Page 5 of 9 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:49 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't feel that I fit in on WP. I feel that I'm very different from most people here and I also don't feel that some of the members accept me as I am. There have been times that I was starting to feel comfortable and open up that a bunch of members would attack one of my main special interests in the section that I post in the most. Seeing those threads bump repeatedly to the top of the page have made me wonder when the nightmare was going to end. I guess I'm a misfit, no matter where I am. It makes me wonder if Ray Davies wrote the song, 'Misfits' for all the Kinks Fans who feel that they are overpopulated by people who enjoy music that's more popular. I'm the only Olympic nut here as well. I also feel that it's better for me to be myself than it is to force myself to enjoy and live in the present, but there were members who have tried to convince me otherwise.

The thing that keeps drawing me back are the members who do understand me and my desire to support and help others when I can. I also feel a sense of community at times.

I don't say much as I don't have a lot to say about the Kinks. Haven't listened to them a lot but maybe if I did I'd love them. Still I like to read your posts. I like that you're different. Not sure how different I'm considered but based on things people say I know there are very few people like me. Being around other unique people like yourself makes me feel happy.

Also it's very probable that others enjoy your posts but maybe don't know what to say either. A lot of people hate being a threadkiller or worry about saying the wrong thing somehow.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:51 pm

B19 wrote:
Sarcasm is a sense of humor, but when it's used to make some else feel bad intentionally, the only person laughing is the person using the sarcasm (and anyone else on their "side"). Much humor in general, on a basic level, is just making fun of someone else or a group of people. Paradoy. Like on Saturday Night Live. But if you're having a discussion, it's better to try to not make others feel bad. Unless you want to make enemies. I notice people say so many things through social media that they would never say to someone's face in public. If we're trying to better ourselves and make life easier to cope with, I think it's better to try and be sociable to some extent. It may not feel natural, but it's an exercise in leading a more pleasant life. People tend to give back what is given to them. So if you belittle them, don't expect them to treat you well either.

Well, yeah; humour can be cruel. There's a dark side to being human, and I don't just mean the blatantly sick stuff, like serial killers. I mean normal, everyday stuff as well, such as the sheer glee of putting an 'inferior' or disliked person down. It's there and, imo, it's as real a part of the human experience as the constantly-vaunted positive crap is.

Humour can be good or bad. No point in applying a blanket ban to it, because it can be misused by thick or malicious people.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

Not really, but I don't think that's really a thing here, from what I've seen. One forum I used to post on had a very cultish vibe to it, which I didn't like. This is a much better vibe.

AQ: 46

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:58 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't feel that I fit in on WP. I feel that I'm very different from most people here and I also don't feel that some of the members accept me as I am. There have been times that I was starting to feel comfortable and open up that a bunch of members would attack one of my main special interests in the section that I post in the most. Seeing those threads bump repeatedly to the top of the page have made me wonder when the nightmare was going to end. I guess I'm a misfit, no matter where I am. It makes me wonder if Ray Davies wrote the song, 'Misfits' for all the Kinks Fans who feel that they are overpopulated by people who enjoy music that's more popular. I'm the only Olympic nut here as well. I also feel that it's better for me to be myself than it is to force myself to enjoy and live in the present, but there were members who have tried to convince me otherwise.

The thing that keeps drawing me back are the members who do understand me and my desire to support and help others when I can. I also feel a sense of community at times.

I saw a new show that has opened in London, about the Kinks, full of their songs, the other evening. It is called 'Sunny Afternoon' and I knew and loved all the songs. It was brilliant.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 10:04 pm

Yeah, The Kinks are good.

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2014, 11:44 pm

I feel like I fit in on wrong planet most of the time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 12:30 am

I feel more of a sense of belonging even after reading the last few replies. You're all such Sweet Peas. :P

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:54 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
...I also feel that it's better for me to be myself than it is to force myself to enjoy and live in the present, but there were members who have tried to convince me otherwise.

This. A buncha lotta this.
I think it is really important to develop a good sense of who you are [like I indicated in my first post] but it took me a while to realize just how valuable that was to me- as I got older and older it became clear that very few people really value anyone having a solid sense of self or what they think, and then being comfortable to stick with that. more often you are outcast- not specifically because you disagree, but because you have the gall to feel comfortable in the fact that your point of view does not align.

Though, that doesn't make me comfortable with everyone else. Ha.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Nov 2014, 1:59 am

There are a lot of people here that I relate to and feel I have similar struggles, beliefs, and life experiences with so in that way I feel I fit in. On the other hand, I'm not sure anybody feels that way about me or would care if I just disappeared one day even tho I've been here a long time but I feel that way in real life too. I guess it's impossible to know what other people think of you if they even do at all especially here on the internet. You get what you put into it I guess, I'm a pretty impersonal and guarded person so I can't really expect anything different. As I've gotten older, it seems like making friends even on the internet has gotten harder.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:06 am

I feel like I fit in here better than any other forum I used.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2014, 2:14 am

Yes, me too. And I have had some very good experiences here that I will always remember, particularly recently. When I needed and asked for support, it was given in spades :lol:

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2014, 2:17 am

I don't fit in anything, even here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 9:06 am

What's wrong with being obsessed with the Kinks anyway? They were a great pop/rock group who were able to go beyond pop/rock's clichéd lyrics, yet still create good pop/rock music.

It's better than being obsessed with some screwed-up ideology!

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:05 am

No, I do not fit in here. I do not have anything in common with 95% of people here. I do not get 95% of the games people play here in the game, role playing, count to this from that, list this or that, blah, blah, blah. Nothing entertaining in any of that stuff. This is more a place for people between the ages of 14-35 for the most part only see maybe 5 people here that I can relate to. That may be my own fault because how I express myself maybe alienates people but, oh well.

But this is a place to blow some time in the middle of the night even though most of what goes on relates to people who are much younger than me.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

khaoz wrote:
No, I do not fit in here. I do not have anything in common with 95% of people here. I do not get 95% of the games people play here in the game, role playing, count to this from that, list this or that, blah, blah, blah.

It seems like people are referring to those kinds of threads/that area of the board as a huge part of the forum, but I have responded to maybe two that were asking specific questions and were more "getting to know you" deals. I don't feel I've missed out on any part of the board.

Am I missing out on a large part of the users or is this a huge focus of the board- not necessarily in activity but in actual focus. Like do a lot of members only go to this area?

I signed up in May but I still have no idea what is going on half the time ha.