"part of your world" by the little mermaid describes me

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2014, 1:47 am

it says exactly how i feel about the glass box and society and how i wanna be there sometimes and not be myself but its fine now its gonna be fine

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:04 pm

Just don't comb your hair with a fork, and you'll be fine. I tried that when I was little out of curiosity.

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm

This is really weird- I had a bit of an obsession with the little mermaid when I was little and recently realised why! I still know all of the words because they mean so much to me :).

For anyone who doesn't know, the story is about a mermaid princess who just doesn't fit in with the other princesses, and has a hoard or collection of objects she found from the world above (humans). She wants to visit the land, so makes a pact with an evil witch to give up her voice in order to visit that world.

I think many people with AS (esp females) would relate to ariel. When you realise you're not the same as most you become emotionally reclusive, retreating to get lost in your obsession (often a collection based on your special interests) But then you realise that in order to fit in you have to lose your voice, say and do what is expected and never be able to assert your thoughts or feelings.

I'm going to YouTube search that song again. It's probably going to be the only thing to make me happy tonight so thank you so much for reminding me of it :)

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 12:37 pm

Oh and I definitely brushed my hair with a fork many times :/

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:46 pm

I prefer the Little Mermaid story (by Hans Christian Andersen) in its original form, but both the Disney film and Broadway musical have a wonderful soundtrack.