Has anyone ever fallen out of love with ....music !?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 3:07 am

Hi.

Due to a recent very stressful daughter's wedding I suddenly stopped listening to music .
Now listening to music is one of my obsessions or crutches ... I have a hi fi in every room in the house ( even one in the bathroom towel cupboard ) .
I cannot bear silence so I put music on wherever I am ..

Anyways my wife noticed that I suddenly stopped having music on a couple of weeks ago and I knew that it was the stress of the upcoming wedding BUT that was a few days ago and I can't see myself ever wanting music on again ! !'

My son put a CD on in the car yesterday , one of my CDs but it just left me cold there was no pleasure at all ..

Any thoughts !?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 4:23 am

I kind of understand. I haven't been listening to music much lately although it is one of my obesessions.

I think it is to do with stimulation overload. Your body is trying to deal with the outward stress being placed on it by the wedding and it just can't take any more outward stimulation. Music is another thing it has to process, but your body is already trying to process so much already that you can't deal with any more stimula and so rather than being soothing or enjoyable the music is like just another noise the body is trying to process.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 4:51 am

^ I agree with that. I've never been a big music fan. I listened to music a bit and there are still some songs I like. But when I do listen to music, I must be just listening to it without doing anything else. If I'm doing something else, music irritates me. As there have been many occasions where I was forced to hear music and argue with people about it, I have developed "musicophobia". I hate music.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 12:34 pm

I've been a musician for years so, not only did I buy and listen to music, but I made it as well. About 2 years ago I went into a deep depression where not even music could cheer me up. I stopped listening for a few months and either simply watched TV or slept. I suppose my depression prevented me from enjoying myself. These days I'm on medication so I'm back to listening to music. I missed it and glad to have it back.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 11:37 pm

Maybe try a different genre. I usually prefer metal, hard rock or grunge however sometimes that becomes too far much to process and I prefer something much softer. Playing acoustic guitar helps calm down and relax while playing electric with the gain turned up helps me feel more energetic and confident.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 11:58 pm

Zincubus wrote:
Hi.

Due to a recent very stressful daughter's wedding I suddenly stopped listening to music .
Now listening to music is one of my obsessions or crutches ... I have a hi fi in every room in the house ( even one in the bathroom towel cupboard ) .
I cannot bear silence so I put music on wherever I am ..

Anyways my wife noticed that I suddenly stopped having music on a couple of weeks ago and I knew that it was the stress of the upcoming wedding BUT that was a few days ago and I can't see myself ever wanting music on again ! !'

My son put a CD on in the car yesterday , one of my CDs but it just left me cold there was no pleasure at all ..

Any thoughts !?

you will come down from the stress and your love of music will return

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 5:58 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I've been a musician for years so, not only did I buy and listen to music, but I made it as well. About 2 years ago I went into a deep depression where not even music could cheer me up. I stopped listening for a few months and either simply watched TV or slept. I suppose my depression prevented me from enjoying myself. These days I'm on medication so I'm back to listening to music. I missed it and glad to have it back.

redrobin62's post could have been my own post in some key ways. I was both a music lover as a listener/consumer but also made music, and it was my special interest -- it was my whole being and my whole world in fact -- for really all of my life, until the last few years.

A few years ago I went through a massive, MASSIVE upheaval that threw my life into complete crisis. I had to start again in practical terms and the stress I went through in that time has done profound damage to me. I still struggle with PTSD and depression, on top of all the difficulties my autism already causes me anyway. I not only stopped writing my songs and composing music altogether, but I wasn't interested anymore in listening to it either.

I'm better these days but I still have never regained the habit of listening to as much music as I used to, and it's still years now since I composed any. I still enjoy some listening and usually put some on while in the shower, but music has become about 95% less a part of what's important in my life since my massive period of stress.

Stress and depression and recovering from something that stressed you can change a lot of what you used to find pleasure in.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:02 am

I can relate, because I used to absolutely love music and I listened to music obsessively. But over the years I have lost interest in a lot of the music I used to like. It wasn't due to stress though, it's just because my tastes changed. Some of the music I used to listen to a lot, just doesn't sound all that great to me anymore. And some of it I still like but I've heard it so many times it has become boring.

And now I appreciate silence a lot more than I used to. I find it really annoying to be bombarded with music in stores, restaurants, etc. Something about that just strikes me as unnatural. Before people had the ability to record music, it was much less frequent to hear it, especially on a large scale as in a choir or orchestra performance. People didn't hear music playing in the background everywhere they went. So when they did hear music, it was more significant, more special. Now it has become mundane.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 9:30 am

Once in a great while, yes. It seems that lately... I've been getting quite tired of listening to the same music over and over. I mean, I love my bands more than anything and what not. It's just that lately I haven't had much reason to focus on my love for music anymore though. It kind of makes me sad to the point where I'll force myself to listen to the music on my phone and end up flipping through song after song without settling onto one actual song.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

i have, and still do, fall out of love for a certain type/genre or band of music, but never with the whole concept of it.
music is one of the few real joys i have, and the best 'shield' against most sensory issues, i don't think i'll ever fall out of love with music as a whole

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

Big thanks to everyone ! !

Still can't stand the sound of any music ... I even tried going to sleep with ClassicFM on earphones last night .... certainly didn't help :(

grbiker
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2014, 12:05 pm

Music was always a part of my life, grew up with parents and older sisters who all took their turns playing records on the stereo, and it was on most every day. I was exposed to a lot of classic country, as well as standard rock classics. Had my fill of that.

I started playing the string bass in 4th grade, no encouragement from my family, I just chose it. But playing in the school orchestra changed the way I listened. When I started to explore my own taste in music, I chose the path less traveled, so to speak. Jazz, punk, reggae, EDM, anything weird in general I'd give a listen to.

Over the years the music got stranger and more obscure. It was like I was looking for that first time feeling, while listening to a handful of reliable favorites over and over again.

Then at one point about 12 years ago it stopped. I started to listen to the local NPR news/talk station exclusively. Would have it on all day.

I took a class at the university about 4 years ago on avant garde music and had to write about my experience of music through my life and came to the conclusion that I like most of my old favorites still, and fundamental music like Hank Williams and Johnny Cash.

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

Still can't stand being around music of ANY kind . Very distressing , it's about 5 weeks now and I usually only go off music forms couple of days or so ... whilst I'm super stressed.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 11:44 pm

The laptop follows a certain relative everywhere, playing songs about ruined hicks, violent ex-girlfriends. Enough of this stuff gets truly depressing, and it plays continuously.

I've gone bar hopping only when I was dragged along, and had the unhappy privilege of providing security. I can use all five senses (including touch and smell), to explain why these are legitimately crappy places (which probably helps sales.) And, that's where this music takes me.

I like rock and alternative, am ok with darker themes, as long as it's clever. Reverb is ok, so long as there is still a tune.

I saw a PBS show about a Japanese music teacher, and related to the way he said that Western music can be monotonous. So, he would try to incorporate the five philosophical elements into his compositions, which made them more interesting, imo.

I liked socalled "hipster" music, which had a little bit of everything.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 12:39 am

Music has been a large part of my rather long life from the beginning - my Dad was a professional musician as was his Dad. I could never fall out of love with it.

Have been grieving in recent weeks for the death of two loved animals, and found comfort in listening to favourite pieces, even though I have heard them hundreds of thousands of times before in my life.

Sometimes I think life is music, and music is the heartbeat of life. Sometimes - when people don't understand, friends don't understand - maybe I don't understand - music understands, and so exactly. I think great musicians and composers give a gift to the world that cannot be overestimated.

I will never tire of it, to my dying day. (Which may not be too far away).

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 12:51 am

Why would that be? (If you don't mind.)