Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nateman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2014, 5:56 am

I had a long and slow crash and burn over the course of years in to my recent adult diagnosis of Asperger's. It rapidly picked up in speed from the time of diagnosis as I try to come to turns with finally finding out why I always felt and acted different from most people. I feel like I've lost most of my ability to function. Has anyone gone through this? I can't be the only one. Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I'm really doubting it. Is there any way to recover from what has so far been a downward spiral? I'm really in need of help right now. Any similar experiences or any advice would be greatly appreciated.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 6:54 am

you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get on with the rest of your life as best you can. no other alternatives exist. I myself had to become a hermit. that was the only way I could avoid pissing people off, to just stay away from them. you may have better options.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2014, 11:10 am

Yeah, it's not uncommon. Do a search for Autistic burnout, or Autistic regression and you can find lots of information about it. Usually it's brought on by additional stress or significant life changes that make your existing coping mechanisms either poorly suited for your new situation, or too exhausting to maintain.