19 Mar 2014, 10:11 pm

My NT mom does this.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 10:34 pm

Me very often

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 11:23 pm

Yep.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm

I don't chew plastic but I smell things and lick things. Usually in stores. Not food things. Clothes sometimes, shoes, could be anything random I am passing by. I have put my finger in substances on floors and put on my tongue to evaluate, then spit. I know. It's creepy. I try not to let people see me. I also pick things up from parking lots and sidewalks, inspect them and sometimes take home with me. Like rubber bands, hair bands, just oddities, but usually something I could find useful.

MJJost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2014, 11:51 pm

On occasion, I'll chew on the end of a drinking straw. However, I don't know if I do it often enough to count it as a habit...

EQ Test: 59
Alexithymia: 134

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 11:52 pm

Only pencils not plastic

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 12:00 am

I used to chew on pens, pen caps, and bottle caps all the time. Back when I was in school, I was notoriously bad for chewing on my pencils, until one of my teachers informed me of how the wood used in pencils was treated with lead. I don't really chew on stuff as much anymore, though I probably would if I weren't so concerned about getting saliva on things and spreading around the colds and such I often contract working as a cashier.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:39 am

Sometimes, but it's usually something like a straw. I think NT's do that too though, like you see in quit-smoking adverts on TV.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:17 pm

I used to do this a lot. When I was very young, I had these PVC figurines of different Disney characters, like Pooh, Pinocchio, the Seven Dwarfs, etc. and I'd chew on them all the time. I liked the texture and the feeling on my teeth as I chewed on them. I also had a small, red rubber dinosaur I chewed on too. As I got older, I chewed on pencil erasers and pen caps all the time, as well. No one ever let me borrow their pens or pencils back then. :lol: In retrospect, I might have benefited from having some of the "Chewelry" they make for sensory purposes these days. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:38 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I used to chew on pens, pen caps, and bottle caps all the time. Back when I was in school, I was notoriously bad for chewing on my pencils, until one of my teachers informed me of how the wood used in pencils was treated with lead. I don't really chew on stuff as much anymore, though I probably would if I weren't so concerned about getting saliva on things and spreading around the colds and such I often contract working as a cashier.

Most pencils are made with graphite, not lead. I was told this in the second grade when another kid stabbed me with a pencil in the arm and said I was going to die of lead poisoning. Sill, consuming a large amount of graphite is probably not such a great thing.

I don't chew on plastic but interestingly I know an autistic girl who can't stand to touch plastic.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 11:29 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Most pencils are made with graphite, not lead. I was told this in the second grade when another kid stabbed me with a pencil in the arm and said I was going to die of lead poisoning. Sill, consuming a large amount of graphite is probably not such a great thing.

I don't chew on plastic but interestingly I know an autistic girl who can't stand to touch plastic.

I knew full well that the actual pencil "lead" was made of graphite, but I just believed that the reason why the wood was so soft (and thus easy to sharpen and chew on :P) was due to treatment with actual lead metal.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 3:04 pm

Gnawed on pens for years as a kid. Took a herculean effort on the part of my parents to get me to stop. I'm sure if I even tried it a bit I'd fall right back into the habit. 8O

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 3:31 pm

Yes and it was one hard habit to break.

SecretSoul
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Mar 2014, 12:18 am

I chew on things all the time! Pens, Pencils, Erasers, Aluminum foil, pen caps, straws, hard and soft plastic linings... et al.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2014, 5:49 am

I'm chewing on plastic right now. I have a history of chewing.. Started with t-shirts when I was little, then I would always have my finger in my mouth.. nowadays i'm chewing on my iphone case, bottlecaps, fingernails, glasses, and i'm sure more I don't even notice haha.