Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FortySixInToo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2011, 5:23 pm

After reading the forums for awhile, I've seen that some people in this community are bothered by sensory overload. I'm not sure if this is just me, but throughout my life the sound of another person eating distracts me, to the point where I'm about to be sick or freak out if I can't get away from it.

For years now, Kit Kat has been using an advertising campaign where the "Give Me a Break" jingle is being "sung" by people crunching food in different notes. It makes me really anxious, specifically angry when I hear it, and if I can't get to the remote by the second crunch, I'm forced to put my hands up to my ears until it's over. They play the commercial alot where I'm from, and my life has honestly gone downhill a little bit because of its inception.

Anyone else bothered by another persons eating?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:28 pm

SO much, I am tortured by the eating noises of others. They are so loud. Crunch Slurp Smack Gulp. The smacking is the worst for me. I can't stand the sound of lips smacking against each other. It creates massive anxiety, and I can't eat with others because of this. It's one of the worst feelings in the world for me, and no one I know has any clue that these noises could possibly sound the way they do to me and make me end up melting melting down down down like the Wicked Witch of the West.

seekingtruth
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

My 6 year old Aspie son is. He likes to sit on the island while we sit at the table it bothers him so much. He says it's too loud for him to hear us eating and we have manners, it's not like we're smacking with mouths open, lol.

He also can't stand it if I'm sitting with my chin resting on my hand as my hand then covers some of my face, or if my mouth isn't closed or if I have my hair in a pony tail. frustrating.

I haven't seen him have a problem with that comercial, but many sounds bother the hell out of him.

You are very likely an Aspie

Last edited by seekingtruth on 22 Dec 2011, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a condition that's been discussed many times on these forums in which quiet and continuous noises like people chewing will drive you completely batshit. It was like a light going off in my head when I heard of it, because as much as loud noises make my daily life miserable, I would rather listen to a jackhammer than someone chewing food or rocking back and forth in a squeaky rocking chair. It causes pure rage.

EDIT: Found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

EDIT 2: Some past topics:

here

here

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:36 pm

My neighbors are obese, they live above me, have three children. They scream at them. They jump on the bed. They have fat people sex constantly. They bang and stomp all hours of the night. It drives me absolutely insane, I can hardly concentrate on anything sometimes. But I can't say anything because his mom is my landlord, it's not on a lease, and they haven't made me pay a pet deposit yet. But they're still idiots.

I've screamed at the top of my lungs through the roof at them.

Last edited by WhiteWidow on 22 Dec 2011, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2011, 5:37 pm

Actually, most noises do irritate me, though people smacking and dogs that bark endlessly are the worst. Until I found out I had AS, people told me I had grown old and crochety before my time.

What criticisms of my idiosyncracies did was to make me want to get as far away from other people as possible. So, I moved out to a very rural area where if I turn off all appliances, the only thing I hear is the blood rushing through my head. At first, the quiet was almost overwhelming, and everybody from the city who has been to my place has said the same.

I also became a librarian, which gives me a good reason to be a stickler about noise.

If it's the world's job to present people like us with problems, it's our job to find solutions.

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2011, 5:52 pm

I like Kit Kat commercials, maybe because i just really love Kit Kats. xD I get irritated by some noises, like vaccuums, a certain language were people yell at each other instead of talk normally. -_- But i've never been anoyed by the eating noises of others.

It's sort of the opposite, when i'm eating with others i'm always worried, sort of paranoid they can hear me make noises and they'll get annoyed. Like if i eat chips, i keep worrying they can hear the crunching. I try to eat as quietly as possible and watch myself. That's the only reason i don't like eating with others.

seekingtruth
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

I absolutely get so annoyed, then irritated and angry at the sound of a t.v. on unless I'm actually watching the show that's on.

And especially if I'm doing something and then someone turns on a t.v., I get so bitchy.

hate vacuums as well, always have, my son too, he gets so anxious when i vacuum that he runs around like a crazed animal while it's on.

You are very likely an Aspie

FortySixInToo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2011, 6:05 pm

Jory, thanks for that link, describes exactly what I've experienced.

Seekingtruth- that was me as a child, as far as the eating was concerned. My parents were understanding about it, like you are. I appreciated it immensely.

Whitewidow- I couldn't imagine having to listen to that. In fact I refuse to imagine having to listen to that. I've got a special kind of sympathy for you, brother :lol:

Everyone else, for the first time I don't feel like an alien. Thanks for relating to my problem. I will listen and do the same for you, because I really appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 6:11 pm

I hate the sound of other people eating, among many other sounds. I don't like that kit kat commercial either.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2011, 6:14 pm

WhiteWidow wrote:
My neighbors are obese, they live above me, have three children. They scream at them. They jump on the bed. They have fat people sex constantly. They bang and stomp all hours of the night. It drives me absolutely insane, I can hardly concentrate on anything sometimes. But I can't say anything because his mom is my landlord, it's not on a lease, and they haven't made me pay a pet deposit yet. But they're still idiots.

I've screamed at the top of my lungs through the roof at them.

Hahaha, i feel your pain. Reminds me of my neighbours. Apperantly our neighbours son is an aspie too. Him, his brother and their mom love screaming their lungs out and fighting like crazy in the middle of the night, banging on the walls, screaming like someone is getting murdered. I know at times the police had to comes over to pull them appart. Alot of drama. -_- I can't believe it, since i also live in a really nice area.

snpeden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2011, 6:19 pm

The Kit Kat commercial doesn't bother me as much as the commercials with doorbells. The sound itself drives me batty (I guess I associate it with uninvited people stopping by), and it always causes the (giant and loud) dog to bark for 2-3 minutes. For me, though, it took forever to figure out it was supposed to be a song.
"What's...oh. People eating Kit Kat. But why aren't they saying anything? Why are we watching them eat? How are we supposed to know it's a Kit Kat commercial?"
"um...the song?"

Last2Know
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

Oh wow, I had no idea there was an actual name for this (misophonia).

I also have extreme sensitivity to "mouth noises" and the worst part is my son who is 6 (also an aspie) stims with mouth noises. It's brutal! I have not seen the Kit Kat commercial.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2011, 7:22 pm

I dislike the sound of people eating and I HATE that Kit Kat commercial. I always put it on mute because I can't stand the crunching sound.

A few years ago, before I found out about AS, I was in treatment for Depression and an Eating Disorder. The worst part of my days were eating together. Everybody thought it was because of the food. It wasn't. I could have eaten the food with no problems. It was the fact that 50+ people were crammed into a room and forced to eat. Between the eating, chewing, swallowing, crying, tapping, cutting of food, clinking of dishes, and all that goes along with eating, as well as the fact that we were crammed in rows and often I was stuck in the middle with people pressing against me all the time, I couldn't stand it. Like I said, this was before the diagnosis of AS and everybody just thought I was anxious because of the food. I now realize it was social anxiety and I have since stopped eating out and stopped eating around people or having people eat around me, even at home.

There are also certain people and songs I can't listen to because they have awkward mouth noises.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2011, 8:48 pm

The Kit Kat commercial with the annoying crunching sound annoys and bothers me too. It actually angers me. As was mentioned earlier here, the sound of people eating bothers me too---things like slurping and smacking.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 9:17 pm

My parents nd several of my relatives are more bothered by it than I am.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html