Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

I know this is your deal you first but over the years or year or so I've been on wp hey I sure would you think I'm autistic? And if so at what level. My grandmothers denial is really getting to me and I need some honest. opinions.

I am starting to doubt myself.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

Why is your username jenisautistic if you are not sure if you are or are not ?

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:13 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Why is your username jenisautistic if you are not sure if you are or are not ?

At the time I was surei guess :scratch:

MysterMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

I don't know you, but I know that labels are only worth as much as they mean to the people who use them.

?Today you are You, that is truer than True. There is no one alive who is youer than You.? - Doctor Seuss

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:30 pm

In honesty, I think only you can know that, and any professional you might see who has some knowledge of the diagnostic criteria.
It would be pretty difficult to say yay or nay based on online postings, though some have said I was a pretty obvious aspie in my past postings.
I suggest doing as much research as you can, reading a lot of posts here, and seeing how well you fit the scene, so to speak.
Either way, it is but a label and you should not place all emphasis on it.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm

Sometimes I wonder, too. I've only lived in my head. Who I am seems normal, so I'm unsure at times why a label would be appropriate.

As far as your grandmother, you haven't described her as a person who listens much to opinions that are different from hers. If that's true, then probably her opinion about whether you have autism is just her being opinionated and not about you.

You seem like all the rest of us here. And I appreciate your point of view! Someone just posted this, I don't know how good it is. Maybe it gives you an idea about level.
http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Different_Levels_of_Autism

MysterMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2014, 10:47 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
Sometimes I wonder, too. I've only lived in my head. Who I am seems normal, so I'm unsure at times why a label would be appropriate.

This is pretty much my source of uncertainty on the issue as well. Self-reflection and analysis is very difficult when you have nothing as a basis for comparison but your own experience.

?Today you are You, that is truer than True. There is no one alive who is youer than You.? - Doctor Seuss

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 11:03 pm

Waterfalls wrote:

As far as your grandmother, you haven't described her as a person who listens much to opinions that are different from hers. If that's true, then probably her opinion about whether you have autism is just her being opinionated and not about you.

You seem like all the rest of us here. And I appreciate your point of view! Someone just posted this, I don't know how good it is. Maybe it gives you an idea about level.
http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Different_Levels_of_Autism

Sometimes I think what's the point am I even disabled? Maybe I am just exaggerating or subconsciously faking? Maybe I'm just too scared of being normal or I want to be disabled .

Honestly I rather be like my friends in northeast them be like regular or aspie kids like I used to be before being kicked out by the denial now I feel like Jenny McCarthy or a certain use your i had problems with in the past and I want it to stop. I want to be back to my old self.

I have no idea how to be "normal"' and either delusion has driven me to be.

I cannot qualify for Opwdd And now they have to label me as Mentally I'll to get any helpm which is not working either.

Sometimes I feel like that guy from the ringer

MysterMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
Sometimes I think what's the point am I even disabled? Maybe I am just exaggerating or subconsciously faking? Maybe I'm just too scared of being normal or I want to be disabled .

I don't know if it helps in any way, but I have also thought / felt all of those things.

jenisautistic wrote:
Honestly I rather be like my friends in northeast them be like regular or aspie kids like I used to be before being kicked out by the denial now I feel like Jenny McCarthy or a certain use your i had problems with in the past and I want it to stop. I want to be back to my old self.

This is all new to me, but it seems to me that there's no "new self" or "old self", just "self" and varying degrees and types of awareness thereof.

jenisautistic wrote:
I have no idea how to be "normal".

Me neither, and not much interest either, to be honest. Also, it seems to me that there is no such thing as "normal" or "abnormal", just varying degrees and types of relative difference.

[/quote]

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 11:27 pm

You'll get back to yourself. Has it just been a short time since you got out of the hospital? Maybe you just need more time?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 1:15 am

No one will tell me how autistic I am irl. Just "She must be high-functioning".

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 1:31 pm

jenisautistic,
Not long after being diagnosed before, my mom thought "It's only mild autism and
you're still doing okay at school" Me: :(
How mild is "mild"?? What hurt most is ignorance...
My autism was completely misunderstood and ignored at schools.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 1:25 am

That's interesting. From reading your previous posts in the time that I've been here, I always got the impression that you were closer to classic autistic than aspie. What has suddenly made you start doubting?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

MsAnon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2014, 1:31 am

MysterMe wrote:
I don't know you, but I know that labels are only worth as much as they mean to the people who use them.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I've often questioned my diagnosis as well. Mainly because I'm only mildly affected by autism. It makes me wonder if i even have to begin with. I remember my parents saying one time that the reason I was diagnosed was so that I'd get better services growing up. I do pretty well with socializing, but there are times when I don't catch social cues. Such say... you ask me how I am, and I say I'm doing good. I miss the social cue of asking the person the same thing back. My social skills are there, but they are often very random and awkward at times.

As for sensory issues, I only don't like loud noises. I've never had a sensory overload in my whole entire life. Sure, I've come close to having them, but I was able to control them. I do have extremely severe meltdowns though, which aren't really normal for my age because they can be very tantrumish. I do get angry or frustrated easily by almost everything I do. I have outbursts that result in screaming, throwing things or knocking things over... even slamming doors too.

So, it's really hard to say. D:

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 1:50 pm

MysterMe wrote:

I have thought of this before :mrgreen: