Anyone else so depressed they've left huge boxes near doors?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Sep 2019, 2:47 pm

One has been in front of my toilet for about five months now, which makes it difficult to use said thing, and the other more recent 'addition' is in front of my room door which is used even more often and has been there for a few weeks... got so many other problems, life in such huge gutters, that I often feel too depressed to even play video games, let alone spend tens of minutes sorting out stuff to get the boxes out of the way. Often all I can do, at most, is read random stuff, anything else seemingly requiring too much effort...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 11:00 am

wish to hell i'd noticed this one earlier, i'm the same way. :|

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 7:43 pm

Wow.

Is it possible for one to be depressed without knowing he's depressed? This sounds like an accurate description of my life and my surroundings.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 7:44 pm

i'm not sad per se, but i seem to lack get up and go.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 9:10 pm

I am VERY disorganised.

I'm not quite at the fully-fledged hoarder stage yet, but I'd be embarrassed to let guests into my home.

Things pile up faster than I can deal with them.

Every so often I have a big sort out, but that simply lessens the problem rather than completely curing it.

I detest paperwork and filing, but I'm also scared to throw a lot of things away in case they turn out to be important. Though if they do subsequently turn out to be important, chances are I won't be able to find them again anyway.

It's possible I might have ADHD, which doesn't help.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 9:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i'm not sad per se, but i seem to lack get up and go.

Same here, mine got up and went.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 9:21 pm

it is frustrating to not be able to organize my way out of a wet paper bag.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 9:26 pm

In my old job I often used to joke that if the building caught fire I'd be in there throwing all our paperwork on it.

I wasn't really joking.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 9:50 pm

Not me.
In my case, it'll be like... I just didn't see it until I step back, recall that it's been there the whole time.

And start seeing everything in a less coherent familiarity VS unfamiliar with countless factors of personal intent -- but this is me, involving shared spaces.

Had it been a personalized space, it'll be very inconsistent.
Torn between eagerness to act upon the intent of organizing, the lack of deadlines and urgency, from my current resources to deal with anything.
Should this overwhelm me or not? Would this excite me or frustrate me?
Would I do it and damn it all, or not do it and damn it all? Etc.

Yet this is an interesting thought.
Something I might think about the people around me -- am I ought to 'organize' things for them?

Had I project the thought and question for myself, I will resent anyone who thought or assume of that onto me.
I wouldn't like anyone touching my things, concern or no.

But do others?
Should this be an idea of lighting the load and stress or an idea of evading and cause more stress?

Hm.

To me it's mostly... A matter of priority than energy.

If it's high priority and I can't, of course it'll be depressing.
If it's low priority and I can't, it's likely because I won't and the sight and thought of the whole thing would be annoying.

If the priorities are jumbled... I dunno. Maybe it is depressing, maybe it isn't. Might as well not even see it.
Whatever my priority at the very moment would be then.

But what makes my priority? Thought or emotions? :o State or intent?

Would I? Should I? Could I? Must I? ...
Then how should I? How do I? How could I?...

Sometimes there are debates as to why do it or not do it -- be it in a form of reasoning or emotion, sometimes there are no debates and do it anyway.

How does one get out of those internal debates, wrestle the control and finish it?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 9:55 pm

I've left Christmas trees up until July. Currently, I have my daughter's bags from university sitting in the living room now for almost 9 months since the quarantine. She's depressed too - that's why they're still there. It's now day 3 without a shower and I couldn't care less. The Christmas tree now is sitting in the middle of the floor still in a bin waiting to be put up. No lights this year - not interested. Eating WAY WAY too much also. I haven't cleaned the house in over two years - and that was before Covid 19. Now, my excuse "is" Covid 19. The vacuum cleaner is broke and I'm glad. But joy will come eventually and it will all get done.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 10:07 pm

i only shower when i hafta be around people. nobody visits so they don't know about the stench.

SC5017
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2020, 5:37 am

These posts also describe the chaos I live in too. It is a similar discussion to one dear_one started about organisation. I think, at least in my case, that it is related to an inability to make a decision, if there is no inherent criteria. It is no good trying to make an arbitrary criteria, because I will start questioning it. When I was writing software I didn’t have much of a problem because there was some basis on which to make decisions, similarly with research; but sorting and filing is much more difficult. I pick up a piece of paper and think where should I put this and I don’t know so I put it back down again. I too am afraid of throwing out something I may later need.
One possible cause of the depression is the feeling that we are not really coping and we ought to be able to do this, leading to a feeling of inadequacy. Somehow we probably need to think about this differently.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 12:45 pm

It isn't uncommon for me to have to step over the same small thing for weeks, and I don't often have very much clear tabletop, but I'm doing better. My workshop room is between my kitchen/bath and my bedroom - the former living room. After four years here, I only had a narrow path through it. Then, I cleared more path and space for a small hobby works. Now, the main bench is almost clear, but I'm stuck at trying to sort out all the things collected in the corners and along walls. The drawers are fairly well classified, but I still have to look through several of them pretty often, and several are under-used.
Organizing a new space entails a huge investment in remembering, or perhaps recording, where things have gone. In a mess, they can be found by "last seen at" or by the sight of some corner still visible. I'm wary of moving things to "where they belong" when I'm used to finding them in a specific random location.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 12:54 pm

busy
disorganised
lazy
hung over
not always depressed

btw have you been looking through my letter box again?

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 2:24 pm

Mine is an executive functioning issue, more than depression. But I certainly seem oblivious to things others wouldn't tolerate in their houses. Some of the things I've ignored or forgotten, somehow been oblivious to were huge, literally, I spaced out a dead stove in the middle of my kitchen for a few months once. Really inconvenient and frustrating while I need the kitchen, out of mind completely when I was in the living room.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 2:34 pm

Sometimes I'll plan on adjusting my bicycle gears "the next time I stop" for a hundred rides in a row.

Re: Depression and lack of motivation in general, for me the cure is absurdly simple - I just need to drink about two litres of water in a few hours, and at least two a day thereafter. When I'm feeling happy and energetic, I spend about a minute a day pissing at max flow. 80% of the people admitted to hospital from emergency are clinically dehydrated.