Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 9:36 pm

Does anyone else ever notice themselves developing new stims they didn't have before? Like, for example, I didn't used to rock back and forth when I was sad or anxious, but now I find myself doing it all the time, when I get sad or anxious...even when I know people are watching. I think it started when I was flying home from Fall Break a few weeks ago....I was sitting between these two guys, and I was holding my hoodie in my lap (I took it off cuz it was so hot in the cabin, and when we came in for a landing, we hit the runway REALLY hard, and I was really shaken up and had been feeling airsick beforehand, so I cuddled my hoodie against my face and rocked back and forth in my seat some, with my eyes partially covered. It did help, and I don't think the guys I was sitting with noticed.

I like rocking myself back and forth because it reminds me of being held and rocked by someone in a rocking chair. It also tends to make me feel better when I'm not feeling well, or trying to fall asleep. Does anyone else develop new stims in order to fill specific emotional or physical needs?

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 2:23 am

I don't know about developing new stims. But I have developed new integration methods for my stims, so they look less obvious to others when done in public.