Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 9:43 am

As an autistic, were there any resources such as books or sites on autism that helped you to function and solve some of the typically autistic problems?

Could you share what they were?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 9:47 am

Tony Attwood's The Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome. This book is great and Tony is a leading authority on the subject. It is very comprehensive and is written for teachers so it has a ton of strategies. I have read it twice. It really helped me understand myself so much better and help me understand what Asperger's is and what it means to have it. Most of the coping strategies are for teachers and parents to use with kids but you can adapt many of them to yourself. I have not used them because over the years I have developed my own strategies that work for me but I have looked at them and they are very good. The book is very inexpensive if you get it on Amazon.

Wreck It Ralph

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

AS (yes that site) helped me get some general ideas about the disorder (what are some of the symptoms) from there a nice old guy at a local book store was able to help me when I asked I'm looking for a book on Aspergers as that is what I thought I had and prob more then likely would have been diagnosed as such if the changes to the DSM didn't take place
Tony attwood's Complete Guide to Aspergers was one of the first books he pulled off the shelf and told me to read. Furthermore these videos also help too. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdSzM3MHfOA[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pp8jcQ97pY[/youtube]

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

Oh, I actually have the Complete Guide in pdf fornat - guess I better start reading. I'll try to watch those videos some time too, though I find it kinda hard to focus when something like this play.

Thanks you too!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 10:28 am

TheValk wrote:
Oh, I actually have the Complete Guide in pdf fornat - guess I better start reading.
Even though it's 400 or so pages total I found it so interesting that I read it in less than two days. I think it will help you tremendously. Have fun! :D

Wreck It Ralph

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 12:58 pm

- Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin

- The Autistic Brain, also by Temple Grandin

- Aspergirls by Rudy Simone

- The book Asperger's and Girls

- The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

- The Temple Grandin movie

- The Asperclick forums

- WrongPlanet (here)

- WillowHope's AS videos on Youtube

- Look Me In the Eye by John Elder Robison

- Life, Animated by Ron Suskind

- A Friend Like Henry by Nuala Gardner

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

snufkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2014, 2:54 pm

I actually did not care very much for Tony Attwood's book, but I know that a lot of people here like it very much. I find that he focuses too much on children, and doesn't take into account the problems of autistic adults. For me it was basically a guide to understand how most professionals view autism, stereotypes and all.

I can really recommend the books of Olga Bogdashina. Especially "Theory of Mind and the Triad of Perspectives on Autism and Asperger Syndrome". It is divided in four parts, all of which explore the exact same subject, but from different perspectives; the official definitions, the views of autistics themselves, the views of parents and newer research and theories.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 3:02 pm

snufkin wrote:
I actually did not care very much for Tony Attwood's book, but I know that a lot of people here like it very much. I find that he focuses too much on children, and doesn't take into account the problems of autistic adults.
That's because it was written specifically for teachers of children.

Wreck It Ralph

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 3:54 pm

'A survival guide for people with Asperger syndrome' by Marc Segar:
http://www.autismusundcomputer.de/marc2.en.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Autistic_Survival_Guide
(It may be a bit old, sometimes outdated, but still the most comprehensive, IMO. Newer is not always better.)

I particularly liked this book:
'A Field Guide to Earthlings: An autistic/Asperger view of neurotypical behavior' by Ian Ford

Most practical advices came from these two sources (at least to me), but there's a myriad of good books worth to read, just for pleasure. I enjoyed 'Thinking in Pictures' by Temple Grandin, 'The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships' by Temple Grandin and Sean Barron, and 'Look Me in the Eye' by John Elder Robison.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 4:07 pm

Turns out I already have two of Bogdashina's books, too.

Many thanks everyone! :D