Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

duck12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2014, 5:45 pm

I want to learn how to drive but have poor motor coordination, and some mild issues with depth perception. How to get over this hurdle?

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

duck12 wrote:
I want to learn how to drive but have poor motor coordination, and some mild issues with depth perception. How to get over this hurdle?

Go to a driving school, and don't mention what you think are your hurdles. Just go to school and do what you are told to do.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 7:20 pm

tall-p wrote:
duck12 wrote:

Go to a driving school, and don't mention what you think are your hurdles. Just go to school and do what you are told to do.

No no, dont do this. Bad idea.

One thing to always, ALWAYS remember with driving, no matter what the context, is how dangerous it is.

You're best off finding somewhere to learn where people can work WITHIN your limitations, rather than having to try to hide them, as then you can learn to adapt properly based on their existence. But if you just hide these things from those trying to teach you... well, it could come back to bite you later. Believe me, you DONT want any car accidents. Learn to deal with your issues properly while driving, however you must.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

Misery wrote:
tall-p wrote:
duck12 wrote:

No no, dont do this. Bad idea.

One thing to always, ALWAYS remember with driving, no matter what the context, is how dangerous it is.

You're best off finding somewhere to learn where people can work WITHIN your limitations, rather than having to try to hide them, as then you can learn to adapt properly based on their existence. But if you just hide these things from those trying to teach you... well, it could come back to bite you later. Believe me, you DONT want any car accidents. Learn to deal with your issues properly while driving, however you must.

The roads are for everyone who can pass a driver's exam. There are plenty of fine drivers who think they have "poor motor coordination." And "mild issues with depth perception?" Whatz that? These aren't medical terms that turn up on your driver's test. BUT, if you present with "problems" when you show up for lessons, then the whole learning experience is going to get off on the wrong foot.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 9:43 pm

Can someone take you to a big, empty parking lot where you can practice safely? The only way to learn is to practice.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 11:35 pm

Learning to drive is far easier then learning how to play sports as far is coordination goes. Start out in the parking lot and work up from there. To drive a car you don't have to move your arms and legs that much, just look where you want to go.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 11:39 pm

duck12 wrote:

By practising driving.

Driving a small car at highway speeds is pretty easy, although it's also pretty overwhelming at first.

wisenupjanetweiss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Oct 2014, 11:46 pm

You may be overthinking it a bit.

I could be wrong, but I know that I had the same concerns, and it's easier for me to drive than I thought before I tried it the first time.

Honestly, you don't have to make as many sudden movements as you would think, and they (whoever teaches you to drive, or at very least, the manual you must read to learn from) will teach you tangible guidelines to follow for depth perception. (E.g. the two block rule, and so on.)

As long as you have a competent, patient driver to teach you, all should go relatively well.

Sorry if anything is confusing, I had a hard time explaining that.