Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

tyb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Mar 2007, 6:21 pm

Do you think you will be able to live independently from other people's help?

I've realized that this is not the case for me. I will most likely need people by my side throughout my life, especially when it comes to socializing. I need people to help me with routines and structure, or else I will lose track of time and space. Talking formally with instances is something I'm weak at, since I am fairly disorganized in my thoughts.

How about you? What kind of help do you need?

(This message will most likely contain grammatical errors. I've learned English entirely from TV and Internet, so I'm sorry for the unintentional abuse of the language. ;) )

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 6:26 pm

I'm only eighteen, so it's still hard to say. But when I get married once I finish (and start) college, I'm going to make sure he does all the housework and taxes! lol

BTW, your English is perfectly fine! I didn't see a single mistake. Heck, it's actually better than most people whom have been speaking English their whole lives!

09 Mar 2007, 6:37 pm

I think I will eventually not need anyone's help anymore as I get older once I figure more stuff out. I've only been an adult for three and a half years so I'm not going to understand everything. When something happens, I call my parents because I don't know what to do or who to call even though I know to look in the yellow pages but I don't know what to look under. I also need help with what to wear when something important comes up like having a job interview. I didn't know what clothes be best for me to wear so I had to have my aunt help me.
I'm capable of asking when I need it but unfortunitly I don't always do it because I think I can do it myself before someone decides to help me.

I'm surprised you'll always need help and you're aspie? I thought aspies didn't have problems with self help skills according to the DSM-IV criteria.

Could I really be an apsie? Not sure. Or was it my hearing loss and me being stuck in speciel ed for two years and my psychaitrist didn't know where to put me at so he picked Aspergers even though I still had a chance that I still would have had a speech delay even if I didn't lose my hearing but they'll never know. Not a question for anyone to answer.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 9:48 pm

Yes - even at 28. -It's the Never Ending Stooooreeeee .. of my life.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 10:08 pm

Yeah, Actually the AS diagnosis I read speak of AS people having social problems as the only metal disability. I admit it that sometimes my observation/understanding has been different than others. Sometimes I might even feel stupid, but that is RARE. Usually the shoe is on the other foot.

As for help? I guess my problem is social. That's IT! Unfortunately, it seems that NOBODY is willing to really help there. I have tried several classes CLAIMING to. Each was a scam.

Steve

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Mar 2007, 10:14 pm

the only help i need right now is some serious money management skills.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 10:27 pm

I appreciate that my husband makes most phone calls for me, and manages all the household paperwork.

Mozart
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2007, 2:44 am

I have been always independant...live on my own and have done so for years. I do like people, but they tire me so much. I tend not to rely on friends for help, instead I pay and use professional services for this. So, in a sense I am independant, but then again I do rely on doctors etc for assistance.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 2:55 am

I really need someone to hold my hand and convince me to do what I need to do. Otherwise, my tendency is just to rot.