Page 2 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

I can't eat mixed tastes nor textures so I eat things separately, usually from the least favorie to most favorite. I don't even let different foods touch on a plate.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 11:59 am

olympiadis wrote:
If you have a plate with multiple different food items on it, do you eat one item at a time before moving to the next?

I did this up until I was a teenager.

I think I did that too growing up. I also hated for different foods on my plate to touch. It doesn't bother me as much now.

I've always disliked most "side" items anyway. By the time I was a teenager, all I really wanted to eat was meat. Even now, I'm satisfied just eating meat by itself for a meal. But I also like meat mixed into pasta or rice with sauce.

I don't like vegetables much but every once in awhile I might eat something like a stir fry meal that has some vegetables mixed in. But the vegetables have to blend well with the other ingredients. I really prefer it if they are chopped up into a small pieces.

It is really weird to me to go back and forth between eating a vegetable and a meat, if they are served separately. I would rather have it mixed together and probably drowned in some type of sauce.

If I cook mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy with a meal I usually eat them mixed together. I may dip pork chops or chicken strips in the gravy and potatoes, but I probably wouldn't have done that when I was a kid. I would have eaten each thing separately.

When I eat things that are mixed together, I like for it to be mixed as evenly as possible. I mean for instance when I eat pizza, it really annoys me if the toppings are not evenly distributed.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2014, 12:31 pm

Oh my gosh yes! My mom always makes fun of me for this (in a good way). I do it because it makes sense to me. I'm not sensitive to foods, but I get used to eating that one food, so I eat it until I finish.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2014, 2:10 pm

I usually eat one thing at a time & it's odd to my parents.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

sdu
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2014, 7:24 pm

I pretty much always eat things separately. In most cases, I don't mind sauces or mixed ingredients if they are part of the same food item, but I never mix different items on my plate and always eat them in a particular order. My parents also point this out often and think it is a strange habit, even though it has always been normal for me.

I can't stand the texture of meat (ground beef being the only exception), so I don't always eat the same meal as my family.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 12:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm a weird Aspie---I like to mix my food.

Me too! :D

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 12:48 am

I did this all the time when I was a kid. I got in trouble for it all the time, so I was eventually forced to change. Now as an adult, I catch myself doing it when I'm alone. When I'm with other people I try to mix it up.

To the poster who mentioned eating mixed cereal shapes separately -- I don't do that anymore, but yes I did do that as a child also, especially Crunch Berries, because they were large enough to pick out from the rest of the cereal.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 5:25 am

I can eat two things at once, if it's like fries and a burger. Past that, no.

I also can't do multiple textures on one plate of food (ie chili, anything other than cheese on my pizza, salad) and I don't usually stray away from my normal meals (aka, try new foods.) Actually, I don't at all.

I'm very autistic when it comes to food..

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2014, 11:59 am

I tend to do them one at a time as well. To me it savors the flavor of the parts better. If I'm going to mash it all as a stew, I'm probably just eating out of neccesity, not because I actually like the things I've prepared.

That said, some meals don't lend themselves for seperate eating. I quite like taco's and the assortment of mexican wrap/shell type dishes. Can't imagine eating unseasoned meat first, then the vegetables, then some sauce and finanlly a dry wrap.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2014, 2:31 pm

Not letting individual foods touch and eating them one at a time is something I've done all my life. Not letting them touch drove my mother nuts. Eating them one at a time drove my ex nuts to the point she made sure our children didn't do it. Funny thing is now that we are divorced, my kids converted to one food at a time when they are with me.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm

I usually eat one thing at a time. I base what I eat first by which food I expect to cool the quickest, as I like eating my meal warm.

IAmTheCatalyst
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2014, 11:19 pm

Yes, in fact I nearly started this topic myself a few days ago. I always eat my foods in specific order - my least favorite, all the way up to my favorite food last. If there is a food I haven't tried before in my life, I usually try it before everything else to discern it's placement. The only way I ever found out this was odd is because when I would sit at the table and eat with other people at family gatherings they would say, "Don't you like the *insert food I haven't even touched yet*?", and when I'd tell them I eat my foods in order I always got funny looks.

The only exceptions to this are things like sauces, pizza, mexican food and rice; things that are "supposed to be mixed". The thing mentioned about "eating all the cereal before the marshmallows", yes I do that too. I'll do it with vegetables or mixed foods that "aren't supposed to be mixed" too. I always get comments like, "why are you eating all the *insert item in the mix*, aren't you going to eat the rest?" :roll:

I also do this funny thing with sandwiches that have crust. I eat them by eating it around in a clockwise circle, crust first, and then eating the very center. Sometimes I get annoyed when I can't do it with messy sandwiches. I also eat pizza backwards. I didn't know either of those were odd until it was pointed out.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 12:33 am

RubyWings91 wrote:
I base what I eat first by which food I expect to cool the quickest, as I like eating my meal warm.

I do that too. And part of why I don't like to eat vegetables is they tend to cool faster than other foods.

I like green peppers on a pizza, but if they aren't cut in small enough pieces they cool off faster than the rest of the pizza.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 1:59 am

Having all the crunchberries and pink milk at the end is the best.

Jdurden
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2014, 4:05 am

Yeah I used to do this as a child, but now I prefer to mix them

NineSpiral09
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2014, 4:27 am

Depending on the circumstances, I'll eat dishes in a certain order. For example, if I was told (or observe the food myself) that one particular dish is scalding hot I put that aside for later and eat the colder dishes first. However, since I live with Japanese customs I want to respect the idea of alternating between eating rice and side dishes to cleanse the palate (note: rice isn't the "main course").