Using headphones to cope with auditory issues

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:26 am

Do any of you listen to music on headphones to cope with noisy environments? If so, do any of you ever have problems with people who are unaware of auditory proccessing issues grilling you for being "rude" at work or social functions?

I was just discussing this issue with my uncle, who's not ASD but has similar auditory proceasing issues. We're at a noisy wedding reception and he seems to have it worse then me so he had to step oureception. I'm still inside, with the din of a conversing crowd and the singing guitarist they hired. I'm so tempTed to take out my collapsable headphones but they might think that's "rude" so I decided to start this thread on my phone to see if anyone has similar problems (I've gotten dirty looks from one guy just for looking at my phone)

(weddings aren't my favourite thing but I don't want to ruin this happy occasion with my glumness (also I'm kind of mad the groom (my cousin) is actually younger than me (and has a much better job (engineer) and he's an inch taller than me (he's 6'3 and I'm only 6'2) and he's naturally thin (so he doesn't need to skip meals or take phentermine like I do) and he went through every life milestone years before I did (first job, driver's licence, moving out of home, etc).
/tangent

Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 15 Nov 2014, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

saimand
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2014, 5:40 am

I do :) ...and earplugs at college when it gets too noisy,,, i just can't ignore all the noises in the background and it gets too much cuz i hear everything, nd to be honest i hate it, i can't concentrate

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Nov 2014, 11:17 am

Noise cancelling headphones are particularly helpful.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

Good idea. I should get noise canceling ones.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2014, 2:24 pm

I wear ear plugs in noisy environments. Especially noisy environments evolving lots of people.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:47 pm

I used to beg my teachers to let me listen to music in class. It helped me focus more and pay attention to work I did. However, there were a lot of students who took advantage of their willingness to allow it. So, it got to the point where they wouldn't allow it anymore though. It really put a damper on me because it was my only means of focusing and blocking out unwanted distractions.

At home, I've adapted to having music with noise-blocking earphones. It'll help me focus better and block out those unwanted distractions hovering around me. I only have like borderline to mild sensory issues with sound. It depends on my mood and what I'm doing as well. If I'm writing a story, or watching TV... but my parents are talking in the kitchen or something, it can cause me sensory overload because I can't focus on my story or the TV show. Usually, I can listen to music, which helps me focus more on my writing.

My noise-blocking headphones cost me over 100 dollars. I don't hear hardly anything when I'm wearing them, and they help so much.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Do any of you listen to music on headphones to cope with noisy environments? If so, do any of you ever have problems with people who are unaware of auditory proccessing issues grilling you for being "rude" at work or social functions?

I was just discussing this issue with my uncle, who's not ASD but has similar auditory proceasing issues. We're at a noisy wedding reception and he seems to have it worse then me so he had to step oureception. I'm still inside, with the din of a conversing crowd and the singing guitarist they hired. I'm so tempTed to take out my collapsable headphones but they might think that's "rude" so I decided to start this thread on my phone to see if anyone has similar problems (I've gotten dirty looks from one guy just for looking at my phone)

(weddings aren't my favourite thing but I don't want to ruin this happy occasion with my glumness (also I'm kind of mad the groom (my cousin) is actually younger than me (and has a much better job (engineer) and he's an inch taller than me (he's 6'3 and I'm only 6'2) and he's naturally thin (so he doesn't need to skip meals or take phentermine like I do) and he went through every life milestone years before I did (first job, driver's licence, moving out of home, etc).
/tangent

Seems like people are more understanding with typical physical problems involving sound but somehow neurological doesn't mean "physical" to them. At least because of my hearing impairment I can use the excuse that otherwise everything sounds like an indistinct, dull roar. It would be nice if at least your family understood your symptoms. Maybe over time they will. They probably don't understand that over-stimulation can be very disorienting and even physically painful (don't know about you guys but I get killer migraines sometimes).

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

My favorite pair of earbuds broke the other day. It pisses me off because my roommates have this LOUD sound system and they love to blast their music and crank it whenever they play CoD. I have a pair of over-ear headphones I'm currently using, but they just don't work nearly as well for blocking external sounds. I would tell them to stop, but I don't want to create any issues for them. I'm already kind of on thin ice with them for how lazy I can be, particularly when it comes to helping with household chores or keeping my room clean.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:51 pm

Are there noise-canceling ear plugs that pass for hearing aids or are hidden? The earphones seem too obvious.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:41 pm

Hmmm. Maybe I should get some more discreet ones. Lately I've just been carrying these around in my pocket all the time.
http://www.1stbuy.in/wp-content/uploads ... -76b9b.jpg

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:52 pm

I have peltor senserory headphones but they don't play music maybe I should try that although I don't think my kids are let me listen to music in class and half of the time I'm asked to put them away even though they don't play music.

I did listen to music in the hallways a few times though. I think

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:21 pm

Exactly. Those NTs won't let us wear our headphones even when they know we're ASD.

And they always come up with some ridiculous excuse like it's rude or it's against their safety regulations because they'll prevent me from hearing the incredibly loud fire alarm or it will make other people jealous. Sigh, I've actually had all three of those used against me.

grbiker
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2014, 10:30 pm

I work in a noisy environment and wear earplugs all the time. Wouldn't want to listen to music all day, so just earplugs. I like the muffled sensation makes me more comfortable.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 2:38 am

jenisautistic wrote:
I have peltor senserory headphones but they don't play music maybe I should try that although I don't think my kids are let me listen to music in class and half of the time I'm asked to put them away even though they don't play music.

I did listen to music in the hallways a few times though. I think

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Exactly. Those NTs won't let us wear our headphones even when they know we're ASD.

And they always come up with some ridiculous excuse like it's rude or it's against their safety regulations because they'll prevent me from hearing the incredibly loud fire alarm or it will make other people jealous. Sigh, I've actually had all three of those used against me.

This is part of the reason why I want to run my own business, or at least work as a contractor instead of having someone else as my boss. I've already had a few jobs where we weren't allowed music or headphones on the job, and I think that's BS. At my last position at a job training program, our safety helmets did have earmuffs on them for hearing protection, but we still weren't allowed to have mp3 players or phones on us.

And NTs wonder why 90% of people on the spectrum are unemployed... They don't frickin' bother to accommodate us! :x

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 6:47 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
And NTs wonder why 90% of people on the spectrum are unemployed... They don't frickin' bother to accommodate us! :x

And then when we're unemployed the NTs call us lazy and say it's our fault and say we're refusing to work. Not that I'm bitter about it. /sarcasm

At least the place I'm a temp at (hope to go permanent) makes accommodations. Unlike my last job which claimed to make accommodations for ASD but didn't. Not that I'm bitter about it. /sarcasm

Somberlain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2014, 7:14 am

I wear headphones even at home.

English is not my native language. 1000th edit, here I come.