Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 8:37 pm

I was diagnosed with aspergers. I am successful and have friends.
One day my wife and I were in a store and there was a sign that said, " dog pen $200".
I thought wow a writing pen that looks like a dog. 200$ it must be an antique! Then I read that it was 6 feet! I asked the clerk if I could see this amazing pen! :D I was not joking!
My wife and I had to get passport photos to go to Thailand. The photographer said, lower your chin. I did. She said,"no,lower your chin". I lowered it further. I felt weird but then concluded that she wanted my facial skin to streach so that if I died in Thailand they would be able to identify my skull!! ! My wife was laughing and said,"don't lower your chin,lower your head."
I have a 140 IQ.I am not stupid! Was I having an aspie moment or just a normal lapse in intelligence?

I love debate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0
My debate style is calm and deadly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 8:48 pm

When I read your post I had the EXACT same responses and thoughts you had before reading the explanation lines. Only difference is that I was dumfounded when the sign said the pen was six feet. I could not make any sense of that. But other than that my responses were the same. I even actually lowered my chin when I read that line. But I have to say, lower your chin would be interpreted how we interpreted it by anyone aspie or not. There is no way anyone would take that to mean alter your chin's bone structure.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm

wittgenstein wrote:
I was diagnosed with aspergers. I am successful and have friends.
One day my wife and I were in a store and there was a sign that said, " dog pen $200".
I thought wow a writing pen that looks like a dog. 200$ it must be an antique! Then I read that it was 6 feet! I asked the clerk if I could see this amazing pen! :D I was not joking!
My wife and I had to get passport photos to go to Thailand. The photographer said, lower your chin. I did. She said,"no,lower your chin". I lowered it further. I felt weird but then concluded that she wanted my facial skin to streach so that if I died in Thailand they would be able to identify my skull!! ! My wife was laughing and said,"don't lower your chin,lower your head."
I have a 140 IQ.I am not stupid! Was I having an aspie moment or just a normal lapse in intelligence?

Aspie moments no doubt. Using and interpreting language literally is our natural tendency. NT's will use metaphors and euphemism regularly .

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 10:31 pm

Oh. :( I thought the sign was referencing a pen that dogs could use to write with. Perhaps it would attach to their paw with a velcro strap. I assumed the 6 feet was a typo.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2014, 10:57 pm

Yes, literally interpretation is an aspie trait.
I don't have it nearly as bad as you though. I knew what dog pen meant right away. I still don't understand the lower your chin one though. Why didn't she just say get lower or lower your head?

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2014, 11:37 pm

I believe it's supposed to be "tilt your chin" and she messed it up. I personally have no issue with stuff like this.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2014, 11:49 pm

I would have quickly realized what a 'dog pen' was, however, I would have still pictured a dog sitting at a table writing with a pen...which is what I did when I read the original post.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 11:49 pm

I took the 6-foot dog pen thing literally too... aspies rock :lol:

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:16 am

My first thought was correct (the intended meaning) in both cases.

But yeah, OP, aspies can be very literal, so those were aspie moments.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 8:32 am

I've made those same kind of mistakes in taking things literally all my life, and yes, even with a fair-to-high IQ, people have become convinced I must be stupid because of moments like these. It can be quite painful to be that misunderstood.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

Lower your chin in, I would think it means lower your chin. I didn't know saying lower your head was another way of saying it. Well your head does move when you lower your chin. I had to read it over and over to understand what you were doing and I thought "What does lower your chin mean" and then I thought "isn't that what you were doing" when you wrote your wife told you to lower your head and then I realized you probably were opening your mouth wide.

There are two different pens, pen you write with and pen you put a baby/toddler or animal in. I knew they meant dog kennels but I knew what you were exactly thinking and I also pictured a pen looking like a dog and it's a huge pen.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 12:09 pm

No, I don't usually take things like that a different way, but what you're describing sounds something that's fairly common in people with ASDs.

Obviously I sometimes make mistakes, but that's because I'm human. But I'm pretty good with knowing which way to take things compared to a lot of Aspies. I would give some examples but I can't think of anything off-hand at the moment.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

How do you lower your chin without lowering your head?
I tried, but my neck doesn't move that way.

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 2:51 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I've made those same kind of mistakes in taking things literally all my life, and yes, even with a fair-to-high IQ, people have become convinced I must be stupid because of moments like these. It can be quite painful to be that misunderstood.

I agree with your final comment ... I too have my moments .... We have a busy , bustling staffroom and to "cope" I throw myself into surfing the web on my mobile , this means I'm kinda in the zone and block out the outside world so to speak ... Anyways , sometimes someone's called to me from a distance away and when I don't answer I get nudged or my name shouted louder . Then when I respond usually with a slight shock after being disturbed there are usually a few derisory looks as though i'm stupid or somethng . Very hurtful especially when i'm almost certain that I have a higher IQ than anyone in the room :(

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 2:53 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
How do you lower your chin without lowering your head?
I tried, but my neck doesn't move that way.

Open your mouth , lowering your bottom lip and chin maybe ?

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 6:17 am

Actually I kept my lips together while I lowered my chin. My cheek skin got tight and I thought that that was what they wanted (in order to see my skull and use that info to possibly identify my body). I grew concerned because I knew that I couldn't keep lowering my chin and keep my lips together.
I just realized that this post is at the top of the page. Imagine reading the above without knowing the context!! :D

I love debate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0
My debate style is calm and deadly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM