Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:02 pm

Are hallucinations in anyway related to autism?

I have been having increasing trouble with them. When I was diagnosed, the diagnostician was having trouble deciding wether to diagnose me with Aspergers and MERLD or prodromal symptoms of disorganized schizophrenia. Because my issues had been lifelong and not a recent development, she with went the first. Now I am beginning to wonder...

I've noticed that I have such a fine line on stimulation -- overstimulate me and I either dissociate or shut down, under stimulate me and I hallucinate. (I hallucinated as a child also, but always kept it secret, because even as a child I knew it was "wrong").

However, there is some degree of lucidness to me hallucinations. Moreso when I was younger than now, but there nonetheless. Sometimes I can alter them. I am aware that I am hallucinating and not seeing something real usually (I think).

Please share whatever you are willing to if you have ever hallucinated.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:05 pm

This is my feeling:

As long as they don't affect you taking care of your kids--and your functioning and happiness in life--I don't personally see anything wrong with hallucinations. Perhaps they could be used productively in a creative way--like in art or writing.

I would work hard to make sure that these hallucinations do not affect your overall functioning.

But I think you have an inner strength, and will prevail in that endeavor.

I don't believe they are part and parcel of autism--but it's possible there could be a co-morbidity involving hallucinations.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 30 Oct 2014, 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:06 pm

I have auditory hallucinations from time to time, mostly from past events that have happened during the night at my house. I always seem to think my mom is yelling for me, especially when I'm playing a game or listening to music.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:13 pm

Kraftiekortie, so far they haven't interfered with my life negatively. Tonight was the closest and worst episode I've had yet, which was why I decided to post.

I really really really don't want something degenerative where I can't take care of my kids. There is not a single thing more important to me than that.

My husband is well aware of what is going on and we are just watching it to see what comes of it. As a child, I was tested (a lot) and was said to have an eidetic memory. I no longer have this ability, but I always felt the things I saw were related to that. Both of those "abilities" faded with age. I could conjure up anything I wanted and literally see it and interact with it. (Consequently, I could also accurately draw anything I had ever seen with a high level of accuracy). I cannot do this anyone.

Now, I am not choosing to see things, but I have noticed that I can affect them...if that makes sense.

I'm trying to *not* think if the creative (or other) potential use for now, as I am trying to focus on being functional as a parent.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:14 pm

andrethemoogle, what do you do when you hear your name?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:18 pm

You're right, Screen Name, your ability to take care of your kids comes first.

But I do hope, once you've established that you could live with the hallucinations, and exist in the world "properly,", that the hallucinations could be put to use.

Sometimes, I wonder if hallucinations are merely "waking dreams" in certain cases, and not the product of psychosis.

I, myself, wish I could remember my dreams. I believe excellent literary material could be derived from them. I lament not remembering my dreams very much.

By the way: was my input useful as pertains your project for school?

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:28 pm

We are fairly certain my son (12) hallucinates. He has an excellent auditory memory too. He can't explain anything about it to us, so it's largely guesswork. He has moments where he's utterly hysterical while trying to get something off of him that isn't there :(. He seems to hear things too. He has a neurologist who has concluded it's related to epilepsy (it's kind of like an aura to a seizure). The neuro is not totally convinced though, but it's better than the dreaded S word, and switching around his anti-epileptic meds has decreased the frequency. It's kind of good to hear someone else say they've experienced this (although I'm sorry that you have), because I haven't found much on it. What kind of things do you hallucinate, if you don't mind telling?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:35 pm

screen_name wrote:
As a child, I was tested (a lot) and was said to have an eidetic memory. I no longer have this ability, but I always felt the things I saw were related to that. Both of those "abilities" faded with age. I could conjure up anything I wanted and literally see it and interact with it. (Consequently, I could also accurately draw anything I had ever seen with a high level of accuracy). I cannot do this anyone.

Now, I am not choosing to see things, but I have noticed that I can affect them...if that makes sense.

That makes sense.

Maybe what is happening, is you never really lost those abilities, but suppressed them or lost conscious control over them. And now they are reemerging spontaneously.

Lots of people take hallucinogenic drugs to be able to have those abilities. But when people take drugs, they set aside time and space to do it safely and maybe have someone to watch them.

Maybe you could set aside some time to explore this deliberately, rather than having it take over spontaneously.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This is my feeling:

As long as they don't affect you taking care of your kids--and your functioning and happiness in life--I don't personally see anything wrong with hallucinations. Perhaps they could be used productively in a creative way--like in art or writing.

I would work hard to make sure that these hallucinations do not affect your overall functioning.

But I think you have an inner strength, and will prevail in that endeavor.

I don't believe they are part and parcel of autism--but it's possible there could be a co-morbidity involving hallucinations.

^I agree with this.

screen_name wrote:
I'm trying to *not* think if the creative (or other) potential use for now, as I am trying to focus on being functional as a parent.

Understood. But developing a conscious, creative use of it might be the very thing that tames it, so you can focus on being functional.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:54 pm

WelcomeToHolland, my most frequent hallucination is my children. I will realize that they are actually somewhere else. Because of the potential for catastrophe there, I treat all living things I hallucinate as if they are real. I'd rather look like an idiot helping an imaginary child than put one of mine in danger.

But, I see, hear, feel, and smell all sorts of things. I've seen fairies, a wolf, and a cartoon ghost this week. They vary pretty wildly. The ones of my children are most real. Sometimes I feel as though I am outside of myself viewing from above.

I am lucky to be an extremely trusting person by nature.

Recently, someone told me there was a spider on my back. I let the spider crawl around to the front so my kids could see it. Eventually, the spider started trying to climb into my hair. I calmly lowered my hair so and gently nudged the spider on the ground. This is the type of co-existence I am trying to have with my images.

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2014, 7:56 pm

I am very visual sensory seeking I always wanted to have a hallucination ever since 6th grade!

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:07 pm

Lindsey, try a sensory isolation tank.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:08 pm

What is visual sensory seeking like?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:09 pm

What you described, Screen Name, is something I wish I could do for all living beings.

Being gentle, while assuring its survival. And ensuring that it never loses its autonomy vis-à-vis other living beings.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2014, 8:14 pm

well you should probably tell your doctor or something, if it happens so much. it might be indicative of something larger, even if they themselves don't really bother you. it would be good to just make sure.

myself, whenever i tell a therapist they seem very dismissive. i'm not sure why. they have told me it's because of stress but i have hallucinated when i'm not under any specific stress...sometimes it's visual but more often than not it is auditory. i think that's the right word. when i go see a therapist again for possible diagnoses i will possibly bring this up, but not sure. i hope yours doesnt cause you too much stress. i think people like to romanticize this sort of thing.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:39 pm

unit_00 wrote:
well you should probably tell your doctor or something, if it happens so much. it might be indicative of something larger, even if they themselves don't really bother you. it would be good to just make sure.

myself, whenever i tell a therapist they seem very dismissive. i'm not sure why. they have told me it's because of stress but i have hallucinated when i'm not under any specific stress...sometimes it's visual but more often than not it is auditory. i think that's the right word. when i go see a therapist again for possible diagnoses i will possibly bring this up, but not sure. i hope yours doesnt cause you too much stress. i think people like to romanticize this sort of thing.

I have told my doctor. I'm on antipsychotics for it. They will probably get upped again next time.

Mine don't usually happen under stress, either. In fact, they most often occur when not much is happening.