Am I the only Aspie out there who belevies in a God?

Page 3 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:34 pm

jk1 wrote:
I have seen quite a few people here who believe in God although they still seem to be the minority. There is even a priest that posts here sometimes. I think it's a lot to do with how you are raised rather than whether you have autism or not.

That must be strong influence.

But yeah there are quite a few actually, me included.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 12:11 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
jk1 wrote:
...... and being surprised and amazed by how intensely logical Catholic theology is....

Why won't God heal amputees? http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

Now show me your logic.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2014, 12:31 am

Catholic Christian so yes, I believe in God.

PhoenixRising
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2014, 12:37 am

I am a Christian Catholic, yet respect other religions.

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2014, 12:38 am

Even though I have no way of proving it, I believe in a higher power. (I'm agnostic theist btw.)

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2014, 12:54 am

I believe in God

grbiker
Raven
Raven

25 Oct 2014, 12:57 am

I believe in something like a god, don't know what he/she looks like or even if it takes any kind of form at all other than the form of the universe and the forces of creation and change, of churning and drift, concentration and dispersal, of destruction, both immediate and violent, as well as the slow erosion of one form and the forming of another, of death and birth. My place is to look on in awe, to experience with thoughtfulness and wonder, and to share this with others when I am able.

I have the great fortune to witness and observe this, in nature and in communion with others. I am part of this universal creation so I take comfort in that, though I make no assumptions that I will ever know anything but a sliver of the truth. So I would never be able to say "this is the truth as god proclaimed" and I would never want to.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 1:29 am

sharkattack wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
I am a gay Aspie and I believe that God made me the way he wanted me to be.

Your Gay I don't want you here on this board. :x

I am the only gay in this village. :lol:

Edit click on the link and watch the video. :wink:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlzaBNgz-M[/youtube]

Oh my god, how did I even know before I saw what that link was to, that you were going to quote Little Britain "I'm the only gay in the villiage"? Great stuff dude, that show is a freakin' gem. "The computer says no."

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 1:39 am

slave wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
jk1 wrote:
...... and being surprised and amazed by how intensely logical Catholic theology is....

Why won't God heal amputees? http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

Now show me your logic.

That's not technically theology unless you were wondering how a tri-omni god can be consistent.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 2:53 am

I also believe in a god and religion too.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2014, 2:54 am

I believe in a "something greater" that deserves praise and glory, but whether this is an omnipotent deity or just nature itself, I am not sure. I wouldn't really say that I am a practicing Christian, but if he is the God that I think of/pray to when I'm feeling particularly spiritual. I mentioned nature, because I believe that even if a God doesn't exist that people should believe in some sort of higher power.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 4:18 am

I wanted to answer with a one liner, but I can't.
I was raised Catholic and at various times in my life found great solace in sitting in an almost empty church meditating on ?life?. I do believe that there is something greater, a higher power, interconnectedness, but I don?t believe that it is limited to deities as the only religious truth.

Something that confused me greatly as a child was the significance of Mary, every May we had a special shrine area for her statue and fresh cut flowers, as the only noteworthy (equal to males) female in a religion lacking in female role models she was very important to me. But, when I learned about her less significant role in other Christian faiths, it made me question their validity on the basis of gender representation. This and other inconsistencies between the spoken word and reality led to the eventual questioning of the validity of my faith.
In an Irish context, there were deep rooted religious and historical prejudices, I felt strongly about past injustices which I learned about from most people in my environment, then I learned about the relationship between religion and politics. The concept of hypocrisy and manipulation set in and led to a deeper level of questioning.

I don?t know what is the absolute truth, but a faith as a spiritual guide encourages people to live a meaningful life, and this to me is incredibly significant in a first world consumed by corporate driven materialism; spiritual wellness comes in many forms and in my interpretation of well-being I consider most faiths as equally valid.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2014, 4:52 am

Amity wrote:
I don?t know what is the absolute truth, but a faith as a spiritual guide encourages people to live a meaningful life, and this to me is incredibly significant in a first world consumed by corporate driven materialism; spiritual wellness comes in many forms and in my interpretation of well-being I consider most faiths as equally valid.

I think you wrote this part very well and I share the same thoughts on the matter :)

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 5:03 am

Thanks calstar2, tolerance is a powerful concept :)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 10:05 am

The modern concept of 'tolerance' often excludes religious beliefs. That is also irrational.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 10:31 am

jbw wrote:
I think everyone relies on an innate belief system that is generated by the personal experience of life, which shapes our interpretations of the events that we perceive. Whether such a belief system is labeled God or something else does not matter.

It is however easy to confuse labels used by others with a seemingly corresponding concept in one's own mind. Debates about perceived conceptual mismatches between belief systems are the source of many unnecessary conflicts.
Any conscious mind makes use of recursive representations. This means our minds are capable of generating simulations of our own mind and simulations of other minds, one of which we may label God. All these simulations are inevitably biased by our experiences and perceptions, but no one from the outside is qualified to pass any judgement on our personal mind simulations, because firstly they can not experience our private simulations first hand with high fidelity, and secondly, their experiences do not match our own, so a divergence in the interpretation of the simulation is inevitable.
Awiddershinlife wrote:
It is fascinating how a species with metacognition deals with this singual reality. I demand that every moment of my meaningless life is spent in a positive frame of mind. Many of us struggle with depression. I refuse to accept depression as acceptable. My God and I reject it. I am going to enjoy my life. God helps me accomplish this through many travails.

This is a very healthy attitude. My belief system is based on a "force of life", specifically the belief that the notion of life, covering all living creatures, is positive and "worthwhile" (whatever that means ;-) ) to experience.

I was thinking that I would either have to avoid this altogether or write a very long post, but you already pretty much covered it. It is a very pleasant surprise to find someone expressing views so congruent with my own. Most people, religious and atheist alike, are intolerant of this sort or reality-based approach.

I take elements of Christian, Buddhist and Taoist thinking and use them freely in my personal religion. It's outward form is mostly Christian, but with detail that most Christians find heretical. My God is more of the "ground of being" variety and not a being. I take the single most important statement of the Gospels to be "I am the truth" and extended that to that which is true is God. Reality is the first and greatest testament, all scriptural and cultural claims which are counter to observable reality are obviously cultural works and must be viewed as either poetic and metaphorical or simple error.

I am sure I don't know a great deal about reality, but I am sure that there is no god who cares about the way you wear your hair or when and what type of hat you wear.

Monty Python got most of it right in "The Meaning of Life."