Yes 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 87

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:37 am

Rocket123 wrote:
I have been an occasional smoker for many years. I am a very detailed-oriented person. When used, it somehow enables me to form connections between the detailed data I collect on an everyday basis and identify new relationships that I previously was unaware of. Another way of saying it is that it enables me to see and understand forest from an interconnected set of trees, and form new insights.

I do the same. When I can, I find it's a means to resolve what I've learned about technologies and people, focusing in on things I need to know as opposed to the futile habit of trying to extrapolate an entire society.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:39 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
AspE wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, weed is a drug. Most people think it isn't because it's a plant, but there are all kinds of plants that are highly toxic and can kill you. Also, it seems to me that when people are high on it they stop caring about everything else. Their job, their family... they become indifferent to everything.

Yeah, and their brains rot, they are so unaware of everything around them, and they're oh so NOT funny. Can't stand them!

I have been offered it, and I passed and I would pass again if offered again.

Cannabis actually does not cause brain rotting....there isn't even evidence to suggest it any death of brain cells. Alcohol kills brain cells though and its legal. Also with my experience smoking and hanging around people who smoke never ran into any cannabis smokers who are indifferent to everything, most don't really seem indifferent at all. It has mellowing effects so during the high people may seem a little more care-free but not the same thing as being entirely indifferent, I'd think there are other drugs more likely to cause that.

Alcohol doesn't kill brain cells either, that's a myth. Brain cells die all the time, in fact, brain cell death is how the brain's structure is created in the first place.

I will look it up but pretty sure large amounts of alcohol can kill brain cells and at least cause some amount of brain damage. It is a well known fact it impairs the frontal lobe, doesn't do that by helping brain cells. Of course brain cells die all the time and are replaced with new ones but alcohol certainly is not healthy for them.

It's called apoptosis. Preordained cell death is what differentiates any biological forms. No one would have digits on their hands and feet if the cells between the metacarpals didn't die in-utero.

Guitarguy86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2014, 4:26 am

I wrote an article in Cannabis Now Magazine specifically on how it helps my experience with Aspergers. The link is at the bottom of this post.

One of my favorite strains is Harlequin. It's a CBD rich strain. CBD is non psychoactive by itself, however, it is next to impossible to extract every bit of THC out of it, so when a dispensary says a flower(bud), or a concentrate has no THC in it, it's more like 1% even though they say non-psychoactive.

To help put things into perspective:
The average THC percentages for flowers(buds) in California are around 15-16%, and I have seen for myself as strong as 33%! !! That is rare. 24% THC is becoming more common. Most strains have no CBD. For the ones that do have CBD, the THC drops as CBD levels rise. The same strain can produce different percentages between each plant/season. It's a shot in the dark until you get them tested in a lab. A strain is considered high CBD if it has more than 1% CBD. When I get Harlequin, it is usually around 5% THC and around 10-13% CBD. It varies with each grower and plant. There's rumors going around of over 20% CBD, and 0.5% THC. The stuff that comes in bricks from Mexico(a lot of it was circulating 10 years ago) had the strength of say, 8% THC today? My best friend's mom used to talk about how strong it was before we were born, then tried some modern varieties before changing her statement. The increase in strength over the years has created much confusion between the generation gap. Ten years ago before dispensaries started testing their buds and concentrates, I would wonder why sometimes I would get really high one day, but barely anything the next. I just wanted to throw in my two cents, as this is something I am passionate about.

Here's the article, please excuse the title typo...
http://cannabisnowmagazine.com/cannabis ... s-syndrome
If the link does not work, google "Using High CBD Harlequin To Manage Asperger's Syndrome.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:26 am

cberg wrote:

It's called apoptosis. Preordained cell death is what differentiates any biological forms. No one would have digits on their hands and feet if the cells between the metacarpals didn't die in-utero.

Alright alcohol can cause brain damage and cannabis does not...I guess cell death was bad terminology.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

29 Nov 2014, 6:03 am

I smoked daily it for a long time. There are more drawbacks than advantages for me.

1. If you are a mechanic, or a forklift operator, or working on it in a lot of other ways, you will be next to worthless. you can make problems because of it. If you have an accident in the workplace, and get tested, at least in my state, you're screwed. OSHA doesn't like pot smokers for good reason. It is unsafe, and costly.

2. It is kind of hard to get a job when you need to get drug tested. There are ways to fake it, but if you get into an accident at work, or if you get a random drug test, your screwed, so what is the point. If you can find a job where everyone gets high, and nobody cares, good for you.

3. In most places it is illegal.

4. I don't like drug dealers. Most of them are very bad people. If they deal weed, they hide there true colors very well. Catering to the customer base. I have known ALOT of drug dealers, don't bother questioning me about it. It is a waste of time. You have to know these people just to get it. These people belong in prison, plain and simple.

I could keep going, but I will stop there. I used to smoke it every day after work for around 20 years. It was my escape. For the most part, I think I needed it. At the time, even though it has its side effects, I believed it was a wonderful drug, and I don't have a problem if others do it. It has it's place. Some places it does not belong.

It is an addiction, and it is a drug. People that tell me it is not very addictive, are liars. Shure some things are more addictive.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 6:18 am

I smoked it very heavily for about seven years - That was almost thirty years ago. I have not had a joint in more than five years - But I have not out and out quit either. I just have not been bothered to look for it. In modest doses I don't think there is anything wrong with it. But frankly during that seven years I fell into the habit of over doing it. I have never seen any harmful side effect in those who use it moderately. But in those who using it way too much like I did - the harmful side effect is that it simply makes people (including myself) very lazy. It doesn't make you do bad things. In high doses it does make people somewhat lethargic and lazy. I suppose if it was a choice between overusing alcohol or overusing marijuana - overusing marijuana would be the lesser evil.

I have experience both reduction of anxiety and paranoia after smoking marijuana. It seems to be capable of producing either.

- Albert Einstein

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2014, 10:23 am

I use to smoke weed quite a bit when my brother growed it when I was still living at home. Now I hardly get it and have not smoked any in the past few Months.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 6:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Alright alcohol can cause brain damage and cannabis does not...I guess cell death was bad terminology.

Not at all, I believe it's a concept that if anything deserves more examination. For instance, death can be considered a limiting factor integral to any process of life, not unlike the epidermis (dead by the time it becomes visible), or any body plan itself. Dead cells or units determine the structure of basically anything. Inanimate matter is shaped by living organisms but in itself is a product of fusion in long-dead stars.

Also, I fail to see how an introspective, personal choice can be seen as evil. That's just condemning an awful LOT of people. Furthermore I contend it really isn't addictive in the least - I've detoxed for a year before, and if you think people overuse these things today, consider first that alcohol was historically safer than drinking water and cannabis was bonfire fodder to be danced around.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 7:24 pm

Dantac wrote:
AspE wrote:
I use it all the time, it helps tremendously. By the way, none of the active ingredients are soluble in water, so brewing a tea is pointless.

Yes it is not water soluble. It is why you boil the thing in about 2 cups of water and a spoonful of butter and boil it for about like 45 minutes so the heat to extract it all, stir and let it cool. The active components will bind to the butter. You then separately brew the green tea (or whatever tea you like) and mix it with the other...stir and serve. Ive found green tea brewed from leaf (not the instant stuff) and teas like earl grey and Ceylon Blackwood tea taste rather good with the slightly butter taste. I squeeze a slice of lemon into it as well for flavor.

I cannot bring myself to smoke the thing. Its why I drink it. Easier to control the low dosage as well in my opinion....and easier to carry with you.
Try this sometime... take a joints worth of pot and a generous tablespoon of butter. Heat the butter until it's all warm and melted and add the pot. Saute' the pot in the butter for 3 minutes stirring all the time. Pour the butter through a tea strainer into a ramekin. Chill the butter until hard. Spread on bread or crackers. Serves two.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

Luzhin wrote:
I'm pretty sure I used to smoke a LOT of it in the 1970's-80's although it's all a bit hazy. :?

I have heard it said that if you remember the sixties, you weren't there! :D

I was there, though I never got into anything much harder than grass (a little opium, though not enough to get addicted). So much for its being a "Gateway Drug". I quit when I was pregnant, for the baby, and never took it up again, since with a baby or small child in the house, one needs to stay in one's right senses (I laughed when I read the speculation above that someone who is high would look at the house on fire and enthuse about how pretty the flames were: I had exactly that notion myself when I was deciding to stay straight, again for the baby's sake.)

I did have bad depression then, especially during the winters. I will say for pot that it is a wonderful antidepressant. It has the unfortunate side effect of making you _stupid_ while you're high, but there were times that I was in such bad shape from depression that I couldn't remember what "happy" felt like, it had been so long. I really appreciated the brief vacation from misery that being high on weekends gave me--it let me remember what "happy" was like, even if it was a synthetic Happy. In those days, there weren't the modern antidepressants. Now, if I get into bad shape, I can go onto Zoloft, and that puts me biochemically near normal, occasionally allows me to feel happy if I have the circumstances for it, just like normal (IOW, Zoloft doesn't _make_ me happy, it allows happiness to happen). (Some of the other antidepressants of the family don't work at all for me, and one gave me cardiac irregularity, which was scary). I will say that marijuana never did anything bad for me, and was beneficial for the depression. Of course, in those years I knew zero about Asperger's, so I'm not sure whether or not there was any effect on my various "quirks of personality" other than the quirk called Clinical Depression. I think that it should be legal, as long as people don't overdo it, like trying to stay high _all_ the time. And just like alcohol, they shouldn't consider themselves capable of doing things like driving a car.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, weed is a drug. Most people think it isn't because it's a plant, but there are all kinds of plants that are highly toxic and can kill you.

Yeah, and their brains rot, they are so unaware of everything around them, and they're oh so NOT funny. Can't stand them!

Please don't spread false information. Marijuana is not toxic. It's actually quite healthy when ingested in vaporized form. There have been no deaths caused by marijuana alone. It's easier to overdose on water than it is to overdose on marijuana.

It has many medicinal benefits. Please visit the following link for more information on medicinal marijuana:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_medical.shtml

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

I would agree with Sweetleaf, in the sense of similarity. I would consider alcohol for similar reasons, except, either I would be totally unaffected or a hopeless drunk.

Same may apply to drugs as well.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 9:45 pm

I spoke as well and for the reasons noted above.. I find it really helps with my anxiety and depression.

For some people, I could easily see it being a problem, but I find that it helps me to let go of things that bother me and think about different problems I face in a different way.

I'm pretty good about keeping it to the weekends, though, since I can feel a little hazy the next day.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 10:11 pm

Syd wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, weed is a drug. Most people think it isn't because it's a plant, but there are all kinds of plants that are highly toxic and can kill you.

Please don't spread false information. Marijuana is not toxic. It's actually quite healthy when ingested in vaporized form. There have been no deaths caused by marijuana alone. It's easier to overdose on water than it is to overdose on marijuana.

It has many medicinal benefits. Please visit the following link for more information on medicinal marijuana:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_medical.shtml

Marijuana has toxins in it. Vaporizing reduces toxins, but they are still there. Considering the fact that toxins in the brain are the leading cause for brain malfunction, I would hardly say that any drug is a miracle cure, especially for autism. Less toxins is better. as far as I know, there are no studies out there that have proved, or disproved if marijuana actually promotes the brain in making toxins. The brain, and certain cells do this as a defence mechanism. Many drugs trigger it, and that is why they work. Also a proper diet that reduces inflammation in the brain, and exercise is helpful. Sure if you could get no toxins, and if the brain produces no toxins from it, it may be the most beneficial for medicinal use. The reduction of neurotoxins in the brain has been proven to reduce autistic symptoms. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I could be wrong, but this is the stuff I have gathered from what I have read. I am drug free, have been for over a year, quit smoking, changed my diet, and exercise more. It had made a huge difference for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 3:02 am

cberg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Not at all, I believe it's a concept that if anything deserves more examination. For instance, death can be considered a limiting factor integral to any process of life, not unlike the epidermis (dead by the time it becomes visible), or any body plan itself. Dead cells or units determine the structure of basically anything. Inanimate matter is shaped by living organisms but in itself is a product of fusion in long-dead stars.

Also, I fail to see how an introspective, personal choice can be seen as evil. That's just condemning an awful LOT of people. Furthermore I contend it really isn't addictive in the least - I've detoxed for a year before, and if you think people overuse these things today, consider first that alcohol was historically safer than drinking water and cannabis was bonfire fodder to be danced around.

I certainly do not think alcohol is evil...but it certainly does carry risks and causes more cognitive impairment than cannabis in a lot of ways, excessive over-use of alcohol can damage the brain...that is all my point is. Also I know historically in some cases water was made into pure to make it drinkable if it was contaminated as the alcohol helped kill off contamination. I drink myself so not dissing it...

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 6:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cberg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I certainly do not think alcohol is evil...but it certainly does carry risks and causes more cognitive impairment than cannabis in a lot of ways, excessive over-use of alcohol can damage the brain...that is all my point is. Also I know historically in some cases water was made into pure to make it drinkable if it was contaminated as the alcohol helped kill off contamination. I drink myself so not dissing it...

I don't see how people think this way, or where people get their information. Alcohol addiction can be a killer. Alcohol impairment can kill. It can kill others because you are on it too. Plain and simple.

And then there is this?

Cannabis dependence or cannabis use disorder is defined in the fifth revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) as a condition requiring treatment.[1]