Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 5:49 am

Why do you hate it? I mean, I see it as a good thing. For one, they accepting themselves. Not only that, but it gives me the feeling that I'm also not alone in the world. It lets the world know that just because we have autism doesn't make us ret*ds. In fact, I see it as a the perfect awareness.

So, why do you hate it so much? D:

AdamK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2014, 5:50 am

I don't hate it. Why do you presume people on here do?

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 5:52 am

I don't know. I've just seen people say they hate those who come out with it over those that they suspect have it. D:

AdamK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2014, 5:58 am

I know this probabley isn't the response you were hoping to get, but why not ask the people who have spesifically said it? I agree with you. It's a good thing that famous people are willing to admit that they have it, for the same reasons you do.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 7:17 am

I think it's generally a positive thing. If they have been diagnosed and can explain how their autism hasn't held them back, or the ways in which they had to do things differently in order to succeed/function, then I think it's great education for the general public, and potentially very encouraging and helpful for people on the spectrum. I think the more high-profile public figures come out with their autism the better for everyone's greater understanding of how nuanced this spectrum really is.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2014, 7:36 am

I don't hate it. I just don't care. Like. At all.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 8:02 am

I think it's a good thing. Think about all the gay celebrities who started stepping forward in the 90's. I don't think it's any different now then it was then.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Oct 2014, 8:11 am

I hate it when people try and claim that so-and-so is autistic when they obviously aren't/weren't, and similarly I hate when they say "I'm a little bit autistic" or similar without any diagnosis or anything, because I think both of those provide a warped picture of what autism is. I don't mind when people who actually have a diagnosis say "I have a diagnosis".

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2014, 8:21 am

With no background information, I can't really give an opinion on this. Which celebrities, for example, have come out as autistic? I might find it hard to believe, as few autistic people would have the opportunity or inclination to become celebrities. Even Temple Grandin is not someone I consider a celebrity, just a well-known spokesperson.

If Kim Kardashian came out as autistic, yeah, I would call B.S. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone who's already notoriously private, like say Christopher Lloyd.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 9:19 am

Evil_Chuck wrote:
With no background information, I can't really give an opinion on this. Which celebrities, for example, have come out as autistic? I might find it hard to believe, as few autistic people would have the opportunity or inclination to become celebrities. Even Temple Grandin is not someone I consider a celebrity, just a well-known spokesperson.

If Kim Kardashian came out as autistic, yeah, I would call B.S. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone who's already notoriously private, like say Christopher Lloyd.

Oh wait, i see what you are saying. I thought you said she did come out as Autistic.

Moving on. If you watch American Idol, James Durbin came out as having AS and Tourette's. Also, Adam Young from owl City has it as well. I know Adam Young says he's very anti-social and extremely introverted.

Here is James Durbin right here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrlqh3Pt8o[/youtube]

I just curious about autistic/aspie celebrities, and I found these too.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 10:29 am

Evil_Chuck wrote:
...Which celebrities, for example, have come out as autistic? I might find it hard to believe, as few autistic people would have the opportunity or inclination to become celebrities. Even Temple Grandin is not someone I consider a celebrity, just a well-known spokesperson.

Well, a quick Internet search http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-peopl ... =SLIDESHOW shows actor Dan Ackroyd (self-diagnosed), musician James Taylor, musician Susan Boyle, actor Daryl Hannah, musician David Byrne (self-diagnosed), musician Travis Meeks, fashion model Heather Kuzmich, musician Gary Numan, musician James Durbin, musician Craig Nicholls, actor Paddy Considine, actor/filmmaker Dan Harmon (self-diagnosed), surfer Clay Marzo, musician Pip Brown and musician Adam Young have various ASDs. So, it isn't unusual for celebrities to admit theirs.

I have worked with hundreds of celebrities. Several were very quiet and private even when in conversations, or didn't make eye contact. Christopher Lloyd is one like that. Bob Redford (one of my former employers) is painfully shy and quiet even when it was just he and I speaking to each other. Sig Weaver is quiet and a low-talker unless she has had some wine (and then, she is incredibly funny). John Lithgow never said a word to me when we had dinner face-to-face at the same table literally inches away from each other. George Carlin is thoughtful and quiet. Eddie Olmos and Bob Duvall, too. I have wondered if they were that way because, at those moments, they were "off-script" or just shy. Maybe they needed more than one or two people to talk with before they would resort to their name-brand characteristics (masking). I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if they also had ASDs.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 10:51 am

It was when a friend mentioned that British 70s and 80s musician Gary Numan had come out with his Asperger's diagnosis, that I first looked up more information about it -- and got the shock of my life because when I read the general traits and symptoms, I was reading about myself.

That was about seven years ago. It's taken me that long to go ahead and get my assessment, and I'm now diagnosed, but that was years wondering and all triggered by a celebrity mentioning it in public.

So, a celebrity speaking openly about their being on the autism spectrum can even help some people from the further back generations who never got to realize they share the traits.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 10:54 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
...So, a celebrity speaking openly about their being on the autism spectrum can even help some people from the further back generations who never got to realize they share the traits.

Exactly! Congratulations for acting on good advice.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 11:40 am

David, I'm wowed by the talented folks you've had dealings with! Those encounters must have been quite interesting and made some memories.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 11:57 am

I have mixed feelings about this first I am glad that they have the courage to announce to the word that hey I have Autism or Hey I have Aspergers but on the other hand with more celebs coming out as autistic could also make the disorder "trendy". I can picture some tween brats comparing/arguing about it with each other brat 1: "yea I have Autism just like xyz!" brat 2: "yea well I had Autism way before it was cool" brat 3: "like omg will you two stfu I have the biggest autism over all you b!tches" stuff like that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 11:59 am

If you don't mind me asking: what kinda work do you do- that you get hired by all of these celebs?