird now, because I'm the opposite -- I'm almost phobic about things that feel oily or greasy. :?

No worries, I also have a strong dislike of oily/greasy. I have to wash my face/hands immediately after eating oily greasy things. Back when I was younger I suffered from oily greasy facial skin. It was torture for me. I needed to wash my face several times a day.

Fibbox
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Oct 2014, 6:17 am

I feel the same except i have this exception where i quite like the feeling of touching dry teabags.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 7:08 am

grbiker wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

No worries, I also have a strong dislike of oily/greasy. I have to wash my face/hands immediately after eating oily greasy things. Back when I was younger I suffered from oily greasy facial skin. It was torture for me. I needed to wash my face several times a day.

Thanks grbiker! Good to know I'm not alone; yes, I'm the same, I can eat greasy things but only if I know I can run directly to water and soap right after, hahaha! :lol:

Metalgear29
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2014, 9:01 am

I hate dry textures, especially when it's cold and there's little moisture in the air. It drives me nuts. I especially hate my feet being dry

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2014, 9:08 am

Touching dry stuff doesn't bother me but I've always really hated anything sticky.