Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 5:57 am

I think it'd make more sense if there was a topic like this in the AS forum, so here it is.

Mine:

Red Mages
Gaia Online
LEGO Bionicle
The Final Fantasy series in general
Rikku from Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2

Last edited by RedMage on 06 Mar 2007, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sapphires
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2007, 6:00 am

I don't have any gaming obsessions.
I do have to check my watch every few minutes, though.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 6:01 am

This topic is about all your obsessions, not just gaming ones. I'm obsessed with LEGO Bionicle, and that hasn't got anything to do with video games.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 6:13 am

Video Games, Especially C&C Zero Hour/Final Fantasy/Dawn of War
Stargate
Military
Politics
Space
Science, especially military associated <_<

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 6:17 am

LEGO!! !!

I had a gaming obsession - thank the lord I realised 'clocking' a game ain't that thrilling.

Electricity - still an obsession - wanna see my CNC machine? -Computer Numerical Controlled machine - used for automating kinetic tasks.

others which I developed.....

Sciences - broadly, but mostly Physics , and then Philosphy of , Future of , History of ... blah blah blah - put it this way I buy Popular Science magazines.

Creating/Building - anything ... if sand is my clay then I'lll turn it into a castle, but I'll try and build an asymetrically suspended bridge to make it hard!

and now that I'm older -- Girls!

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 6:29 am

LEGO is awesome. I've been collecting Bionicles since 2000.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 6:33 am

PHILOSOPHY :D

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 6:54 am

LEGOO ,,, yeah ... when I see my cousin I sually sit down on the floor legs crossed tell him to get lost - you wouldn't know hat your doing - watch the proffesional - you'll then see me bend over and get on my knees - now you know that I'm really into it - If I start drooling, then I must be onto something either pretty technical or the advent of a new LEGO box set. -I even used to do designs, that I was going to 'submit' to LEGO denmark for the nobel prize in award for LEGO design. :D

I had the train set running around my room, I even suspended it from the ceiling at one stage after I saw it done at the LEGO fair (man they used to be big)

My electrical aspirations also had an effect on my lego...

My train set had automatic gate operation, -no pressing buttons for me - I put microswitches into the track - the hard part was the wiring --can any one say Daisy Chain at the age of 10? - I later found out what a daisy chain was.

The transformer to run the train was built by a family friend -- which I used for everything, from charging batteries to testing circuits., and even burning stuff for the fun of it. (Shaved Match Heads and a spark are fun!)

Every Lego creation I made waranted the need to be 'electrified' ,at first it was globes ... but I soon became adept at rigging lego techinque cogs to 3V motors, then later 12V motors(the connection would always break - didn't matter how precise I was or what kind of glue I had)

then I saved up enough money to get a Radio controlled car - that ended my Lego obssesion ---untill my baby cousin got some -OK yeah I bought it for my cousin - shame he's not Autisticly disposed, he hardly plays with them - I think he'd rather eat the blocks.

---PHILOSOPHY ... I am more of the ...Is existance dependent on another existance type stuff vs. confusia says stuff.

here's one....

NOTHING IS EVER DIFFERENT

-try to accentuate different parts of the phrase untill you see a different meaning in it.

eg.

nothing IS ever DIFFERENT
NOTHING is EVER different
NOTHING is ever different

-it's a great saying for a punk rocker goth type to say when they stroll into Maccas!

DoubleFeed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2007, 8:26 am

Learning the types of everything, with a focus on advanced mechanical technology.

Photon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2007, 9:07 am

I have had many obsessions some have lasted years and some a few months.
Some old obsessions become part of my interests again untill something new or old comes in it's place.

Up to date, my obsession of particle physics has quietened down and has been overtaken with my obsession with passenger jets, particularly the Embraer ERJ series.
This has been a old obsession of mine and now I can't seem to think of anyhting else other than the Embraer ERJ.
(My OCD can disrupt my interests)

The difference between the my obession with particles physics and Aviation and passenger jets is that, particle physics require visualisation and imagination as well as learning, but I can never interact with physics on an intimate level unlike aviation and passenger jets.
My love for aviation does involve imagination and knowledge, but where physics stops with imagination/knowledge, aviation carries on with visual and physical interaction. I can interact with my interests at the airport or on a flight, and because I have seen and flown in a Embrear, I can relate to the aircraft more closely than physics. Which doesn't and cannot involve in this form of interaction.

When I view a photograph or written data of the embraer at home, I can recall the memory of the aircraft as well as the scale and details of my visit from the airport.
My imagination with this visual knowledge gives me some common familiarity with the aircraft, to the extent were I feel as though I have flown her/her as a crew member or as a first officer (no specific sex). I feel as though I can share a common interest more with the ERJ than with my family.
Sometimes I feel as though I can feel the aircraft, please don't be take this as an assumption that I am having a rleationship with this aircraft!! ! I am merely describing how well I know the shape and details of the fuselage.
My knowledge of aviation is an essential part of my obsessions with the embraer, I couldn't share any interest with the aircraft without knowing how it works and how it operates, part of my steep knowledge and some experience of flying enforces this interest.

Does anybody have obsessions that might require physical interaction rather interaction based on reading a book?

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 9:15 am

my avator speaks for me here, door hardware(for those who dont know what that is, its a door closer) and computers i have been at these since about 6th grade middle school and even now, still love them

computers that one started since about 6 months to a year after graduating high school, when i had soo many problems with a win xp and i was to blame so i started fixing it and as i fixed it i got better at it to the point were i dont bother to call for tech support unless its a hardware problem(no not the closer) :lol: but if its modem, or harddrive then yea maybe ill call or ill use the other computer and im my tech cousin for an opinion.

in past my obcessions were camping, car parts, car shock absorbers(not kidding) spark plugs, golf carts(because my grandfather had one and couldnt walk too well so i drove it with him in it sometimes)

before that it was wanting to be a doctor,(due to i was always going to one for add/adhd because aspergers wasnt widely known at time) that stopped when my aunt who was a nurse told me the reality of it (too much handwashing) thats when cars and car parts came into play and then middle school struck and then car parts to door closers.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 9:23 am

How things work, gears,the elements, moveing large heavy objects, machine tools and currently metal casting I made this from aluminum

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 9:39 am

cool hand casting there parts!! ! i love how things work as well, (got any cutaways or books on it??) i also feel at home if in a machine shop or in garage or a factory (cant find many of those around, factories) i wonder, do you know much about monitor top refridgerators or electronics tubes?? i know some because of another aspie who is too shy to come to wrongplanet. i think it would be really interesting if you and him talked, you and him problaby would have alot in common. he usually is in the chat room at night in irc freenode channel wrongplanet.

i know i can only take the horse to water but cant make him drink,

btw, how you like the avator??
<<

Photon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2007, 9:44 am

:roll:
My post seemed to suggest that I work with the Embraer or as a crew member or airline Pilot, this isn't quite the case. My job is below ordinary.
I'm an aeroplane enthusiast who holds a job that doesn't involve flying or anythink in the aviation business.
My dream on the otherhand goes with the latter.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 9:59 am

Cats are my number one obsession.

My favorite athlete is Roger Bannister. He is very inspirational to me.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 11:08 am

It varies. I find my probable bi polar at times makes it very difficult to sustain a focus on deeper obsessions, so my current one is this forum and the whole issue of Aspergers and of course, the man I have been obsessed with for 9 months. Since realising, I have bought around 8-9 books related to it as well as joining all the forums I could find. I get anxious and upset if I cannot get on the net to come on here and post. Harry Potter and music are also obsessions. I find it frustrating really that I do not have any educational and useful obsessions... nothing in the sciences, nothing particularly unusual.

Past obsessions have included...

Tv Listings-I would spend hours obsessing over the tv listings.
Birds Of Prey
Horses
Rutger Hauer.
Hammer Horror/Dracula
Anastasia(The romanovs)
Roman times
Butterflies
Doctor Who
Star Trek
Bladerunner
Karen Carpenter
Spirituality/native american things
Chess
Photography(especially the printing in darkroom part)
My little ponies
stones and shells
astrology
poetry(especially sylvia plath)
NASA
Disasters
Serial Killers
Challenger space shuttle disaster
Most Haunted/the paranormal
Rubbers/erasers (used to have a massive collection)
antique dolls.
antique cameras
magazines (believe it or not. Embarrassingly, in my teen years, I would buy every single womans magazine out there. Still, I guess I must have learnt at least something about THAT world from them!)
Annuals(I collected loads of girls annuals when young)
Disney things-everything disney. Still have most of it too.
Mental asylums
Card games-I went through a major thing with playing card games when young.
Crossword puzzles-used to do these daily for hours and hours.
Tetris-gameboy game.
Art-I bought loads and loads of artist materials, and would try and paint everyday...quit when I couldn't get to a standard I wanted.

Last edited by Graelwyn on 06 Mar 2007, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.