Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

Last week I posted about having to farewell the ever faithful dog, who at 14 was unable to enjoy life anymore. At least I had the consolation of my cat - 16 years old - whom I love sooooo much.

Today I found him in a terrible state of extreme pain and he is at the vet where they think he has gone into total kidney failure. In 2 hours' time this will be confirmed or not from blood tests. He is at least now getting strong pain relief, they wouldn't let me stay at the vets. (Probably because I was upsetting them with tears rolling down my face).

The outlook is extremely bleak and I think I will have to have him put down later today. The loss of these two dearest creatures in one week is breaking my heart. I can't stop crying.

If you don't like animals please don't reply to this thread. Only if you love animals and can relate in some way to how it is. I' will cope somehow though understanding support would really comfort me on this terrible day of a terrible week.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 7:57 pm

I'm so sorry B19; both for the loss of your dog and for the uncertainty of your cat.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

I am so sorry that you are losing a creature you love while still in grief for another. It's cruel timing.

The only consolation that I have in such moments is the recognition that the pain of loss is the necessary companion to the joy of love. If you didn't care, it wouldn't hurt.

I hope the transition goes as peacefully and painlessly as can be for you both.

Take extra care of yourself in the next few weeks.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 8:38 pm

B19 wrote:
Last week I posted about having to farewell the ever faithful dog, who at 14 was unable to enjoy life anymore. At least I had the consolation of my cat - 16 years old - whom I love sooooo much.

Today I found him in a terrible state of extreme pain and he is at the vet where they think he has gone into total kidney failure. In 2 hours' time this will be confirmed or not from blood tests. He is at least now getting strong pain relief, they wouldn't let me stay at the vets. (Probably because I was upsetting them with tears rolling down my face).

The outlook is extremely bleak and I think I will have to have him put down later today. The loss of these two dearest creatures in one week is breaking my heart. I can't stop crying.

If you don't like animals please don't reply to this thread. Only if you love animals and can relate in some way to how it is. I' will cope somehow though understanding support would really comfort me on this terrible day of a terrible week.

:cry:

Please be with him to comfort him in his final moments here.
Also, please consider adopting/rescuing others so they can also experience a loving home and not die alone in a shelter.
They do not understand the process of death in the same way that we do, but they do experience confusion and stress from the pain, drugs, and also being in a foreign environment like the vets with strange people.
I would want them to experience as much comfort as possible and not sense my own upset.

By the way I have a wonderful older cat with chronic kidney failure who was diagnosed two years ago. It can sometimes be treated for several years, and so far she has been very steady and not needed anything drastic besides some diet changes & some meds. She is without a doubt the sweetest being that I have ever come across.
The thought of losing her is devastating, but I will not let her know this.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

B19, I know the pain of this. We lost our last cat of 16 years to kidney failure as well. It is so common for cats. I am so sorry you are going through this. If it can encourage you at all, I know that your dog and cat will be running around in heaven with mine.

But I know you are hurting so much right now. Here is a big hug. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

Tizerize
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2014, 8:44 pm

am sorry your friend is really ill ~ hope the pain relief lets them rest...and that your family are able to be there for you

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

So sorry... I know all too well that pain.

All I can say is be with him as much as you can, and afterwards allow yourself the time you need to grieve. Cherish the memories. Remember them both.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

I am so very sorry. I've never much been one for cats but they are family members. I've lost more than my share of family members in the last couple years. I will be praying for you and your cat.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:47 pm

B19 wrote:

I'm sorry.

I hope that his kidney failure is acute due to infection or something and not chronic/end-stage disease, and that your vet has the equipment and knowledge to treat it (i.e. dialysis) if that is the case. If you do lose him, I am even more sorry.

It's wrong they wouldn't let you stay with him. They would never do that to human family in a human hospital.

Love transcends all.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:56 pm

Just so sorry, B19. Losing a pet is so hard, I know. Take care of yourself too.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

I'm not an animal person in the sense of someone who'd ever want to own a pet, but that's hardly relevant. Most of us can understand suffering, which both you and your cat are clearly experiencing.

I'm sincerely sorry (in the this is something I wish wasn't occurring sense, not the personal apology sense) that you're now facing severe health issues with your cat so soon after losing another pet. I hope that if recovery is possible that it is speedy, if not I hope the end is as painless as possible for your poor cat. I wouldn't wish this suffering on anyone and I hope that you're emotionally able to handle the pain this is causing.

I'm lucky, my only pet is plush. :oops:

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

I am so sorry.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 10:40 pm

I'm sorry, B19, for the loss. and potential loss of your beloved pets.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 11:07 pm

please entertain the possibility of the rainbow bridge at which point you will be reunited with your pets. what can it hurt?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

04 Nov 2014, 11:58 pm

We're sorry to hear the news.

Sweet Pea hugs Image

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 3:11 am

Oh B19, I am sorry to read this, I didn?t see the post about your dog. For people that love animals long term companion creatures have a special place in our hearts, they gift to us simplicity without expectation, but although their lives are short they live in the moment and I imagine you gifted to them a fair and caring existence in return. (((hugs)))