Does it feel good to you when you infodump?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Butterfiend
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2014, 1:59 pm

I'm feeling depressed and It feels better when I info-dump on people. Do other people with Asperger's feel this way? Unfortunately there's nobody to talk to right now.

AQ Score:44

Feel free to PM me for any reason at all. I like to talk to people online.

"I do not know what I am, and soon it may not matter." -Mewtwo.

"Time passes, people move. Like a river’s flow, it never ends." - Sheik

"I'm not popular enough to be different." -Homer Simpson

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

My husband says info dump is like a compulsion. He just cant help it. Worse yet, during the dump, the other person is irrelevant. He doesn't really care about them, just that he can get all the thoughts and information out.

If you interrupted him, he gets furious. You've derailed him, and he can talk for over an hour without stopping.

When my husband is in the middle of a serious info dump, I have to walk away. I just can't be held hostage any more, and he'll trail behind me still talking.

He says he gets depressed afterwards, but the compulsion is too great not to do it.

This has really hampered him having friends.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 2:54 pm

So, soo very good.

I am really, really grateful to the people who sometimes indulge me in this. Particularly when I know my wife has no interest in molecular biology or galactic evolution... But it is so good to get it out.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

I have never info-dumped. I wish that I could do that sometimes because it sounds fun. I have so much knowledge stored in my head, but I'm way too reserved to share it with anyone unless prodded to do so. I have found myself to be rather quiet even by Aspie-standards.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 3:09 pm

I usually get cut off by with whomever I am conversing. It frustrates me, and, occasionally, I continue where I left off even if it is mid-sentence. That always gets the other individual's attention. I try to be brief, but when the other individual asks something with multiple variations or conditions, I feel it is only appropriate to answer all of them.

What I would like to say is a quote from Woody Allen in [in]Annie Hall[/i] when, frustrated at the bad manners of another person, he looks at the camera and says "what I wouldn't give for a gym sock filled with horse manure right now."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

i don't really like info-dumping, it's more like a compulsion. like i NEED to. it's embarrassing.

if i get cut off, i dont get angry but it is a little annoying and kind of disheartening. even if the conversation moves on, i'll end up still info-dumping a little. i dont know how to explain it. it's less like a text wall and more like small paragraphs spread over a small amount of time.

dorque
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

I don't know what I am but I must info dump and I also don't have many people to talk to, probably because of this. OP, how did you get the evaluation numbers in your signature?

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2014, 4:29 pm

I try to keep it brief, but thats never enough to explain it all. I used to have a friend who would actually be interested, and she would info dump on me as well, and I found it interesting too.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

I try to avoid subjects with people that I know they have no interest or knowledge in but I do like sharing what I know and am interested in with people. I have a real interest in politics, current events, and sports so most people have some idea what I am talking about or at least pretend to know. I think I do have a habit of trying to lecture and teach but whatever I guess.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 6:57 pm

In real life I can't manage much of an infodump because of my severe stutter and anxiety. Online I try to hold back as it usually illicits a negative response. Though it is great to find people with similar interests.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

I do not believe I have ever info dumped, but I'm pretty sure that I know what you're referring to as my AS boyfriend does it often. Has anybody else reading also never done this? Is it uncommon for somebody on the spectrum to not have? I know that when it comes to me and my special interests, I do not like to discuss it with others at all, so maybe the same reason there is the same reason I do not...

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

Okay, it may be bloody stupid to ask this, but what the heck does 'info dump" mean?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 9:17 pm

having a one sided conversation where you just talk about information?

If I learn an interesting fact I will tell those I know, hoping it will start an interesting conversation, if they dont seem interested I just leave it at that.

Butterfiend
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2014, 9:19 pm

Misery wrote:
Okay, it may be bloody stupid to ask this, but what the heck does 'info dump" mean?

It's a thing where you dominate a conversation and you're doing almost all of the talking, mostly about a special interest.

AQ Score:44

Feel free to PM me for any reason at all. I like to talk to people online.

"I do not know what I am, and soon it may not matter." -Mewtwo.

"Time passes, people move. Like a river’s flow, it never ends." - Sheik

"I'm not popular enough to be different." -Homer Simpson

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm

slenkar wrote:
having a one sided conversation where you just talk about information?.

Also known as monologuing. I love recounting information, but other people get bored so quickly.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 9:22 pm

Ahh.... that sort of thing.

These days I just try not to do it at all, despite the urge. Nobody ever listens, so it feels like such a waste....