Scientific books/articles on Asperger's syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

korpal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2016, 11:22 am

I was diagnosed with Asperger's earlier this year. I have read Tony Atwood's "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" and would like to read more such books discussing the present understanding of Asperger's Syndrome (or Autism Spectrum disorder in general). Please let me know (share links) about similar scientifically oriented books or articles which you believe are worth reading.

PS: I am not interested in reading biographies or autobiographies about aspies at this moment.

BlankReg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2016, 2:12 pm

Unfortunately there is little written by people on the spectrum that does not take a somewhat biographical approach. The other choices tend to be very dry clinical books.

That said, I can recommend:

Aspergers from the Inside Out, by Michael Carley (founder of GRASP).

Also read Neurotribes. It takes a biographical approach but only in the service of showing what a neurodiverse culture might look like from an outsider's point of view.

Diagnosed at 51.

"In theory, theory is the same as practice; but in practice it isn't." -- Anonymous Bosch

korpal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2016, 2:31 pm

Thanks! Also, I have no problem in reading dry clinical texts. I will be grateful if you could help make a list of good clinical texts, since where I live there is not much awareness about Autism Spectrum disorders.

BlankReg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2016, 2:43 pm

Well, Tony Atwood's book that you read is the only one I've read I would recommend. There's also Simon Baron Cohen's work, which is good even if he equates autism with a lack of empathy.

I haven't delved too much into the clinical side of things. I reacted to my relatively recent dx just trying to solve the real-life puzzles that had been plaguing me all my life and for me that meant a more biographical approach. Not that one's better than the other. That's just the way I chose.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2016, 2:47 pm

The book I am basing my self-diagnosis on is "Mental Health Aspects of Autism and Asperger Syndrome" by Mohammad Ghaziuddin. It may strike you as 'dry and clinical' but it read as if he had written my biography. I found it on EbscoHost (ebscohost.com) which I accessed free through my local library. If you don't have any way to access EbscoHost, this book is also available at Amazon.

I recommend you pursue getting access to EbscoHost however because they have many other books pertinent to your request, including Succeeding in College with Asperger Syndrome, Communication Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome, Asperger Syndrome and Psychotherapy, Dangerous Encounters (intended for police officers and EMTs responding to emergencies involving autistics), and many others. Once in, you can search on Aspergers Syndrome or Autism.

Hope this info helps.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

korpal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2016, 3:43 pm

Thanks! It's a nice idea to browse through online research databases. I will surely try to obtain access to EbscoHost. Meanwhile I can try other online research databases to which I have access (like JSTOR).

RobBAutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2016, 9:18 pm

Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome: Different Sensory Experiences - Different Perceptual Worlds. By Olga Bogdashina.

korpal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2016, 4:04 pm

Thank you!