Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2014, 2:31 pm

Mental health so-called professionals & social workers who deal with autism thought I communicated too well verbally & seemed too intelligent to have anything on the spectrum which is wrong because Aspies tend to be smarter & have a good vocabulary but are just direct & blunt with communication which I am.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

dorque
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2014, 4:31 pm

I am seeking answers because I feel like I really relate to Aspergers but when I ask people close to me if they think I could be, they just laugh at me. Though people that don't know me as well say, "probably." Though I don't want to get carried away and mock people that do struggle with it just because I'm trying to understand my own, unique struggle.

It makes me mad when people compare others to a stereotype. Where do they get their expert information from? How many professionals have they talked to about it? How many books have they read on the subject. Then again, there I am again assuming that "normal" people have no idea what they are talking about.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 12:50 am

On my other forums people say I don't seem autistic. They don't say that like they don't believe I am. Just that I come across really well to them.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 5:49 am

I don't, but I don't disclose my autism. I think if people aren't directly exposed to it, they either assume autistic people are completely non-verbal, so I'm always assumed to just "be weird" instead of autistic.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

Callista wrote:
It is like saying, "You've learned to read, so you're not dyslexic," when the dyslexic person still has to work very hard to read.

WOW, that's probably the best analogy, EVER!!

I haven't divulged that I'm autistic to that many people----but, every single person has reacted the same as others have said: "Really, you don't seem autistic". I keep, with me, several copies of an article about Temple Grandin. If I feel the person is worth my time, I give them one. Now, if Callista doesn't mind, I'm gonna give them that analogy.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:28 pm

I told a good friend, who has known me for more than a decade, that I think I was on the spectrum. His first reaction wasn't great.

"Oh, Hell No! Aspergers is a fad diagnosis! I've known several aspies and I have to say that I disagree wholehartedly. Just because you're different doesn't mean there's something wrong with you!"

At the time, realizing I may be on the spectrum was a huge life changing event. His negative reaction really hurt and it negatively affected my view of our friendship.

Since then, I got an ASD Dx and I mentioned it in a text to him and he didn't respond to, or acknowledge it. That kinda hurt too because I'm finally figuring myself out and am much more content with who I am. He recently moved to the east cost and I hate to say it, but I didn't see him before he left and I have no idea how long (if ever) it will be until I see him again.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
I told a good friend, who has known me for more than a decade, that I think I was on the spectrum. His first reaction wasn't great.

"Oh, Hell No! Aspergers is a fad diagnosis! I've known several aspies and I have to say that I disagree wholehartedly. Just because you're different doesn't mean there's something wrong with you!"

At the time, realizing I may be on the spectrum was a huge life changing event. His negative reaction really hurt and it negatively affected my view of our friendship.

Since then, I got an ASD Dx and I mentioned it in a text to him and he didn't respond to, or acknowledge it. That kinda hurt too because I'm finally figuring myself out and am much more content with who I am. He recently moved to the east cost and I hate to say it, but I didn't see him before he left and I have no idea how long (if ever) it will be until I see him again.

I tell very few people, one person (who didn't disagree I have AS) avoided me after I said I have AS and later someone told me everyone thinks he has AS, and that it probably scared him as he doesn't want to be labeled himself. Don't know if your friend could be on the spectrum?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
I tell very few people, one person (who didn't disagree I have AS) avoided me after I said I have AS and later someone told me everyone thinks he has AS, and that it probably scared him as he doesn't want to be labeled himself. Don't know if your friend could be on the spectrum?

I highly doubt he is on the spectrum.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:13 pm

Oh yeah --- right here on Wrong Planet, many times, just for expressing a personal quality that other people on the spectrum thinks is something "only NTs" do or feel or have or experience. Even AFTER I finally got diagnosed. But diagnosis isn't even good enough for some people on here. Would LOVE to hear some of these folks telling my psychologist face to face that they think she's full of sh!t because they think I'm full of sh!t.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:13 pm

Callista wrote:
MadHatterMatador wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
If you run into people in the first place, and you get a conversation going and share that you have autism with said people, you:

probably don't have autism

If you tell people you're autistic, you're not autistic?
I think if you go up to a stranger, start talking, and share that you have autism, you probably do have autism--you're probably an autistic without social anxiety and an active-but-odd social interaction style, the kind of autistic who will talk to anyone and everyone and probably dump a half hour lecture on them if they stand still long enough. Not every autistic person has problems initiating conversations. Some have so little social inhibition that they will happily start conversations with people they are not "supposed" to start conversations with, for example with strangers in a waiting room, and share things that most people would consider personal, like an autism diagnosis.

That would be me. :D

Quote:
Autistic people interact in many atypical ways. They ignore others, or seem very formal, or have one-sided conversations, or cross social boundaries, or trust total strangers, or constantly bring up their special interests. As we get older, we get better at communicating, and many of us learn the give-and-take of conversation. It's a learned skill, though, and it always takes a lot of effort. It is like saying, "You've learned to read, so you're not dyslexic," when the dyslexic person still has to work very hard to read.
You've got me pegged! :D

Wreck It Ralph

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:35 pm

[youtube]http://youtu.be/5fTBM_3sdwE[/youtube]

Ugg YouTube you fail me again there is no s or anything oh I'm so frustrated

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

As far as my family is concerned I'm not any different then the rest of the them. So with that being said, I'm either NT or my whole family could be autistic.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 1:36 am

What Does it Mean to 'Look Autistic?' A writer’s reflections on the pain of “passing” for neurotypical - Atlantic Magazine

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 12:11 pm

I also get told that I don't look autistic by many people. I think they're comparing me to Rain Man and their kids.

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2016, 12:29 pm

My mother often says she "knows I have mental problems" and calls out my autistic behavior. But she gets extremely angry and in denial if the possibility of me having ANY sort of mental illness/autism is suggested. *facepalm*

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2016, 10:52 am

NTs say that stuff ALL THE TIME. I'm only just starting to talk to people about myself, but having a (diagnosed) aspie partner and having worked with people with autism for 4 years I can't tell you how many times I've had these conversations with people about it.

At the weekend I was talking to a friend of a friend who works in mental health. She was reading 'The Reason I Jump'. We were talking about one of her clients and it sounded very much like she could be on the spectrum. I mentioned that and this woman said 'No, she has empathy and she has a sense of humour, so she can't be autistic'. I managed to give a calm response but I wanted to punch her in the face. It worries me when people who work in mental health know nothing about autism.

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016