Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The buzz word these days in these type of groups is not cure but "recovering" their autistic children. As backword as your diagnostician is at least giving you credit for your effort, with these groups it is some sort of diet or treatment that they discovered despite some vast conspiracy to prevent them from finding out.

I try to eat healthy and enjoy certain supplements in my regimen, and I recognize that such autistic-recovery diets might do some good. But, I recognize that AS and other ASDs are neurological, and, therefore, are very difficult, if not impossible, to repair, cure, recover, whatever. Improvement, maybe yes. But, not reconfigure. Not in my opinion, at least.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

One of the key life skills to acquire is distinguishing reason from the crazy s***.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

Some parents want their specific children's behaviors to represent all of autism spectrum and consider poop-smearing to be fundamental trait of autism.
Some autistic people want their own specific behaviors to represent all of autism spectrum and consider being bullied to be fundamental trait of autism.
Both are wrong and doing the same kind of wrong thing.
As currently defined, autism is just set of clinically observed behaviors with few solid links to cognition and brain function.
In future, autistic behaviors will be quantified without major bias of subjective observation, and there be more links between behavior and brain.
Autism will fragment into subtypes that are different from each other when you combine behavioral + brain measures.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 12:40 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
One of the key life skills to acquire is distinguishing reason from the crazy s***.

With the U.S. government admitting the kinds of "crazy s***" that it has done and (usually) still does (like the Tuskegee syphilis experiment, 1932-1972; the Business Plot, 1933; the OSS Operation Paperclip, 1945; the Guatemala syphilis experiment, 1946-1948; the NATO Operation Gladio, late 1940s to 1950s; the CIA Operation Ajax, 1951; the CIA Project MK-ULTRA, 1950s to 1970s; the CIA Operation Mockingbird, 1950s to 1970s; the Joint Chiefs of Staff Operation Northwoods, 1962; the DOD Gulf of Tonkin incident, 1964; the FBI COINTELPRO programs, late 1960s; the Watergate scandal, 1972-1974; the FBI and CIA assassinations, disclosed in 1975; the CIA and DEA Drug Running in Los Angeles, early 1980s; the Reagan Iran-Contra Affair, 1985-1986; the CIA Drug Smuggling in Arkansas, 1987; the first Gulf War Testimony of Nayirah, 1990 ... and my personal favorite: "Wikipedia.org: Unethical human experimentation in the United States" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical ... ted_States which include numerous experiments performed on human test subjects in the United States that have been considered unethical, and were often performed illegally, without the knowledge, consent, or informed consent of the test subjects), there is very little about that I doubt.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 3:07 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Toy_Soldier wrote:

With the U.S. government admitting the kinds of "crazy s***" that it has done and (usually) still does (like the Tuskegee syphilis experiment, 1932-1972; the Business Plot, 1933; the OSS Operation Paperclip, 1945; the Guatemala syphilis experiment, 1946-1948; the NATO Operation Gladio, late 1940s to 1950s; the CIA Operation Ajax, 1951; the CIA Project MK-ULTRA, 1950s to 1970s; the CIA Operation Mockingbird, 1950s to 1970s; the Joint Chiefs of Staff Operation Northwoods, 1962; the DOD Gulf of Tonkin incident, 1964; the FBI COINTELPRO programs, late 1960s; the Watergate scandal, 1972-1974; the FBI and CIA assassinations, disclosed in 1975; the CIA and DEA Drug Running in Los Angeles, early 1980s; the Reagan Iran-Contra Affair, 1985-1986; the CIA Drug Smuggling in Arkansas, 1987; the first Gulf War Testimony of Nayirah, 1990 ... and my personal favorite: "Wikipedia.org: Unethical human experimentation in the United States" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical ... ted_States which include numerous experiments performed on human test subjects in the United States that have been considered unethical, and were often performed illegally, without the knowledge, consent, or informed consent of the test subjects), there is very little about that I doubt.

Was aware of those, but not sure what that has to do with the subject article.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 5:25 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:

Some might consider those facts "crazy s***," too.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 8:50 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Toy_Soldier wrote:

Some might consider those facts "crazy s***," too.

No, crazy is when you believe something that has been disproven, such as vaccines causing autism. Crazy is believing all autism is caused by some undetermined environmental factor. That has never been true, since we have long known other causes. Environmental causes might cause a certain percentage. Crazy is denying scientific evidence in favor of your own pet theories. Its staying on the bandwagon after the horses pulling it long died.

Still don't see what your government stuff has to do with original article. Unless you are saying that the Website that wrote the article isn't crazy and vaccines really do cause autism, while somehow it is also all caused by environmental factors? Oh, and that it is curable in children too.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:42 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Some parents want their specific children's behaviors to represent all of autism spectrum and consider poop-smearing to be fundamental trait of autism.

A bit off topic but since when did poop smearing become pathologized? I did it a few times when very young not because I am autistic because it was kind of naughty. Kids are fascinated with farts, poops etc. Have these esteemed psychs ever been a boys or even a men's locker room?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 1:31 am

May I return to the OP's original titular question...

Earlier in the thread, I wrote that if this was the worst article ever, we would be much further along the road to acceptance than we are.
I have since read John Robison's comments, (posted at the top of the forums here) and I agree with him.

There seem to me two ways, broadly speaking, to respond to articles like the Seinfeld one:

1) Declaim it as wrong, terrible, worst ever, how dare they, I am outraged etc

or

2) Consider how such an article can be used to our advantage eg to get accurate information out there using Seinfeld as a stepping stone..

The first option tends to widen the gap between the misunderstanding ones and us and stops communication.
The second option necessitates utilising a political strategy. Do we want to build walls or bridges? Or nothing at all?

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2014, 11:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
MadHatterMatador wrote:
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
I watched Modern Family the other day (it's a sitcom for those who aren't familiar) and at one point at a college tour, this geeky teenage boy says to Alex (geeky female character), "I have Asperger's"...then "I actually don't. I just said that so you'd think I was interesting". (Episode was called "Don't Push"). I think that comment says something about society on multiple levels, in terms of people not taking it seriously..and it kinda sorta reminded me of this in a way......... take from that what you will.

Yeah, that annoyed me. That might be how a girl might perceive Aspergers by the title, but it's certainly not how they perceive the actual syndrome when they see it face to face. And it also annoyed me that he said "a touch of Aspergers." If you have a "touch" of any disorder, you're not going to get diagnosed.

The comment says that there are a load of people that think that way about people identity as Aspie. I do not have to watch Modern Family to see that. There was a period of time here that thankfully ended recently where posters day after day said the that saying they disowned the Aspie/Asperger label because were loads of people labeling themselves Aspie to be cool, make excuses, or not be associated with LFA. It was awful.

Yeah, you should probably watch it.

AQ: 46

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

dianthus wrote:
From the article:

That reminds me... do you remember that hilarious episode where Jerry walked around his apartment on his tiptoes while flapping, wiped his poop on the wall, got lost for three days in Manhattan, was tortured by bullies and then had a seizure? Me neither.

It's just plain ridiculous for the author to suggest that "actual autism" has to be like that for everyone.

Yes! This gets me so angry all the time because it kind of dismisses the people that are able to function in society, but still have problems. This article kind of puts us all into one big "weird" category and then when we (or at least I) tell people what we are, they don't believe us because "Wow! You can talk????"

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm

The thing I keep thinking when I read stuff like this is:
How is this supposed to make your kid feel?
Can you be certain that they will never be aware of what you have said about the hell of living with them? And Are you certain you are ready to hear what their response is going to be, if they should have the ability to communicate with you later?

I've read a lot of thoughts expressed by people who supposedly had no language.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:56 am

MadHatterMatador wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
MadHatterMatador wrote:
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
I watched Modern Family the other day (it's a sitcom for those who aren't familiar) and at one point at a college tour, this geeky teenage boy says to Alex (geeky female character), "I have Asperger's"...then "I actually don't. I just said that so you'd think I was interesting". (Episode was called "Don't Push"). I think that comment says something about society on multiple levels, in terms of people not taking it seriously..and it kinda sorta reminded me of this in a way......... take from that what you will.

Yeah, that annoyed me. That might be how a girl might perceive Aspergers by the title, but it's certainly not how they perceive the actual syndrome when they see it face to face. And it also annoyed me that he said "a touch of Aspergers." If you have a "touch" of any disorder, you're not going to get diagnosed.

The comment says that there are a load of people that think that way about people identity as Aspie. I do not have to watch Modern Family to see that. There was a period of time here that thankfully ended recently where posters day after day said the that saying they disowned the Aspie/Asperger label because were loads of people labeling themselves Aspie to be cool, make excuses, or not be associated with LFA. It was awful.

Yeah, you should probably watch it.

I will keep that in mind for a future day when I am feeling masochistic

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2014, 7:57 am

If you support neurodiversity, autistic pride or the positive, geeky, quirky and intellectually pragmatic aspects of autism, you will not like the Age of Autism blog one bit.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

To get some perspective on the "worst article ever!" - just try reading this.

NB: Vomit warning, have your bucket ready...

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Asperger's_Syndrome