Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Blender
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2014, 6:11 pm

I don't do sports. I don't do anything extreme. I live in fear of the next time that I trip over something. Over the course of my life I have had many injuries.

I have had:
three concussions,
Broken all of my front teeth,
multiple rib fractures on different occasions,
Torn the cartilage around my sternum,
separated my shoulder,
broken the radius in my arm,
broken metacarpals in my hand,
repeated stress fractures of tibia and fibula in both legs requiring casts or boot (5 times),
Broken metatarsals in each foot (also required casts),
broken ankle (sigh, cast),
and I have broken all of my toes (yes, all of them, some more than once).

And, aside from the concussions, that doesn't even cover soft tissue injuries. I believe that the repeated stress fractures are due to an abnormal gait. When I was a teenager, the doctors subjected me to a full body bone density scan to see if there was something wrong with my bones. There was nothing abnormal. I just had a "knack" for breaking bones. When I was a young man, the Army did the same thing, same result. I think that it is because when I fall down I am unable to physically adjust my body in any way that would do anything to mitigate injury. I just sort of crash in to the ground.

Have any of you suffered multiple injuries from being clumsy?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 7:12 pm

I've stubbed my toes, gotten paper cuts, fallen down and bruised myself badly and in general hit myself by accident many times. I'm accident prone pretty much.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

Wow Blender, I thought I was accident prone. I've crushed three fingers, busted my toes five times (8 if you count the times I rebroke them before they healed), shattered my ankle, and a few child hood bicycle accident scars.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm

Broken both wrists, an ankle, collar bone, a couple of toes, smashed in my front baby teeth, have hurt my knees pretty bad a few times. Have needed stitches in my head a few times, and foot and a couple of fingers.

Blender
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2014, 12:03 am

Thank you. I wanted to know if it was just me. The literature says that physical clumsiness is one of the traits. However, a read through the older posts shows that this aspect is not discussed very much. I was curious if it was rare or if my experience was somewhat normal for someone on the spectrum. I know that my case is probably extreme. I have had a lot of problems with this area. But I was diagnosed late in life and I hadn't interacted with any others before I found this site, so I didn't know.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 12:37 am

My motor skills weren't always the best, and they seem to have declined in recent years. Can't catch a ball or anything throw at me really to be honest, my depth perception is a bit off.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 12:56 am

I haven't had quite the trauma that you have had Blender, but I've definitely had my share. I've broken both my ankles, both elbows, my wrist, several toes, a finger, and a front tooth. I pulled a muscle in my back in a fall, have scars from severe cuts on both my feet from stepping on broken glass, have badly cut my left index finger three times, and have a scar under my chin when I fell against the edge of the TV. And these are just the major ones. This doesn't count all the sprains, burns and bruises, or the broken and spilled items, or the auto accidents (6 so far -- 4 minor, 2 major where I totaled the cars.)

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 8:44 am

Yeah I'm fairly accident prone, fractured fingers, chipped bones, permanent bruising, I once slammed a car door shut on my hand, it didn't occur to me to move it in time 8O . I take less risks nowadays, its mostly regular stuff like stubbed toes and bruises from door handles.