Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 12:02 pm

When I was 11-14: rolling dice back and forth with two piles of coins until one of the piles had all the coins. Every time I rolled, left had to give to right that amount of coins then right had to give to left the next time over. I couldn't go to bed til it was done or go out and play til it was done. It started off my evenings after homework.

When I was 21-23: I had to beat my old high score at brain master in its 5 categories (15 games total) before I could do the next step of my day.
A few years ago: I had to beat the average and 50% on lists of things before I could do anything.
Now: have recently shifted this to 'start the evening' rather than 'go to sleep'. Have to pick out a potential outfit on etsy and go through all my pinterest boards before bed/evening begins.

It keeps me for hours doing one thing.

Is this:
Intertia
Stimming
Autism related
A weird quirk that is unique to me?
Unhealthy or harmless?

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 12:14 pm

Obviously I'm just a random person on the internet, so I can only give my non professional thoughts about what you posted. With that being said:

It sounds like it could be autism related in that it is a routine that you follow. And it is typical with autism to get obsessed about something. But I'm wondering if it could also be OCD related. I am diagnosed with both OCD and autism and I'm just learning myself how to tease out the difference between the two. The reason I'm wondering about OCD in your case is that it sounds like you need a feeling of completeness in a very specific way. Do you see a doctor or a therapist? They will be able to tease out what's happening for you much better than I ever could.

I guess if it's unhealthy or harmless depends on if it's causing you distress and or preventing you from doing necessary things. For example, are you able to get enough sleep at night? Are you able to do self care? Is it preventing you from doing things that you want to do? Do you enjoy doing it or is it distressing to have to do it? Just some things to think about.