What WERE you diagnosed with before your OFFICIAL diagonsis?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2007, 11:59 pm

Erlyrisa wrote:
Physcocis Episode... then I ran away from the instituion.. never to be diagnosed again.

Wow you actually got away?!?!? How?!?

drwart
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Mar 2007, 12:33 am

Not official diagnosed as AS as yet
Currently living with:
Bi Polar
SADD
Situational Depression
Anxiety Disorder
Clinical Depression
and Social Phobia

Also have atrial fibrulation which I think is as a result of the anxiety and socail phobia.

Cheers
Don

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 1:54 am

Ticker wrote:
1988-2002 - Weirdo, certifiable b***h, loser, dyslexic again, still might be OCD

glad you are no longer a certifiable b***h :lol:

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 3:07 am

Aspiegirl89 wrote:
AspieDoug wrote:
1957-2007 A weird person with a funny way of walking, talking, relating, and a major disapointment to everyone who crossed my path.

1964 "Visual-perceptual deficits"--(they didn't know crap back then!) I couldn't pay attention and had a "bad attitude" also.

1989 Non-verbal learning disabilities and ADD

2000 Generalized anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social phobia, avoidant personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorder, motor coordination disorder

2007 Asperger's Syndrome.

are you non-verbal? Thats rad!

Only on an Aspie board--I love you, AspieGirl89!

:mrgreen: Rjaye

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 3:15 am

Just ADD is all.

Feibel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2007, 4:43 pm

Hyperlexic
Socially Impaired Gifted Child
Selective Attention and Hyperkinetic (ADHD)
Clinical Depression
Possible OC

38 y-o (2006) --- Gifted, HFA/AS, ADHD and Hyperlexic with some OC traits

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 10:59 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Ticker wrote:
1988-2002 - Weirdo, certifiable b***h, loser, dyslexic again, still might be OCD

glad you are no longer a certifiable b***h :lol:

On some days I probably still am. :roll:

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 8:33 am

1993-1994 - Clinicial Depression (Moderate)
2000-2001 - Generalized Anxiety Disorder
2004-2005 - Asperger's Syndrome
2006 (Summer) - ADHD

dontwanttoknow
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2007, 5:44 pm

Childhood--not sure what I was thought to have then, but I was considered "emotionally disturbed". I had to undergo psychological testing in 1st grade (1963). I was not put in any special education at the time, but after 5th grade and all the social trauma and a lot of crying and meltdowns on my part about being left out and not being able to make friends, I would have been sent to a special school for "emotionally disturbed" kids if my parents hadn't pulled me out of public school and sent me to a Catholic school instead.

As an adult I was never given any diagnoses when I went to therapists until 2000 when I was diagnosed iwth social anxiety disorder (which actually I'd come up with from reading, but it was confirmed by a doctor).

Since then, I've been to a lot of doctors trying to get diagnosed with AS, I've been told I have (in additon to having social anxiety disorder confirmed by every doctor):
Avoidant Personality Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
OCD
And another one that the neuropsychologist I saw added, though she still said I didn't have AS):
Cognitive Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified: Visual-Perceptual Processing Disorder

As I see at least one other person on here was diagnosed with this last disorder, and someone born the same year as me (1957), I'm sure eventually someone will diagnose me with AS as well. Because my problems date back to childhood, it must be something like AS or autism. Even though I did have social anxiety as a kid, I wasn't too socially anxious to have meltdowns (crying anyway) in class and writing little notes about how "friendless" I was, and hoping someone would read them and "rescue" me.

dontwanttoknow
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2007, 5:48 pm

Also in my case, and maybe others, even if we have AS we could still have other disorders--because of the things that happen to Aspies growing up and the rejection many people with AS get, I'm sure at least some people with AS have developed social anxiety disorder or avoidant personality disorder, for instance. In my case I don't believe I was misdiagnosed with those other disorders, I believe I really do have them, but I have AS as well. (the only one I don't agree with is the visual-perceptual one. I do have this, but think that it's a part of AS).

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 8:41 pm

I'm not yet officially diagnosed as an Aspie, but I'm fully convinced that I'm an Aspie and don't have Bipolar II Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder as I've been diagnosed with. Everything that got me those 2 diagnoses fit much better with an Aspie diagnosis. It's all interrelated in my opinion and any diagnoses in addition to Asperger Syndrome are superfluous.

philski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Mar 2007, 9:51 pm

Most of the above.... Doctors back then were way over-rated :roll:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 10:18 pm

Aspiegirl89 wrote:
AspieDoug wrote:
1957-2007 A weird person with a funny way of walking, talking, relating, and a major disapointment to everyone who crossed my path.

1964 "Visual-perceptual deficits"--(they didn't know crap back then!) I couldn't pay attention and had a "bad attitude" also.

1989 Non-verbal learning disabilities and ADD

2000 Generalized anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social phobia, avoidant personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorder, motor coordination disorder

2007 Asperger's Syndrome.

are you non-verbal? Thats rad!

I hate to answer for AspieDoug, but nonverbal learning disorder does not mean a person with this diagnosis is nonverbal, or unable to speak. It means their verbal intelligence and the left hemisphere of their cortex are stronger than the nonverbal, or visual-spatial, intelligence and right hemisphere. They tend to have a poor sense of direction, have poor coordination, have little depth perception, and have poor social skills. It is closely related to Asperger's syndrome but not high-functioning autism.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 8:54 am

I was diagnosed with a specific language disorder at age 7.

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2007, 11:38 pm

Age ~ 4 : autistic

Age ~ 19: at the hospital after I hurt myself: schizophrenic

This was rescinded quite soon after though. The dr. asked if I heard voices. I said yes since I do hear voices in my head all the time. After all, there is nothing wrong with my hearing and my eardrums are in my head. I interpret literally. Other than "yes" answer to his question I did not otherwise speak. This leads to an "Oh no!" diagnosis, I promise.

Then, AS.

QuickPaw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2007, 9:35 am

Birth Wierd

Age 4 Wierder

Age 6 ADHD

Age 8 ADHD and Major Depressive

Age 12 ADHD and Bipolar

Age 14 ADHD, M. Depressive, Social phobia w/ panic attacks
Three months later
Age 15 Schizophrenic added

Age 17 ADHD, Major Depressive, Bipolar w/hallucinations and possible schizoeffective disorder

Age 20 went off all meds. Went back to mild ADHD and Wierd.

Today Age 23 Mild ADHD and undiagnosed Asperger's

As my mother has said, "Its the only diagnosis that explains everything you've ever done since infancy, not including the drug induced mood swings/ hallucinations"

I've been through 7 classes of psych meds.