Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Smoke152
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2014, 4:54 pm

Hello all, I stopped smoking/vaping awhile back, but now I eat too much fastfood (my new addiction). I do workout a lot so Im still fit, but I am getting alil fat on my stomach due to the fact that Im eating more calories. Now my calorie intake a side; Is eating all that crap (bad fats etc) and other crap they have in fastfood worse than nicotine? I've been thinking of vaping again. Also, Im not talking about tobacco.. only nicotine, since I'm going to vape.
What are your guys opinion or thoughts about this.
Thanks for the response.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

Different things affect different people. I'm addicted to sweets. I have to have sweets. I love the brightly coloured sweets. I know they are bad for my teeth and I don't know if they will make me fat or not. But I am too addicted to care.

I am finding it hard to resist fast food too. I keep craving it lately. I grew up in a town with no fast food places, so I never really had fast food unless on the odd occasion if I was out somewhere. But now I have a boyfriend who lives in a place where there are a few fast food restaurants, and so often I go to one of them and get a burger, fries, coke and a macflurry. I try not be believe all that stuff I hear about fast food taking 6 weeks to digest or whatever it is. Maybe a couple of days, but that's it.

As for nicotine, I wouldn't know as I don't smoke. But I do know how addictive it is. I will punch whoever says nicotine is only addictive in Aspies because it is not. I know plenty of NTs that are absolutely in love with their nicotine and will go through Hell and high waters to have a smoke. I could write some stories about crazy things people have done to have a cigarette if some posters don't believe me. Not getting at OP. I'm just warning anyone who doubts me on this because I can prove that nicotine can affect anyone in an extreme way, not just Aspies or teenagers thinking they're cool.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:25 pm

Smoking kills people more directly than fast food.

Smoking, even a relatively small amount of it. causes disease and kills directly.

Fast food is not good for you--if you indulge in an extreme amount of it, you probably will become obese, thereby easing the way towards diabetes.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

Does vaping suppress appetite the same way smoking does?

Nicotine increases your risk of atherosclerosis. So does fast food. I don't know which one has the greater risk. I guess it depends on how much you do of one vs. the other.

I think fast food is worse overall though, because not only are you putting bad food in your body, but with every fast food meal you are neglecting to put good food in your body. And by good food, I mean organic, real, non-GMO food, cooked in healthy oils like olive or coconut or real butter. If you cook for yourself, you can still eat most of the foods that you would eat at a fast food place. But you can choose higher quality ingredients and prepare the food in a healthier way.

The worst thing about fast food, or most restaurant food in general, is the types of oil they use to cook the food. That's where all the bad fats come from. But the conventional cooking oil you get in the grocery store is just as bad. So is margarine.

Also a lot of fast food (and processed foods in the grocery store) may have added sugar and/or fructose. Fructose by itself is especially bad for you, because it has the same effects on the liver as alcohol. Plus if it's a corn derivative, it's GMO.

Personally I think it is just as risky, if not more so, to eat GMO food and trans fats, as it is to smoke cigarettes. But if you get your body used to eating real, natural food long enough, you will probably lose the cravings for such things anyway.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:33 pm

There are supplements for weightlifters, which are more prone to be converted to calories than table sugar. I think it depends on your activity level. If you've ever seen what Olympians eat, you'll immediately recognize that it's physically-impossible to do an epic amount of exercise or hard labor on rabbit food.

Tobacco was first brought to Europe by merchants hoping to establish trade. None of the imports were just ordinary, but were all marketed as superfoods, or drugs to cure every ill.

I couldn't recommend it, in good conscience, to someone with an addictive personality, but cautious amounts are probably therapeutic.

I am saying this as someone, pretty well-behaved and healthy.I don't have any major exceptions to what a doctor is going to tell you.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:06 pm

Fast food is pretty bad for sodium, I know that much. It's ridiculous how much salt goes into some things, particularly at McDonald's.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 9:37 am

Salt pills used to be given to football players, and my grandmother, when she worked in a steamy laundromat. I don't particularly crave it, unless I'm exerting myself in the heat.

I think this is in the same category as fat, sugar, and tobacco.

Get addicted to something healthy, and tell me you still have room for junk.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:46 am

I'd go back to vaping if I were you. Even tobacco isn't so bad if the amounts are small enough. I wouldn't want to recommend cannabis to anybody, on account of its legal problems, but I gather that users, even the ones that mix it with tobacco, have never been shown to be at a greater risk of cancer than non-smokers. Then there's nicotine gum. It doesn't have the "hit" of a hot nicotine delivery system, but the chewing can reduce tension. I wanted to wean myself off it with non-nicotine gum, so was looking for healthy ordinary gum. But most of it contains artificial sweeteners, and the only "natural" one I found was sweetened with xylitol which causes flatulence :oops: Thing is, I reckon junk food is a lot more dangerous. The salt worry has been criticised, e.g.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/food_ ... essure.php

but I wouldn't rule it out, and there's still all the other toxic ingredients and the lack of fibre.

If you can stand it, you might want to try eating healthy fast foods, e.g. fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, salads, sliced wholemeal bread, and some kinds of frozen pizzas aren't all that deadly. My food is mostly that kind of thing but it's tastier than junk food which I find is like eating cardboard. It takes me about 10 minutes a day to prepare my food. I'm still addicted to biscuits, chocolate, and those little pies and muffins, but I keep that in check by not buying a lot of them. Once they're in the house, I'm stuffed, literally as well as metaphorically. I have no will power whatsoever.

I find that getting hyperfocussed and obsessed on tasks or special interests so deeply that I forget all about eating. These days I can go for hours without noticing hunger at all. Skipping breakfast doesn't harm me and now that I never eat breakfast, I don't miss it. I avoid acquiring an alcohol habit, because of the obvious health risks and because I don't want a beer gut.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm

Depends, fast food will make you unhealthy, it can give you internal fat (can't remember the proper name for it) which isn't good and it's very greasy and pretty disgusting, and half the time it's not even like real meat and stuff like that. Smoking is bad because it's got lots of chemicals and crap in it, not sure about nicotine but I think that's just the bit that is the addictive bit. I have no idea what vaping is but if it is just the nicotine bit it's probably better than fast food. Like nicotine patches and gum that people have when they quite smoking is better than smoking because it has none of the chemicals fags have it's just the nicotine bit.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:05 pm

Smoking and fast food are both pretty good at getting you into an early grave.

Try eating raw carrots. I hate them but they're healthy and take so long to chew that you'll never get fat eating the damn things.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

Nicotine is a CNS stimulant, and as such, has appetite suppressant qualities. Eliminating it naturally leads to a feeling of increased appetite. Assuming that you can ingest nicotine alone (via gum, lozenges, or the patch) without actually taking the toxins and carcinogens present in tobacco and its smoke into your body, the long term effects may be less harmful than eating artery clogging foods.

I don't know enough about "vaping" to tell you whether it's more harmful, less harmful, or about the same, as chewing nicotine gum.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:54 pm

tetris wrote:
not sure about nicotine but I think that's just the bit that is the addictive bit.

Some studies say it's harmful (can't recall what it does), but the main harm by far is that it makes people smoke tobacco.

Quote:
I have no idea what vaping is but if it is just the nicotine bit it's probably better than fast food. Like nicotine patches and gum that people have when they quite smoking is better than smoking because it has none of the chemicals fags have it's just the nicotine bit.

The American nicotine gum I've seen isn't gum, it's synthetic plastic. Not sure about the British type. Both types contain quite a few additives, but it's probably not very dangerous. Ideally one shouldn't consume anything that comes from the pharmaceutical industry, unless it seems riskier not to.

You're correct about what vaping is. Patches and gum are cold delivery systems, vaping is a hot delivery system, so it's potentially more helpful for tobacco avoidance. Cold systems aren't very effective for most smokers because the blood nicotine level doesn't rise as sharply or get as high as with hot systems. Some brands of vaping liquid are laced with flavourings that could be harmful. I seem to remember that the choice of propellant may matter from a safety point of view - there was one in particular that seemed as safe as it gets. The temperature seems to be critical - too hot and you'll get dodgy oxidation products in the vapour. I'd shop around and buy from makers who seems to understand these concepts and have engineered the device and liquid to keep the risks low. Vaping is probably getting safer now that it's being sold in high street shops - when they first came out, the industry didn't seem regulated or accountable at all. Whatever the health implications of vaping are, it seems to me it's got to be a lot safer than smoking tobacco.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm

Just doing a quick Google search on vaping, it sounds like it can have some bad effects on your lungs if you do it a lot, but not nearly as much as smoking.

To me eating healthy just means eating REAL food...not stuff that is excessively processed or genetically modified...eating whole foods or minimally processed foods. Choosing organic whenever it is available and you can afford it. Eating meat, eggs, butter and cheese from animals that have been treated humanely and fed things they would normally eat in a yard or pasture (when was the last time you saw a cow or chicken shucking an ear of GMO corn for their supper?)

When you eat fast food, calling some of it "food" is really questionable. I think you would be better off smoking natural tobacco (moderately) and eating half a pound of bacon every day.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:16 pm

Smoking isn't as bad as fast food, otherwise why do they let children have fast food but make it illegal for a child to smoke or drink alcohol? Same with coke. I hear all this stuff about how coke is bad for you, but children are allowed to buy and drink it (unless their parents don't want them to because it might make some hyper but otherwise it is not illegal). I don't know about other countries but it's certainly always been like that when I come from.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Smoking kills people more directly than fast food.

Smoking, even a relatively small amount of it. causes disease and kills directly.

Fast food is not good for you--if you indulge in an extreme amount of it, you probably will become obese, thereby easing the way towards diabetes.

He is not going to smoke he will vape which is dramatically different and much less harmful than smoking.

Even the American Heart Association says vaping is safer than smoking.

If you want to know the difference here is a perfect link:
http://www.ecigalternative.com/smoking-vs-vaping.htm