Concrete think and lack of imagination?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

HimekoShirayuki
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2014, 12:44 pm

I have diagnosed with AS, but when I read articles about how autistic people think, especially of Temple Grandin, I did not identify myself. I have enough creativity and despite having some difficulty, CAN identify my own emotions (I have difficulty understanding those of others) and the "emotions" of fictional characters. I have a little trouble with think "verbally", but i can that. I think in ideas and data, not sensations (Except sound, musics tend to repeat in my head every time)... I'm not autistic because that? And why you think (Talk of YOU, not what researchers and famous autistic people says)?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm

You're not alone in feeling that way. I can't relate to the way Temple Grandin think at all and I'm still autistic.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm

I would not put much thought into it. I've never related to much of anything somebody on the spectrum in the public eye has said. Sometimes it's annoying because there is a lot of "Autistics do this and we are this", but then I'm left sitting there scratching my head thinking "Well, I am not like that and do not do that."

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2014, 1:47 pm

HimekoShirayuki wrote:
I have diagnosed with AS, but when I read articles about how autistic people think, especially of Temple Grandin, I did not identify myself. I have enough creativity and despite having some difficulty, CAN identify my own emotions (I have difficulty understanding those of others) and the "emotions" of fictional characters. I have a little trouble with think "verbally", but i can that. I think in ideas and data, not sensations (Except sound, musics tend to repeat in my head every time)... I'm not autistic because that? And why you think (Talk of YOU, not what researchers and famous autistic people says)?

Often times I live more in my imagination than in the real world. I think it depends on personality. Some with autism are extremely into logic. But not all. I often feel tv and movies are more real to me than real life.

HimekoShirayuki
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2014, 6:11 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
HimekoShirayuki wrote:

Often times I live more in my imagination than in the real world. I think it depends on personality. Some with autism are extremely into logic. But not all. I often feel tv and movies are more real to me than real life.

I and the 3 aspies I meet (2 of my family) too! I sometimes feel "detached" of the real world, "lost" in my thinks! :)

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 7:31 am

I can't relate much with Temple Grandin because on one end of the coin it appears that I've adjusted easier than her to the social world, and on the other end of the coin three of my five main senses are impaired (sight, hearing, and smell) so I don't see things in pictures, far from it. I don't think along the lines of things I've heard either, I have trouble remembering things verbatim and often can't recall very well things that I say myself. When you have three of your senses impaired from a young age I am sure your brain develops differently and it is probably why I am this way. Abstract ideas sometimes feel more real to me than sensory impressions.

If I read something in a book I'll probably never forget it but if you tell me to pick up something at the grocery store later today I'm liable to forget it and must set an alarm or something, because when people say anything to me I usually have to piece together what they said from the half to three quarters I could make out (if they at least speak up and make sure to be articulate) and I can only manage to understand what it is that they said before they are already saying something else. As you can imagine that makes it difficult to give each thing someone says as much thought as it requires. When I have something to read my senses aren't in the way and I can cover material very fast. It often perplexes people, my clients in particular, that I could have trouble retaining what people say yet I can go through someone's taxes and figure everything out in half the time it takes even other accountants and tax preparers that are good.

It strikes me as pretty strange that these public figures want to put their thumb on autism and say "autistic people are like this" when such a significant portion of us have comorbids. I have encephalitus and impaired senses so I could hardly imagine myself meeting someone on the spectrum who is the same as me. In fact in some ways it appears that I am practically the opposite of others on the spectrum. For example there's the people with ASD who have ADD or ADHD. I can't relate with that at all because encephalitus involves prolonged periods of concentration where you basically forget anything else exists and if you don't stop soon enough your brain starts to warm up and swell.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 7:51 am

i think in a way that is impervious to influence a lot of the time. i have little malleability in my preconceptions, and always my thoughts play out in an uninterrupted line from where they originated.
when i think, it is like i am falling along a predetermined path that was set out before me by the universe, and there is no possibility of deviance for any reason from my comfortable acceptance of the course of my notions.

other people have their own ideas, and they live in their own heads which are not my head, and so i have never tried to account for taste.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 8:36 am

I have both concrete thinking AND creativity in my case.

I lived in an imaginary world more than in real life too... In real life, I'm very much of an observer than a participant (and it's SO boringgggg if not confusing.). Sometimes I end up talking to myself because of this!! ! :lol: Sometimes I know what I feel, sometimes I don't (like myself sensing discomfort instead of pain of bleeding from a cut). Regardless, I will always keep my rational side in check, and active as much as possible whenever I'm not in my own imaginary world; or alone.
As I might try some programming in the future, I might try recreate this imaginary world of mine into.. somewhere else IF I learn it someday. :twisted: And not just on paper or my mind otherwise I hope...
I can convert words into pictures and easily visualize in 3d and manipulate these visuals even to the impossible angles, but not pictures into words. I can't draw my visualized images on paper (or maybe because I'm not ready to practice or be an expert on the mediums? It was my obsession once, until the 3rd grade. Yet, it's easier for me to drawn in CADs; heck I like CADs). Reading and writing is easier for me, but not speaking.
And so to say, my own case isn't onto extremes.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.