do people call you dumb when they don't understand you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starwars1776
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2014, 6:21 am

olympiadis wrote:
I want to hear you explain half-life.
Half life is the amount of time it takes for a quantity to reduce to half its value measured at the beginning of the time period. Now that I see it writing I see why the kid might not have understood.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 6:36 am

olympiadis wrote:
I want to hear you explain half-life.

Is he talking about half-life in terms of chemistry like the half-life of carbon molecules? Or is he talking about the game Half-Life? Not sure because maybe he was talking about a special interest. If it's just about something relative to the class/science, then that's baffling.

Lol, I can remember this time in my life well. When I would explain something academic to someone in class and they would deride me about it, I would think and sometimes even say: "Oh, you think I'm stupid and nobody likes me? Well at least I'm concerned with real things, instead of spending my time thinking about picking my nose and gossiping like you."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2014, 2:33 pm

I'm dyslexic on top of being an Aspie & have been called dumb, stupid, moron, idiot & retorted alot by my peers as a kid.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

growing up and for all my life so far I have been subject to all sorts of epithets- ret*d, moron, freak, dumbass, and the like- and all their variants. I have seen mothers gather up their children when I walk down the street as though they thought I was contagious or something - I cannot explain because other than being tall and possessing a pony tail and dressed in scrub bottoms and net tank top, I don't see what is so scary about me. :scratch:

dooren
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm

I haven't been called a ret*d but I have had a friend of mine attacking me for posing intellectually and being stuck up. I have had acquintances complain about the unnecessarily long words that I use or trying to chalk my vocabulary up to my upbringing, i.e. being a teacher's daughter. Plus it didn't help that I thought nothing of talking to teachers (and now lecturers at university) like they were (are) my peers.
As far as I can gather, it is supposed to be lack of understanding from the other party, coupled with jealousy and the need to maintain social status by insulting someone who may have insulted them by saying something they didn't understand.
Odd - unbelievably odd.

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2014, 6:40 pm

I use to be muttered and called ret*d all the time, still am now sadly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

FautheralLoather wrote:
I use to be muttered and called ret*d all the time, still am now sadly.

ignore those clowns.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 6:50 pm

Usually they think of me more as annoying and strange... though I guess they may see me as dumb as well.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 8:25 pm

dooren wrote:
I haven't been called a ret*d but I have had a friend of mine attacking me for posing intellectually and being stuck up. I have had acquintances complain about the unnecessarily long words that I use or trying to chalk my vocabulary up to my upbringing, i.e. being a teacher's daughter. Plus it didn't help that I thought nothing of talking to teachers (and now lecturers at university) like they were (are) my peers.
As far as I can gather, it is supposed to be lack of understanding from the other party, coupled with jealousy and the need to maintain social status by insulting someone who may have insulted them by saying something they didn't understand.
Odd - unbelievably odd.

Projection.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 12:04 am

I have been called dumb and the R word before not understanding how to do basic things like how to properly do yard work, when to talk in a conversation (this was years ago in school), etc.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2014, 2:25 pm

I have yet to run into the first person to call me dumb...

but I suspect my physique plays part why people refrain from doing so, lol

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

Starwars1776 wrote:
I'm in science class(middle schooler) and I'm explaining half life to a "peer" and he doesn't understand so he simply says that I'm a ret*d and that nobody likes me. I had no idea what I did wrong.

Kids called each other that word all the time when I was in high school. They even called teachers that too behind their backs.

But yes I have been called stupid and dumb as a child because I had a language impairment and I talked funny and didn't understand lot of things and I had problems with learning. Even online I have been called this too especially by aspies and seeing them say I am close to being ret*d or am low functioning or being called slow.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

*raises hand*

A "friend" of mine used to do this to me all the time, he didn't know about my ASD, but my lack of common sense and tendency to laugh at stupid things would often trigger this. I think he was trying to play around more than anything, but given my lack of "playfulness", being called "dumb" or an "idiot" can be quite cutting, no matter the context.