Do you ever look in the mirror and not recognize yourself?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

DarkAscent wrote:
I do recognise myself but it takes a split second for me to do so. My face changes a little each time I look in the mirror.

Good description. That's how it is for me, too. I'm still "me", but a little different each time.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

Yes, every time I look in a mirror, which I tend to avoid.

Something about me just seems off in the reflection. The same applies to pictures.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm

I don't like how I look in pictures either (hence the "symbol" avatar). It took a while for people to finally understand that.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

analee
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

Oh, thank god, I thought I was the only one who didn't recognize themselves.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

Am I the only one who is drawn to their reflection? Not to change the subject, but I've just noticed people saying they avoid mirrors. For some reason when I see a mirror, I feel compelled to look at myself. I don't know why. It's not good when I'm driving and I keep getting distracted by the rearview mirror.

- Sherlock Holmes

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

I dunno about not recognizing myself but I'll look different to myself depending on how I feel at the moment. It's hard not to be self concious sometimes, sometimes something about yourself will catch your attention it and it'll stress you out and other times you'll think you look good.

wendila
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2015, 1:01 am

Finally, people who know what I'm talking about! I asked my therapist about this once and if it was simply a symptom, and she had no idea what I was talking about. Like, I'll look into a mirror or see a picture or video of me* and bee like, "Huh. That's how I look to other people." Not, "that's what I look like", but "that's how people see me". You guys seem to at least perceive yourself as a body, though. With me, I think the best way to put it would be the C. S. Lewis quote, "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." In my case, though, I don't see it as a religious statement, as the soul to me is the sense of self. I'm a half-decent artist. One time I drew a self-portrait. My boyfriend says it's uncanny. I think it just looks like some person, but with the nagging voice in my head going, "That's me, huh?" I guess to me, I almost see myself as faceless, because my face is never something I've seen for myself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 6:01 am

http://www.dana.org/News/Are_Face-Blind ... isorders_/

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 10:40 am

Like many people have reported, I also am surprised by how I "look a little different" each time that I look in the mirror, as though my features had subtly rearranged themselves in some indefinitely minor but jarringly noticeable manner. I wonder if part of this, though, has anything to do with my elaborate inner-fantasy world that occupies much of my mental space; in that world, my "self-insert" character/avatar is, well, an anthropomorphic, bipedal wolf with red eyes and white fur, which is obviously quite different from the image that I would see in a mirror.

Does anyone else who has an elaborate inner-fantasy world or who is prone to daydreaming have this dissonance between seeing the imaginary self in the mind's eyes and seeing the physical self that one sees in a mirror?

My opinion about the relative attractiveness of the image that I see in the mirror also shifts quite a bit, although I am under the impression that this is fairly normal. Sometimes, I'll look in the mirror and think, "Since when did I become a supermodel?!"; the same day, I can look at the same reflection at a later time and think, "Wow, I look hideous! Eeyuuk!" I think it depends on the lighting and the angle at which I am looking at myself. In general, I neither avoid nor am drawn to my reflection (although the doors to my bedroom closet are sliding doors whose entire outer faces are mirrors, so I am exposed to my reflection quite often).

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 11:04 am

i always recognize myself in the mirror. even when i turn the mirror upside down, i have no trouble telling who i am.

faxe_
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2016, 2:49 pm

I am so glad this thread exists. I have been trying to figure out exactly which of my psychological/neurological traits match a pattern of autism vs. indicate something else, and I have felt like my difficulty identifying with my reflection, recordings of me, etc. must be linked with my other autism symptoms, but I do not really see this described in medical literature. At most I see things about prosopagnosia, which this is not... I can recognize other people fine. Just not me. I also second the person who mentioned staring at themselves in the mirror a lot. On the one hand, if I'm having a bad day then mirrors make me really uncomfortable, but on the other hand, most of the time I find mirrors fascinating. It's like maybe if I stare at myself just long enough I will make the connection between the person I see and the person who's in my self-image.

Pronouns: I have some that I like, but right here I would rather nobody use any pronouns for me at all, if you can possibly avoid it.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2016, 3:36 pm

Q) Do you ever look in the mirror and not recognize yourself?

A) I avoid looking in mirrors, because I know for a fact that the person on the other side of the glass is not me.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.