Do you smoke marijuana?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 87

AspiringNT
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

How does marijuana affect people with AS? I can't work out whether it increases my symtoms or just makes me more aware of them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

I wouldn't know since I've never touched it. The only time I've even actually seen it was that time in junior high when the police came and showed us samples of real drugs tightly sealed up in display cases. So if we actually were offered it we'd know what it was and turn it down, I guess.
I don't care what anyone says, weed is a drug. Most people think it isn't because it's a plant, but there are all kinds of plants that are highly toxic and can kill you. Also, it seems to me that when people are high on it they stop caring about everything else. Their job, their family... they become indifferent to everything. Their house could be on fire and they're like, "Wowww maaan, fire looks like pretty orange fairies." :drunken:

I guess it's all right for people with terminal illness, but how many people who use it really are terminally ill? It seems to me nearly everyone in the "hippie" part of the US and Canada have some terminal illness, because that's their reason for smuggling it across the border. I really don't want to go swimming there, I'll bet the life guards there are so out of it. "Hey look, someone's drowning, maaan. Huh-huh-huh". :lol:

Of course I can't stand cigarettes, and I don't drink alcohol. I really am a nerd.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 9:10 pm

I've never tried it and don't plan on it (I can't with my medications either), but I have no problem with people who use it responsibly.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 12:01 am

Its different for every person since AS affects people differently. For me, an extremely low amount drank in tea (aka, it takes people like 1 gram smoked or eaten in a few bites/puffs to get high.. I make it in tea with just 1/50th'ish of a gram in 1 liter of water with green tea) does noticeably reduce the social anxiety effects. It stays in your system for almost a week so a cup every 4 days means a liter lasts almost a month. You also need to be careful and not buy the artificial product (very dangerous) and to use the correct strain for your needs.

The two main strains are Indica and Sativa. The Sativa strain has high THC content and its the 'get high' strain and is mood altering. People with depression tend to feel better with this if taken responsibly (aka not to get high). However the Sativa also has the effect of making people paranoid and emotional..but I've not read yet why it affects some people this way and not others. Indica has high CBD and low THC. CBD is cannabinoid and its basically a relaxant/analgesic. No, it wont numb you but it will make you sleepy and very relaxed. Indica is supposed to be good for those with social anxiety and sleeping problems or those with muscle pains.

How it feels? Well its hard to say since everyone experiences it differently. I do not feel anxiety as an emotion per say when I get social anxiety.. I just mind blank a lot and get steadily more irritated the longer a conversation happens or social setting. When I first drink the tea the physical sensation is like when you take cough medication and it makes you feel like the bottom of your brain was floating a mm above its normal position..but there is no loss of motor control or cognitive abilities at all. It goes away after a few minutes. The long term effect (a two to three days) is that when I am in a social situation the mind blanks rarely happen and I'm far more relaxed (dont get irritated) when talking to others. Its almost like the 'confidence boost' you get from having a few drinks but not being drunk..except it lasts for days.

It does help me noticeably enough to think its very well worth using. Problem is of course, it is illegal in some states...and that you need to be disciplined in its use. Its very easy to slip into using it recreationally and once you do that, you're screwed since the old low-dose will never work on you again.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2014, 12:41 am

I'm pretty sure I used to smoke a LOT of it in the 1970's-80's although it's all a bit hazy. :?

How it affected me? In general it made me more outgoing, less depressed and really hungry. The higher quality/stronger varieties never agreed with me though...made me paranoid.

Haven't smoked any in probably close to 30 years.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:38 am

Yeah I smoke, helps with depression/anxiety as it is calming, though admittedly I do enjoy the high as well, so can't say I don't smoke it for that reason as well. It doesn't really impair judgment like alcohol as it doesn't impair the frontal lobe and such, also does not tend to cause nasty hangovers like alcohol, just feels pleasant and relaxing difficult to describe to anyone who hasn't tried it, also it doesn't effect everyone the same.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:43 am

Never touched it but been around people whom smoked, I didn't care for the smell of it (it kinda makes me feel sick to my stomach). Not to mention the people I've witnessed smoking either become hyper-focused or a total ass clown (where every word/action becomes a joke to them).

Last edited by JoelFan on 18 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:24 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, weed is a drug. Most people think it isn't because it's a plant, but there are all kinds of plants that are highly toxic and can kill you. Also, it seems to me that when people are high on it they stop caring about everything else. Their job, their family... they become indifferent to everything.

Yeah, and their brains rot, they are so unaware of everything around them, and they're oh so NOT funny. Can't stand them!

I have been offered it, and I passed and I would pass again if offered again.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:50 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Also, it seems to me that when people are high on it they stop caring about everything else. Their job, their family... they become indifferent to everything. Their house could be on fire and they're like, "Wowww maaan, fire looks like pretty orange fairies." :drunken:

In the unlikely notion that you actually believe that, it sounds like you're confusing weed with VERY large-doses of another much more powerful(hard) drug of some sort.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:47 am

I use it all the time, it helps tremendously. By the way, none of the active ingredients are soluble in water, so brewing a tea is pointless.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

AspE wrote:
I use it all the time, it helps tremendously. By the way, none of the active ingredients are soluble in water, so brewing a tea is pointless.

Yes it is not water soluble. It is why you boil the thing in about 2 cups of water and a spoonful of butter and boil it for about like 45 minutes so the heat to extract it all, stir and let it cool. The active components will bind to the butter. You then separately brew the green tea (or whatever tea you like) and mix it with the other...stir and serve. Ive found green tea brewed from leaf (not the instant stuff) and teas like earl grey and Ceylon Blackwood tea taste rather good with the slightly butter taste. I squeeze a slice of lemon into it as well for flavor.

I cannot bring myself to smoke the thing. Its why I drink it. Easier to control the low dosage as well in my opinion....and easier to carry with you.

Emiry
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2014, 11:13 am

I usually only smoke with my boyfriend now as when I smoke up with other people I can get really self aware, which increases my social anxiety and makes me uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable while high is not good because then I get panic attacks and all sorts, which is why even when I do smoke it's just one bowl. I enjoy being stoned when I'm alone with the bf, it makes me more reflective of myself. I kinda feel that it improves my sober self. Also it's a good way to relax, especially with a glass of wine.

To the people saying it destroys your brain, I've smoked heavily for the past 6 years which hasn't stopped me from being accepted for a PhD in bioenergy next year.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm

I have been an occasional smoker for many years. I am a very detailed-oriented person. When used, it somehow enables me to form connections between the detailed data I collect on an everyday basis and identify new relationships that I previously was unaware of. Another way of saying it is that it enables me to see and understand forest from an interconnected set of trees, and form new insights.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 12:24 pm

It doesn't seem to affect my personality too much. It does make me stim more and feel more comfortable doing so when around friends. The last time I smoked it (from a vaporizer), it made my body feel very light, as if I had no mass. My weighted blanket felt amazing when I was feeling like that. Just laying there with it on me felt so relaxing and so content. I hope it gets legalized in my state for recreational use.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:56 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, weed is a drug. Most people think it isn't because it's a plant, but there are all kinds of plants that are highly toxic and can kill you. Also, it seems to me that when people are high on it they stop caring about everything else. Their job, their family... they become indifferent to everything.

Yeah, and their brains rot, they are so unaware of everything around them, and they're oh so NOT funny. Can't stand them!

I have been offered it, and I passed and I would pass again if offered again.

Cannabis actually does not cause brain rotting....there isn't even evidence to suggest it any death of brain cells. Alcohol kills brain cells though and its legal. Also with my experience smoking and hanging around people who smoke never ran into any cannabis smokers who are indifferent to everything, most don't really seem indifferent at all. It has mellowing effects so during the high people may seem a little more care-free but not the same thing as being entirely indifferent, I'd think there are other drugs more likely to cause that.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 4:54 pm

It helped me a lot when I had cancer. I am glad it is becoming legal in the states in many places so that it can help others that are sick. Even though I do not partake in it any longer I have personally experienced the positive benefits it can have.