Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 7:02 pm

...It does appear that I cannot go to Australia or Canada (just to travel , I mean) , due to the same " being hmeless " ffenses that led t my jail time in 2013 (detailed in my lng " ASS-P/amputation " post ~ I guess it may be for the probatin that the vilatin of which got be tyhe Greybar booking , not the county time itself) ~ I dn't =know whether that would be still the case once the probation is over ~ I have the impressin it might be that way in Canada ,anyhw ? Poo . And I was conceived there , to .
Here in (cold) Seattle , you see side-of-the-buses adverts for weekends in British Columbia ~ Not for me , huh ? :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 7:51 pm

That's the s**ts. You'd think those people would have been more flexible. A trip like that would have done you good.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:06 pm

Wow, that sucks.
I actually had a look on the map over this because it's hard to believe for me there are no roads that do not have border control the way we have them in Europe but yeah you don't according to streetview.

This is a local border crossing on the main road from Belgium to Netherlands. NL starts by that white post on the right hand side and the part house on the left is already in NL
[img][800:682]http://i61.tinypic.com/30u648y.jpg[/img]

And this is one I do every couple of weeks out in the sticks this from Netherlands towards Belgium, Belgium starts where the cycle lane (the red road surface) stops :roll:

In France, looking at Belgium which starts at the white bollards

Pictures are courtesy of Google of course :D

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 6:38 pm

...Thank you , CR , though I REALLY NEED! _ I am cole and shelter-homeless in freezing Seattle :-( - other things more immediately :-( .
Guzzle , do you mean that you find it hard to believe that American/Canadian (and American/Mexican) roads do all universally have border guards , whereas EU ones don't ?
I left some words uncorrected from their typisg errors , because of my cold-affected hands (and maybe a sticky computer keyboard) , I'm glad , anyway , they were able to be read .

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

Yup, but even before the days of the EU there were many "smugglers routes'' as they were known. Smaller B-roads in the countryside that are used and known by the locals. I suppose many of these little roads do pre-date the actual borders.

The only 'real' borders I remember from childhood holiday travels through Europe was the old Italy/Jugolavian one and Spain/Andorra one. I call them real borders because that were the only ones we ever had to queue and the contents of the boot got checked.
Belgium/France and Belgium/Netherlands used to have a man in a uniform in a little building but most of the time they would be reading their paper and they would look up and wave you through on a rainy day and usually they made small talk if the weather was decent enough to come out of their shelter.

I am aware of the big fence between the US and Mexico and regarding that it reminds me of the old Wall in Berlin. But I would never have dreamed the US border with Canada was so well guarded all the way. I really imagined it would be more like the NL/BE border or even like the last picture in the case of towns on the border.

Anyway, Take care in cold Seattle and hope you can sort this out with time.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:00 pm

...My main problem is more immedaiite than this , and , in the " Please help me ~ ASS-P " line I detail what I think could help me with it...........I had rfead some while ago about Canada starting to do this sort of very heavy cracking down on Americans , even those with property in Canada who had been going up there for ages , regarding even teenage pot-vandalism s**t - Perhaps one would expect this of Canada , but , considering the well-known circumstances under which AU became settled by Euro-Anglo people in the first place , Australia to ( apparently) be like this ????? (I've only seen second-hand mentions of Oz's attitude .) Well , it wouldn't be the first time the twon dancehall hostess became a respectable schoolmarm/church lady type as they grew older :lol: !

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 4:27 am

Don't assume anything. Call Canada Customs & Immigration and ask. I know people that work there. They will take your phone call and answer all of your questions and then you'll have the straight goods on what you can/can't do, or what you would need to do to be able to cross the border.

I live a little over 10 miles North of the British Columbia-Washington State border. There are plenty of roads that run right alongside the border with nothing separating the two countries but a simple farmer's fence, but there aren't unchecked road crossings. There are trails in the woods and mountains that smugglers use. There are also remote operated cameras and motion sensors that the US Border Patrol uses.

The only unchecked places I've crossed the border before are on the water at beaches. You can sorta cross back and forth on the water semi-freely between BC and Point Roberts Wa because PR isn't attached to the rest of the state and is surrounded by Canada and water. I've also accidentally crossed on Osoyoos lake as the border runs through it. I wouldn't try crossing illegally myself, but people do do it all the time.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 2:10 pm

When are you getting your surgeries? I assume that there will be plenty to do in rehab if you will be staying there residentially.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 7:05 pm

[

...I don't know when I'll be getting the surgeries :( . It very much depends on me being able to get a decent recoverty ~ I detail this in my " Please help me ~ ASS-P " line , and I simply just want to maintain Web contact and ber able to write , etc. - I don't anticipate there being " very much to do " at all , I anticipate - IF :( it happenes - being endlessley laid-up .
(Yes I imagine it would be residential .)
I only want to maintain contact/be4 able to write , essentially , AND be able to listen to some discs I had put aside for the perposes ~ This could even help me to inspiire myself to move again , to walk ~ However , people around me/fate seem to feel " I must knuckle down " and have NOTHING , that I have to be cut off from all Internet use and the music ~ I have ne4xt to no music as is , and that has been so for years :cry: ~ " to disipline myself/put my nose to grindstone " (People like to put OTHER people's noses to the grindstone .
There is no point to having the operation if it's just going to be a ' punish me " exercise . If I can't maintain contact with people/continue writing , etc. , and have the music for rehab , which would just , even given my financial/social state , take a loan/advance that I could immediately start replayiing from my SSI/D ~ Well , I anticipate anyrehab places being empty , at best , place with overly " cheery " nurse-types mostly only wanting me to be a perpetual cripple , and me likely having to force myself to walk , in ad vance of the hospitality being withdrawn .

uote="vickygleitz"]When are you getting your surgeries? I assume that there will be plenty to do in rehab if you will be staying there residentially.[/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 7:13 pm

...I see other bus adverts for I guess smaller chunks of BC than BC in general ~ See ads for Victoria , and for some island , out on the edge , I believe all Canada and all denied to me .
f**k Canada anyway :wink: ! !! !! !! !! (Not directed to Canadians themselves .)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 9:59 am

If it's any comfort to you. This place is about the same as Seattle anyway, grey and damp, except with even more rain. :) You aren't missing out a lot.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 1:11 pm

y-pod wrote:
If it's any comfort to you. This place is about the same as Seattle anyway, grey and damp, except with even more rain. :) You aren't missing out a lot.

Comparable climate, yes.. whenever I'm heading back from Oregon, California or Nevada it starts feeling like home as I approach Seattle.. but the cities & surroundings are certainly not interchangeable. IMO.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 1:23 pm

You would have the opposite problem in the desert states, as summer approaches.

People bypass passport issues, by going through countries with fewer restrictions. An acquaintance reportedly got stuck in a Mexican prison. So, this should be considered a calculated risk.