For the Aspies who can work and/or are highly educated

Page 4 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 11:56 am

In my area of science, I will say having AS did help in achieving the PhD. It also helps if you can discover some of your special talents and use them to push forward in your studies. However, having AS really does not help much on the job side of things. That is where being able to act as an NT becomes important.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2016, 12:28 pm

The key difference is that Asperger people are able to pull it off. I don't mean to minimize your struggles but realize from my standpoint you may appear lucky. That may not be how you feel.

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2016, 1:06 pm

I have both a great job and a degree. But I am not a super genius or a socialite. My strength has been in just trying to be the best I can be and treating others with kindness (even when I want to smack them upside their head for saying and doing illogical things). When I can help out on something it is usually something I am very good at doing. I love to show others how to do it correctly so they will not ask me over and over how to do it. LOL.
They like that and it tends to keep me employed. And they know I will NOT take offense when they have their baby showers and such and are kind enough to not invite me. :-)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 2:54 pm

spinelli wrote:
The key difference is that Asperger people are able to pull it off. I don't mean to minimize your struggles but realize from my standpoint you may appear lucky. That may not be how you feel.

My luck was in spite of nobody knowing what the hell was going on my parents emphasized everybody is an individual and free range parenting was normal parenting. My luck was coming into the working world at a time when in a much better economy in certain jobs expected no more then functional social skills and you were expected to work by yourself in a cubicle. I was not pulling much of anything off when my elementry school threw me out after second grade (legal then) but my best luck occured when a private school accepted me saving me from the solution of the era, institutionalization. I did not really start pulling things off my until my last two years of college until autistic burnout hit. If I was growing up now with everybody having the ability to contact me and manage me 24 hours and yes ABA there would be nobody calling me anything resembling mild or high functioning. Todays working world with multiple rounds of interviews, personality tests, emphasis on teamwork and open offices doubtful I make it.

I will never underestimate the difficulty autistics milder then me deal with. The whole notion of ranking the difficulties of people on varying levels if the spectrum is odious.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Truckgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2016, 3:51 am

Simply my intelligence got me through. And my fear of further abuse from people should they discover my oddballness. It has not helped with jobs. I've only lasted 2 years in each job. I am currently one year into my current job and my last review it was noted I have odd learning styles and coworkers find me a little weird.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

08 May 2016, 7:18 am

Fantastic posting, there are so many insightful people willing to share their wisdom on this site.

All I can add is to find a subject and career that you enjoy. Competing with the high achievers will only make you miserable. Find your own path and take your time.

Burn out is a b***h.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2016, 8:48 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

This Aspie has 1. Pulled it off for long periods of time 2. Did not do it as well he thought he was because if one has limitations in theory of mind and body language reading one will think they are pulling it off better then they actually are. 3. It caused Autistic burnout

If somebody has a mild condition they can usually cover it up routinely. With ASD the limitations/differences occur in social communication the highest priority of the NT world. Most people communicate 70 or 90 percent depending on what study you read non verbally. So even if a person is legitmataly very mild and pulling it off well it is difficult. The better you pull it off the more people will be disturbed if you slip because you are tired, stressed or just having a bad day. If you are pretty aware, you are constantly aware of the fine line between acting typical or not. This is exhausting, anxiety producing and can and often does lead to one and usually more mental illnesses.

I think this is a really helpful response. I feel like this too and have similar experiences.

I'm pretty bright and got a good degree and post grad qualifications too from a good University but I struggled with keeping a job. At the time I wasn't diagnosed so I couldn't work out why I kept failing. I was aware from about the age of twelve that there was something wrong with me but I didn't know what it was. Struggling to try to pass for normal and have friends made me very stressed, anxious and despressed. Because I am pretty bright academically I was able to keep moving on from one job to the next when things went wrong. On every occasion the problem was of being misunderstood and being unable in any way to sort it out, or even understand what went wrong. Just writing about this makes me feel a bit panicky.

Then later in my life I got an internal injury and developed a chronic pain problem. Once I was dealing with that too it them became impossible to pass for normal because too many of my internal resources were taken up pushing the pain to one side in my self and there weren't enough left over to manage social things using logic, which is the only way I can manage it. People began to notice - neighbours asked me what was wrong with me, my minister asked me a lot of questions too. Eventually I was on holiday with a friend and her son and my son. Her son has autism and she gently told me that I do many of the same autistic type things that her son does. That led to me getting tested and eventually for my GP sending me for an evaluation which lead to diagnosis.

I still very much want to work and think I could manage to work part-time in a sitting down role despite the pain problems, but I'm finding it hard to get back into the job market.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

josh338
Raven
Raven

08 May 2016, 9:42 am

FedUpAsp wrote:
I've thought about this topic all night and how not to offend anyone. One of my big special interests/obsessions is to become highly educated. I can't pass as an NT and I'm not sure I'm smart enough to tackle college/university and find work.

Would you say you were able to find and keep work or become highly educated due to being a highly intelligent aspie, or the ability to pass as NT, or both?

I'd say both, the caveat being that I'm not always good at either finding (too much social anxiety to ask -- jobs have to fall into my alp) or keeping work (do brilliantly if work is challenging but struggle if it's not and terrible with corporate politics and human interaction).

My education was also erratic, I have a high genius IQ so could perform prodigiously at times or and make up for slack but I could also flake out. So forex I'd do brilliantly in class but be unable to submit my term paper and get an incomplete.

I'd say ASD (assuming I do have it -- official diagnosis is still in process) has been pretty crippling for me and left me in the frustrating position of not coming anywhere near my potential.

JDjdesq
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2016, 11:24 am

I graduated undergrad with a 3.9 and am working on my JD at one of Harvard/Yale/Stanford. I studied communication in UG, which completely revolutionized my understanding of the NT world, allowing me to play their game. This helped a lot, and I've been able to pass as just a quirky NT. Even when my act slips, people will just write it off as being a law student.

Passing as NT was necessary, but played only a minor role in getting me to where I am. My hyperlogical autistic thinking makes academic work a breeze, and the LSAT was second nature for me. It's all about being critical, pedantic, and explicit. On balance, I think my autistic traits have helped my career more than they have hurt it.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 12:21 pm

I understand that some people on the autism spectrum have to change a whole lot of their behavior if they don't want to be picked out, so they might use the phrase, "passing for NT." I really feel for anyone who feels they have to do this, as it sounds exhausting and oppressive. I can't relate to it directly though.

slave wrote:
In my view, you need to commit to a lifetime of studying social interaction. When you observe individuals interacting ask yourself questions as you watch, eg. Why is she smiling? Is he telling the truth? Why is her intonation that way? How do they decide when the conversation is over?

Analyze, compare, film yourself, watch the film, try expressions in the mirror, try different intonations, copy NT's, and so on.

Doesn't everyone learn social skills through observation? How is that different than anyone else? Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm still trying to figure all of this out.

I know social diplomacy seems to come naturally to some, and those are usually the people I ask for advice. Like some of the other folks in this thread, I find I'm always asking questions about the right thing to do, that observation alone doesn't seem to be enough. There are lots of generalities but there are so many situations that are very different. I can't always look back on something I've observed.

I also find that it's helpful to focus on what the other people in the conversation will value, especially if it's different than what I value at the time. My mistakes tend to happen either when I blurt out something without thinking, or when I misunderstand what other people want.

I do feel like I've made a lot of social blunders in my life though, so I always wonder how many more social blunders that I've made, as compared to other people. I especially would like to compare myself to those who have a direct, analytical communication style like mine, and who actually do make an effort. Comparing myself to the natural socialites isn't useful, nor is comparing myself to those Who share my communication style, find themselves being rude, and simply don't care.

It doesn't help that I can't read body language or facial expressions because I'm blind. I also refuse to "pass" as anything I'm not. That refusal alone is going to get me into trouble, but I accept that risk. What I want is to be who I am, while improving my social understanding. Is that "passing?"

I hope I haven't annoyed or offended anyone, as that wasn't my intention.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 3:30 pm

For me it was more learning by floundering rather then careful observation and analysis. Neither me nor anybody else during my formative years could know I have theory of mind and body language reading issues, all we knew I was a different, a loner, painfully shy, another words my basic flaws was in my personality not that I have a different social skills set then 98 percent of everybody else. Without knowing what I did not have, what was there to learn?. I did something it worked or it did not. After a number of times doing the same thing and it not working maybe I learned, unintentional behavoir modification. Sometimes that is, because of bieng into repetative behavoirs I had a hard time doing anything about it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 3:46 pm

Thanks for sharing, AsPartOfMe. That makes sense now, and it's true; it's hard to know what you don't know.

I never like to say that anyone has a flawed personality though, unless they really are a lousy person. It sounds so demeaning.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 6:55 pm

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

This Aspie has 1. Pulled it off for long periods of time 2. Did not do it as well he thought he was because if one has limitations in theory of mind and body language reading one will think they are pulling it off better then they actually are. 3. It caused Autistic burnout

If somebody has a mild condition they can usually cover it up routinely. With ASD the limitations/differences occur in social communication the highest priority of the NT world. Most people communicate 70 or 90 percent depending on what study you read non verbally. So even if a person is legitmataly very mild and pulling it off well it is difficult. The better you pull it off the more people will be disturbed if you slip because you are tired, stressed or just having a bad day. If you are pretty aware, you are constantly aware of the fine line between acting typical or not. This is exhausting, anxiety producing and can and often does lead to one and usually more mental illnesses.

I think this is a really helpful response. I feel like this too and have similar experiences.

I'm pretty bright and got a good degree and post grad qualifications too from a good University but I struggled with keeping a job. At the time I wasn't diagnosed so I couldn't work out why I kept failing. I was aware from about the age of twelve that there was something wrong with me but I didn't know what it was. Struggling to try to pass for normal and have friends made me very stressed, anxious and despressed. Because I am pretty bright academically I was able to keep moving on from one job to the next when things went wrong. On every occasion the problem was of being misunderstood and being unable in any way to sort it out, or even understand what went wrong. Just writing about this makes me feel a bit panicky.

Then later in my life I got an internal injury and developed a chronic pain problem. Once I was dealing with that too it them became impossible to pass for normal because too many of my internal resources were taken up pushing the pain to one side in my self and there weren't enough left over to manage social things using logic, which is the only way I can manage it. People began to notice - neighbours asked me what was wrong with me, my minister asked me a lot of questions too. Eventually I was on holiday with a friend and her son and my son. Her son has autism and she gently told me that I do many of the same autistic type things that her son does. That led to me getting tested and eventually for my GP sending me for an evaluation which lead to diagnosis.

I still very much want to work and think I could manage to work part-time in a sitting down role despite the pain problems, but I'm finding it hard to get back into the job market.

OMFD!! !
i relate to EVERY word.
fwiw you are not alone.

I hope u can find a way forward.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 7:17 pm

DataB4 wrote:
I understand that some people on the autism spectrum have to change a whole lot of their behavior if they don't want to be picked out, so they might use the phrase, "passing for NT." I really feel for anyone who feels they have to do this, as it sounds exhausting and oppressive. I can't relate to it directly though.

slave wrote:
In my view, you need to commit to a lifetime of studying social interaction. When you observe individuals interacting ask yourself questions as you watch, eg. Why is she smiling? Is he telling the truth? Why is her intonation that way? How do they decide when the conversation is over?

Analyze, compare, film yourself, watch the film, try expressions in the mirror, try different intonations, copy NT's, and so on.

Doesn't everyone learn social skills through observation? How is that different than anyone else? Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm still trying to figure all of this out.

I know social diplomacy seems to come naturally to some, and those are usually the people I ask for advice. Like some of the other folks in this thread, I find I'm always asking questions about the right thing to do, that observation alone doesn't seem to be enough. There are lots of generalities but there are so many situations that are very different. I can't always look back on something I've observed.

I also find that it's helpful to focus on what the other people in the conversation will value, especially if it's different than what I value at the time. My mistakes tend to happen either when I blurt out something without thinking, or when I misunderstand what other people want.

I do feel like I've made a lot of social blunders in my life though, so I always wonder how many more social blunders that I've made, as compared to other people. I especially would like to compare myself to those who have a direct, analytical communication style like mine, and who actually do make an effort. Comparing myself to the natural socialites isn't useful, nor is comparing myself to those Who share my communication style, find themselves being rude, and simply don't care.

It doesn't help that I can't read body language or facial expressions because I'm blind. I also refuse to "pass" as anything I'm not. That refusal alone is going to get me into trouble, but I accept that risk. What I want is to be who I am, while improving my social understanding. Is that "passing?"

I hope I haven't annoyed or offended anyone, as that wasn't my intention.

@DataB4

:D
Both NT's and ppl with ASD learn in part through observation. The ave. NT seems to learn more and better about social interaction through said observation....and it becomes "unconscious" and "unthinkingly automatic" to them.

Many of us have to consciously think through ideas, even scripts of how to do what they unthinkingly seem to do.

NT social acumen is on a Bell curve. ASD social acumen is also on a Bell curve. It's just that it's a different curve.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

NTs ALSO require and receive some instruction and advice throughout their lives on social behavior. Many will at times ask other NTs what to do or how to proceed. They can be uncertain as well.

Social interaction is complex sh*t EVEN for them.

Some NTs are gifted socially...most are average.

Same with us...some ASD ppl can "pass" ......while others are virtually clueless and remain so throughout their life.

Most of us struggle with some but not all social interaction.

For me it was very awkward, painful, and confusing....it took a LONG time for me to become reasonably adept.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 9:56 pm

Hi slave,

What you say about the bell curves makes sense, and it sounds like the two curves intersect in certain situations. Maybe that's why finding the reasons behind social difficulties is not clear cut.

As for having to think through social situations consciously, I find myself doing that more often, not less. I know that's partly because I recently took a fun class on sales/business development and communication styles. To improve understanding, we had to try to pass as people of other communication styles different from our own, and match our style with that of a partner. I've also been learning about body language and what I'm missing out on due to my blindness, so I feel more self-conscious. I wonder what you would've thought of the class.

All this knowledge and practice is helpful, and yet, because I've learned a lot, I have to think about it in order to put it into practice. I don't get the sense that this learning experience was as profound for many of my classmates as it was for me though.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 5:03 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Hi slave,

What you say about the bell curves makes sense, and it sounds like the two curves intersect in certain situations. Maybe that's why finding the reasons behind social difficulties is not clear cut.

As for having to think through social situations consciously, I find myself doing that more often, not less. I know that's partly because I recently took a fun class on sales/business development and communication styles. To improve understanding, we had to try to pass as people of other communication styles different from our own, and match our style with that of a partner. I've also been learning about body language and what I'm missing out on due to my blindness, so I feel more self-conscious. I wonder what you would've thought of the class.

All this knowledge and practice is helpful, and yet, because I've learned a lot, I have to think about it in order to put it into practice. I don't get the sense that this learning experience was as profound for many of my classmates as it was for me though.

Kewl!

class sounds very interesting!

sry was afk for a while.

:D :D :D :D