Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

Considering my present situation (See The Haven) this is getting exteremely ahead of myself , but...
It seems that , as far as :cry: my ambition of going back to full-fleged college/university - and , yes , the likelihood that I'd have to " prove myself " by going to community college/junior college first - But , from something I have read , it appears that , once you go to a community college in one state of the U.S. , you can ONLY tranfer credits from that C/C. to instutions in that state , not the 49+ otheres ???
WTF ??? (I am very rushed now - and it may snow soon , and all the footwear I have are Chaco sandals , but anyhow...) .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

When did you last go to college?

I would call the community college, and asked what you asked here. See what they say.

If you haven't gone in 20 years or so, I don't believe credits taken that long ago are able to be transferred, anyway.

At community college, they will give you a test to assess your English and math skills. If you pass both, you don't have to take remedial courses for no credit. You could go right into credit-accumulating courses.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:53 pm

...Thank you , I am near total out of time now , you know my situation?? - Frankly , having the "
full " college experience , the " four-year , BA=-granting , sleepaway college " experience that I never got to have at the " standard ' age , or even a little after ~ is a teardream of mine . I see it as the only door/rite of passage to a poist-homeless world for me .
But , my test/etc. records are lost , and (never mind my far worse immediate situation) have gotten NO HELP ! :cry:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:57 pm

I know it's a pain in the butt--but just take the tests again. Online, you could take a "sample" test and see we're you're at in math and English.

Did you go to community college in California? If you remember where you went, you could just call them. The usually charge like $5 to $15 to release your transcripts. You have to have ID. Maybe there's a way you could fax them the ID, or scan it and email it to them. This is especially true if you don't owe them money. If you owe them money, you could forget all this until you pay them what you owe.

If you have transcripts that reveal that you have some recent credits, it's quite possible that you wouldn't have to take those tests.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 6:58 pm

Regarding transferring credits, I think it depends on the college you got them from. My sister is in high school and looking into colleges right now; she's considering a community college in Nebraska that transfers its credits to almost all four-year colleges in the surrounding states. Perhaps yours is similar. Good luck, I hope things work out for you!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:20 pm

ASS-P wrote:
Considering my present situation (See The Haven) this is getting exteremely ahead of myself , but...
It seems that , as far as :cry: my ambition of going back to full-fleged college/university - and , yes , the likelihood that I'd have to " prove myself " by going to community college/junior college first - But , from something I have read , it appears that , once you go to a community college in one state of the U.S. , you can ONLY tranfer credits from that C/C. to instutions in that state , not the 49+ otheres ???
WTF ??? (I am very rushed now - and it may snow soon , and all the footwear I have are Chaco sandals , but anyhow...) .

will this be your first time getting a college degree OP or do you have other degrees?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 6:21 pm

...It is all very obscfure and distant from me and I know NO WAY ! :cry: of approaching it :( ...........

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 6:42 pm

College prep study guides used to be at my local library, but are, now, theoretically, online. The material might look totally foreign, or it might be a breeze, depending on where you need to focus.

I have found that my personal comfort levels and living situation do heavily affect my testing and, thinking of my own difficulties, would like to see you very relaxed, first, if humanly possible.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

times like this really make me miss my childhood, especially elementary school years