Anyone here have shutdowns rather than meltdowns?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Nadakan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2014, 12:27 pm

Yes, most of my life has consisted of wavering between shut down mode and feeling.. I can walk away from the world into my own.
But feelings confuse me. I go back and forth with people. I don't know why. I just cut out. It's hard to explain. It doesn't do wonders for intimate relationships or close friendships.
I feel close to people only rarely, otherwise I feel alone and in my own world.
I have no idea how to remedy it but to meditate I think.
I'm not sure whether I am in shutdown mode now or not because of a disagreement between me and someone. Perhaps. My feelings for this person has pretty much dissipated. I can't locate them right now. I know they are there somewhere but they are hard to reach. My mind is too vigilant.
I shut down because I can't relax easily and when it do it feels very, very freeing; like a new world. It's occasional thus far but I hope it becomes more regular once I try to remain with my feelings if at all possible.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 11:58 am

Norny wrote:
Your likening of those around you to baboons preceded by those adjectives emphasizes your personal disgust of such individuals, hence it is not functionally useful as your main intention was clearly not for comparative purposes.

I'm thinking that would be assuming I don't like baboons. It's actually certain behaviors that I have personal disgust for, and those behaviors are shared between baboons, humans, and other primates. Thus, it is extremely functionally useful because the behaviors exist in both species.
The comparison between the two is there and very direct. I could elaborate more about which specific behaviors and their origins, but I would expect most people here to get what I'm talking about without further explanation.

olympiadis wrote:
On the other hand, the more objective view would simply not make many other people happy, you being a perfect example to cite here. You seem to me to be unhappy about my shared assessments here.
People automatically become upset when their world view is not supported by other people around them.
If this doesn't help bring the aggressive nature of memetics into the light for you, then I doubt that I can ever do it.

Norny wrote:
You presume your view to be objective, and that mine is significantly less so.
I could say exactly the same of you regarding the other stuff.

I'm not upset that you don't share my views, and I don't follow you here and counter-post telling you your views have no basis in reality. I'm quite used to other people disagreeing with my views, even when they fully understand them.

olympiadis wrote:
Frustration is a mental state, but stress can be measured in concrete reality.

Norny wrote:
I don't understand why you wrote that.

Please take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4UMyTnlaMY

Certain behaviors and the memes that drive them are reason for my disgust and frustration, which are imagined states. However, the physiological changes that precede those imagined states are real, and measurable in both humans, and other animals that are infected with similar memes.

I think the video will help you make the connection there, and hopefully help you understand much about what my statements were based on, rather than sticking to your speculation about my hatred of NTs, emotionally controlled reactions, and so on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 12:26 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4UMyTnlaMY[/youtube]
I don't believe that humans can learn from baboons, in that the only thing humans learn from history is that we don't learn from it. there is nothing that will prevent our eventual extinction.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 5:04 pm

gamerdad wrote:
I do. I can only think of one real meltdown I've had as an adult, but I tend to get shutdowns on a monthly basis. I think the author of this article pretty well captures how I feel when I shut down.

That's me as well, though when under stress or a lot of changes in my life I shutdown more often - sometimes 2 or 3 times a month.

(Quoted from the blog article by musingsofanaspie - linked on gamerdad's post). ~>
"Once I?ve disappeared, though, the dominant feeling is one of comfortable blankness. Relief.

Withdrawing or shutting down is obviously a defense mechanism. My brain decides that the processing demands of my environment have become too high and it takes some resources offline for a while. The withdrawal itself is restorative, a sensory timeout, but it?s not voluntary and even when I know it?s happening, there?s little I can do to stop or control it."

Yew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2014, 8:16 pm

auntblabby wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4UMyTnlaMY[/youtube]
I don't believe that humans can learn from baboons, in that the only thing humans learn from history is that we don't learn from it. there is nothing that will prevent our eventual extinction.

I've learned from this video that large quantities of infected meat in strategical places could at least postpone our extinction.